VTTW Board Index
May 07, 2024, 02:40:05 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So I’m considering going up to the ‘Ham for the championship tomorrow…  (Read 1020 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: May 29, 2021, 10:04:04 EDT »

Has anyone been there before? How hard is to get a ticket to the title game on the street?

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2021, 11:57:17 EDT »

No idea.  But if you go, good luck!

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Creek Walker
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2021, 04:52:38 EDT »

I'm not even sure watching Tennessee in a championship game is reason enough to drive into Birmingham. Hoover is certainly nicer than most of the rest of the city, but all in all Birmingham has to be the most wretched city in the South.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2021, 06:54:39 EDT »

I'm not even sure watching Tennessee in a championship game is reason enough to drive into Birmingham. Hoover is certainly nicer than most of the rest of the city, but all in all Birmingham has to be the most wretched city in the South.

I mean I’ve been to B’ham before. By “there”, I meant the SECT. And I think you’re being too hard on them. In fact, I’d say they’re the nicest large city in all of Alabama. Which admittedly is a VERY low bar. But it beats the hell out of Mobile and Montgomery. Maybe Huntsville is nicer- I haven’t been there in years, but I remember it being decent.

At any rate, I’m not going. Couldn’t make arrangements for anyone to watch the dog.

Creek Walker
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2021, 07:39:15 EDT »

I mean I’ve been to B’ham before. By “there”, I meant the SECT. And I think you’re being too hard on them. In fact, I’d say they’re the nicest large city in all of Alabama. Which admittedly is a VERY low bar. But it beats the hell out of Mobile and Montgomery. Maybe Huntsville is nicer- I haven’t been there in years, but I remember it being decent.

At any rate, I’m not going. Couldn’t make arrangements for anyone to watch the dog.

It was more of a rhetorical statement than an informative one. 
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2021, 04:37:06 EDT »

Huntsville is nicer, trust me.  I've never actually been to Mobile, only passed through, but yeah, Montgomery is a cess pool.  Many years ago my Accura Integra clutch went bad about 5 miles from the Honda dealer in Mongtobmery, which is on the south bypass.  Fortunate timing for me, as I was about to venture down 231 to Dothan, which is pretty much a wasteland!  I managed to get the car to the dealer (thank God for smart phone map apps) and had to stay overnight while they replaced the clutch.  The staff at Honda told me not to venture out of my hotel a couple miles down the road for anything, stay inside with the door locked.  Which I did (managed to eat near the dealer before they gave me a shuttle to the hotel).  I have heard stories from people from that area also.  Birminginham has a few nice areas, but you have to look for them.  Crime-wise it competes with New Orleans for highest murder rate, so it has that going for it. 

Huntsville by comparison is very nice.  There are a few bad areas of course, but where in my neighborhood in south Huntsville I once left my garage door up for 3 days while I was on a trip to JPL.  No worries!  (that was when I first moved in and my neighbor didn't know me very well yet. It happened again years later and he closed the door for me).

Huntsville is actually booming. The FBI is moving all their investigative diagnostics (mostly pyro and explosives) here including a substantial amount of training, about 5000 people.  Downtown has been revitalized.  During a recent illness a retired buddy gave  me a ride to the hospital which is in downtown Huntsville, he had worked there 30 years and said it only changed a bit, but in the last year or so it changed so much that he barely recognized it.  We have had three major road projects in areas that needed it in the last 2-3 years, the main north-south route (called the Parkway but actually a controlled access US 431) is being renovated all up and down it's length (getting rid of a lot of the 40s and 50s era tin roof warehouse type buildings).  And not to forget, the Space Force HQ is on it's way (but probably won't fully relocate here till 2026).

I've always been somewhat ambivalent about Huntsville, and have always said it's "not bad, you could do worse but you could do better".  Honestly if not for the fact that my folks are in Knoxville and that I have a brother in Memphis and a sister in Atlanta, I would have long ago left for Pasadena , Houston, Cape Canaveral or maybe even DC.  But at this point in time Huntsville appears to have a bright future.  I tell the younger guys on my team that all the time (younger employees from outside bammer, which is most of them, often talk about leaving after a few years. IMO they would do well to stay).

I don't know that Huntsville will ever approach the type of growth Charlotte and Nashville have seen, but it may do a decent approximation.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2021, 05:51:07 EDT »

The Hoover Met was once a really nice minor league facility, but since Regions Field was built and The Barons moved back to Birmingham, it's been a so so facility since. 

It's Hoover High's baseball and football facility, now, and isn't kept up like it once was. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: