VTTW Board Index
May 04, 2024, 09:34:59 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I'm getting a creeping feeling of dread  (Read 4398 times)
SmokeyJoe
« on: November 05, 2017, 06:20:58 EST »

That Butch will be the coach next year. I think 5-7 will bring
him back 
73Volgrad
All-SEC

This is me on Liberty Island weekend before 9-11

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2017, 06:35:50 EST »

I just have the feeling Currie is just like Hamilton and cannot make a football coaching decision without approval from the main big money donors. With the new tax code likely to eliminate the tax deduction for athletic contributions, the money donations for the AD will drop. If the big donors do not allow Currie to fire Butch, money to AD will drop. I just get the feeling Currie is a Yes man hired to only do the business of the big money for football. He has shown zero independence to date and just gives the appearance of a mouthpiece. Blast me if you like and say I do not know what I say. But someone prove I am wrong. Let it play out? Why. This team is no better now that when he was hired. The roster may have more talent, but Butch has shown ZERO ability to hire assistants that can develop it. He has shown the ability to sign talented players that quit on him. Maybe those players are smarter than the fans claiming "All is well". It is just the injuries.
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2017, 07:22:15 EST »

Butch isn't going to be back.  He knows it. 

The only question is whether or not he will finish the season. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2017, 07:45:39 EST »

Butch isn't going to be back.  He knows it. 

The only question is whether or not he will finish the season. 

I hope you are right. I've had enough. Not that I matter 
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2017, 11:04:02 EST »

I hope you are right. I've had enough. Not that I matter 

I definitely don't matter to the UT athletic department, but I'm with you. I don't think that we are alone. Seems that I can hear voices in the distance.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2017, 11:15:24 EST »

I just have the feeling Currie is just like Hamilton and cannot make a football coaching decision without approval from the main big money donors. With the new tax code likely to eliminate the tax deduction for athletic contributions, the money donations for the AD will drop. If the big donors do not allow Currie to fire Butch, money to AD will drop. I just get the feeling Currie is a Yes man hired to only do the business of the big money for football. He has shown zero independence to date and just gives the appearance of a mouthpiece. Blast me if you like and say I do not know what I say. But someone prove I am wrong. Let it play out? Why. This team is no better now that when he was hired. The roster may have more talent, but Butch has shown ZERO ability to hire assistants that can develop it. He has shown the ability to sign talented players that quit on him. Maybe those players are smarter than the fans claiming "All is well". It is just the injuries.

I keep hearing that Currie is controlled by Haslem, big donors, etc, etc.  I haven't seen anything other than what appears to be frustrated fans lashing out.  I'm going with that until proven otherwise. 

I think Butch is gone.  I think it will follow the Dooley pattern and come right after LSU (ie Sunday prior to last regular season game).  That just seems to be how UT writes contracts.  We will see.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
LouisVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2017, 01:36:31 EST »

Well,  he did beat UMass,  Ind.  State,  and So.  Miss. , plus that signature win over 4-4 Ga.  Tech.

My pronouns are:  I, Me, My, and Mine
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2017, 03:01:14 EST »

Well,  he did beat UMass,  Ind.  State,  and So.  Miss. , plus that signature win over 4-4 Ga.  Tech.

Pitiful isn't it!!! In year 5 to boot
volpride
Walk-On

Give.Him.Six

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2017, 09:50:17 EST »

That Butch will be the coach next year. I think 5-7 will bring
him back 

DO we really think we can get to 5-7? Even if we do, I don't believe he will be back.

"The hardest moments are a call to something greater"
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2017, 10:17:46 EST »

According to some of the posts on VQ, Butch has been calling donors asking for their support for another year. I haven't read anything from the mods there that confirm this, but others have posted that the mods have confirmed it to be true.

I was also told that Basilio mentioned it this morning.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2017, 12:30:54 EST »

According to some of the posts on VQ, Butch has been calling donors asking for their support for another year. I haven't read anything from the mods there that confirm this, but others have posted that the mods have confirmed it to be true.

I was also told that Basilio mentioned it this morning.

I have a hard time believing that.  Watching him in pressers, Butch looks defeated; like a guy who's already checked out.  And even if it IS true, how much support is he going to find?  I've never seen this fanbase this united against a sitting coach, even in Dooley's last year.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 12:36:33 EST by Black Diamond Vol » Logged

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2017, 02:21:55 EST »

I have a hard time believing that.  Watching him in pressers, Butch looks defeated; like a guy who's already checked out.  And even if it IS true, how much support is he going to find?  I've never seen this fanbase this united against a sitting coach, even in Dooley's last year.

I'd be shocked if there's much more support for Butch other than his family.....not sure about all of them.
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2017, 03:33:36 EST »

I didn't mean to imply that I thought that Butch has any support from donors, only tthat he was reaching out to them. If mods at VQ confirmed it, I'd probably be willing to bet that it is/was happening.

What does that mean? I have no idea. It could be he is frantic and loves his job and really wants to keep it. It could be that he's been given the impression that there is a chance for him, if enough of the boosters are on board with him. It could be that Sexton has tried finding Butch a landing sight and has found that nobody wants to hire his sorry self, so Butch is all of a sudden forced to try to save this job. It could be lots of other things, too. Who knows?

I really don't see how anyone in his right mind could support Butch at this point - unless you were a close family member, and even that would be a stretch. Surely donors can see that keeping him would cripple this team for years to come. Stranger things have happened,though.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2017, 05:12:51 EST »

DO we really think we can get to 5-7? Even if we do, I don't believe he will be back.

Absolutely.  I think we should be favored against Vandy, particularly with an interim coach, and we at least have a shot at Mizzou.  We only need one more win.

That's not really a standard to achieve though.  More like the probable outcome of this season IMO.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: