VTTW Board Index
May 04, 2024, 11:45:58 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stuart Mandel wasn't kind to UT on hiring Butch Jones  (Read 4491 times)
WoodstockVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: January 18, 2013, 07:28:01 EST »

He gave Tennessee a B for hiring Butch Jones.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-football/news/20130115/coach-hire-grades/?sct=uk_bf4_a4     

Lets go Braves,win the National League East!

LETS GO VOLS,KICK SEC A&& IN 2013!!!
UTnbama
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 10:36:20 EST »

Right on Wood, this is bovine excrement and Stew baby is full of it!
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2013, 01:33:29 EST »

Sight unseen, a B is a far more generous grade than I'd give the hire, especially considering the underwhelming (on paper) staff he's brought with him.  But rating these hires before any of them have coached their first game is folly anyway.  Hopefully Butch will prove me wrong.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2013, 04:50:48 EST »

I didn't think the rating was bad.  In fact, I would give Butch a B myself, so far.   

I agree with BDV...Butch will prove it on the field or he won't.  We will see.

I notice that he mentions Dooley was a "D".  Can't argue with that.

So if Stuart is any good at this, a B sounds better than a D right now. 

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
WoodstockVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2013, 04:52:46 EST »

I didn't think the rating was bad.  In fact, I would give Butch a B myself, so far.   

I agree with BDV...Butch will prove it on the field or he won't.  We will see.

So if Stuart is any good at this, a B sounds better than a D right now. 

I agree about that. I think Tennessee's hire of Butch is better than Kentucky's hire of Mark Stoops

101stDad
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2013, 07:00:35 EST »

I believe that a "B" is more than fair.  Honestly, I don't see any other schools with "A" hires in this cycle, either. 

Realistically, UT wasn't going to get an "A" choice, and no- Gruden wasn't any more realistic than were Bob Stoops or Gary Patterson.  Those guys weren't going to move anywhere. 

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2013, 09:24:30 EST »

I'll argue with that.  Dooley is destined to go down as one of the worst hires in SEC history.  If he's not an "F", then I don't know who is.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2013, 09:39:43 EST »

I'll argue with that.  Dooley is destined to go down as one of the worst hires in SEC history.  If he's not an "F", then I don't know who is.

Yeah yeah yeah  I know.  And actually he didn't say "D" just implied it.  He actually says it was one of "the most dumbfounding moves".  And in that context, it was a grade assigned when Dooley was hired, not when he was fired.  Which is to say, no matter how desperate we were in late Jan 2010, the Dooley hiring was still a D.

Now was he an F in retrospect?  Probably.  You can find some positives.  We have a full roster.  We are stocked with mid-tier SEC talent.  The arrest blotter cleaned up considerably.  So maybe a D- or F+.

You really should read blogs that you comment on, lol.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 10:02:24 EST by BanditVol » Logged

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2013, 09:52:36 EST »

Okay, I found the link back to 2010.  I clicked it and he actually assigned Derrick a grade of "C" in 2010.  Well that was too high even for 2010,  and I think I would have said so at the time. 

WoodstockVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2013, 08:28:12 EST »

Okay, I found the link back to 2010.  I clicked it and he actually assigned Derrick a grade of "C" in 2010.  Well that was too high even for 2010,  and I think I would have said so at the time. 

What grade did the Lame Kiffin hire get in 2009?

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2013, 06:14:19 EST »

What grade did the Lame Kiffin hire get in 2009?

He only started doing it in 2010.  He did give USC a C for hiring Kiffin in 2010 though.   

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: