VTTW Board Index
May 05, 2024, 03:21:30 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Character of our Bball team  (Read 3996 times)
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: January 17, 2013, 09:32:26 EST »

This is only based on a small sample.  Mostly the Memphis game, but I did see a chunk of the Kentucky game and the end of the Ole Miss game.  The bball team seems unispired and that they only play well enough to keep it close and then find a way to lose.  I hate to be negative, but they seem to be playing not to lose and scared and not to win.  And their morale seems just awful.

But maybe it's just early season jitters and they will turn it around.  I hope so.   Just not that impressed so far.  Adimittedly it's a small sample though.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
WoodstockVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 09:39:59 EST »

Tennessee is back to the Buzz Peterson era

Lets go Braves,win the National League East!

LETS GO VOLS,KICK SEC A&& IN 2013!!!
Creek Walker
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 10:07:01 EST »

Tennessee is back to the Buzz Peterson era

Buzz had considerably more talent than Cuonzo currently has.
101stDad
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 10:50:12 EST »

Early season jitters? 

The team is exactly halfway through its 30 game regular season schedule.  We're way past the early season. 
WoodstockVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2013, 12:17:57 EST »

Early season jitters? 

The team is exactly halfway through its 30 game regular season schedule.  We're way past the early season. 

I wish Cuonzo would have stayed at Missouri State. A whole lot of the problems are probably coaching

Lets go Braves,win the National League East!

LETS GO VOLS,KICK SEC A&& IN 2013!!!
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2013, 08:20:39 EST »

Early season jitters? 

Early SEC season, which is the real season.  IMO the first 10-12 games are a warmup.  Only 3 into the SEC sched....

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2013, 02:54:39 EST »

Early SEC season, which is the real season.  IMO the first 10-12 games are a warmup.  Only 3 into the SEC sched....

Not for the thing that counts in basketball . . . the postseason. You won't hear the selection committees talk about the non-conference schedule as a "warmup."

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2013, 04:29:16 EST »

Not for the thing that counts in basketball . . . the postseason. You won't hear the selection committees talk about the non-conference schedule as a "warmup."

Sure.  Of course not.  I am not referring to that, but to the fact that teams can get hot near the end of the season, after taking lumps early.  I am holding out hope for that.

OTOH, as 101st points out, it's time and past time to start showing they know how to win.  I think they have enough talent, though it could be better, but in the limited amount I have watched them they seem to lack the killer instinct.   Maybe in the next few games they can find it...

73Volgrad
All-SEC

This is me on Liberty Island weekend before 9-11

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2013, 07:55:27 EST »

After watching this team, I do not think it is character as much as talent.  Most do not look like they know how to play anything, but street ball. Frankly, if I were Kenny Hall, I would be ashamed that I could not score and rebound with his size. Also this team seems to play with the passion and demeanor that Coach Martin projects on the sideline.

Coach Martin needs to not emphasize defense as much and needs to remind and reinforce that the object of the game is to score more points than the other team. And that it is not a crime to steal the ball or intercept a pass occasionally.
101stDad
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2013, 08:08:54 EST »

Sure.  Of course not.  I am not referring to that, but to the fact that teams can get hot near the end of the season, after taking lumps early.  I am holding out hope for that.

OTOH, as 101st points out, it's time and past time to start showing they know how to win.  I think they have enough talent, though it could be better, but in the limited amount I have watched them they seem to lack the killer instinct.   Maybe in the next few games they can find it...

I believe that we've got some "athlete" talent, but little "basketball" talent, and especially when it comes to shooting the basketball.  I hope to be pleasantly surprised at season's end with the W/L record, but I certainly wouldn't bet on it.  No matter how "athletic" or good on defense an SEC level team is, if you can't score you aren't going to win. 
Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2013, 08:54:53 EST »

I believe that we've got some "athlete" talent, but little "basketball" talent, and especially when it comes to shooting the basketball.  I hope to be pleasantly surprised at season's end with the W/L record, but I certainly wouldn't bet on it.  No matter how "athletic" or good on defense an SEC level team is, if you can't score you aren't going to win. 

They are not smart basketball players either. Same mistakes over and over and that is the result of selfish play or streetball as noted above. Golden hasn't gotten better at being a pg because he doesnt want to be one.

The older I get the more I feel like the skills that make you a good player in any sport and inherent and all you can do is enhance them. It has to be that or these guys would get better at shooting, passing or playing the situation. None of which we do very well.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: