VTTW Board Index
May 03, 2024, 09:39:11 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My first experience in The Swamp  (Read 2792 times)
Creek Walker
« on: September 28, 2015, 10:09:37 EDT »

I hesitate to even post this here since we're all still licking our wounds but I made my first trip to Gainesville this weekend and it was awesome. I've heard all sorts of horror stories all my life about visiting fan treatment at BHG, but we interacted with a lot of UF fans both before and after the game and they were all very pleasant. We talked to different UF fans on the way back to the car after the game and had nice chats with all. Everyone was very complimentary, admitted that UF was extremely lucky to win the game, etc. (There was the 10-year-old boy who did the Gator chomp in my face.  )

Florida's pregame traditions pale in comparison to ours. I was very surprised at how few people showed up for the Gator Walk. The scene around the immediate stadium was a big fat meh. I was surprised after the game to hear someone say the atmosphere felt like UF/UT games in the '90s. I wasn't feeling much of anything. The Pride of the Sunshine's pregame routine doesn't even come close to measuring up to the Pride of the Southland's.

I really liked the stadium and campus layout though. The residential scene right up to the edge of the stadium with all the tailgating under the moss-laden trees was a pretty cool scene.

Even at its loudest, BHG can't compare with Neyland in terms of noise. However, there were a lot of things I liked about the gameday experience. When other sports teams are introduced during timeouts (golf, tennis, etc.), there was actually a huge roar from the crowd, rather than polite clapping like you get at Neyland. And the scene after the game was spectacular. I still have the sound of 90,000 fans chanting "It's Great To Be A Florida Gator" as they filed out of the stadium ringing in my ears. It took probably 15 minutes to get through the concourse and onto the street, and it was one constant chant the entire time as everyone was filing out. I've never seen anything to compare in Neyland, even after a big win.

All in all, Florida was probably my favorite gameday visit in the SEC, although I haven't been to them all. (I hope to get to TAMU and still need to go to The Grove.) I'll definitely be back...hopefully in 2017.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2015, 10:40:25 EDT »

The noise level was nowhere near the levels "back in the day"
The loudest it got was after the last TD and that was Autsen level at best.

The pick six by Peyton in '97 was the loudest single event I've ever witnessed at a sporting event. It was also one of the two hottest games I've attended in the swamp.  The hottest was 2005/2007 (maybe Emeril can state the year as he was there as well)

FWIW I was in the North end zone, row 13 (middle of UF student section) in 97 and on the North 47, East stands, row 7 Saturday night so I suspect the reference data for sound should be similar

BTW, watching Coach A and staff get plays in when we are rolling is interesting.  It is interesting how fast plays are called in the booth and transmitted to the team

I've never had any real issues with the UF fans.  There are the random student idiots, usually liquored up but the. Or, is like most schools.  I did see a fight in the concourse on the way out and had one student chomp in my face but his foot seemed to suffer an injury at that time and he retreated to determine the damage while I continued on my way ...

Besides, O&B, Saltwater and the rest of the Parrot Heads always treat us right before the game

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2015, 03:20:25 EDT »

All in all, Florida was probably my favorite gameday visit in the SEC, although I haven't been to them all. (I hope to get to TAMU and still need to go to The Grove.) I'll definitely be back...hopefully in 2017.

About 10 years ago I decide to visit every SEC stadium and have not regretted it.  I still have to go to Tamu, whenever we eventually play them there.  My nephew is a freshman in HS and will probably go to Tamu, so if it takes the Vols too long I might go with him, lol.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2015, 03:31:52 EDT »

About 10 years ago I decide to visit every SEC stadium and have not regretted it.  I still have to go to Tamu, whenever we eventually play them there.  My nephew is a freshman in HS and will probably go to Tamu, so if it takes the Vols too long I might go with him, lol.
we play aTm at college station next year
I will be there

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2015, 03:38:46 EDT »

we play aTm at college station next year
I will be there

Cool.  Me too.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: