VTTW Board Index
May 19, 2024, 01:00:40 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Before we anoint Dobbs as next years Heisman frontrunner, let's not forget  (Read 4582 times)
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: November 03, 2014, 06:47:57 EST »

he was playing against USCe's defense. I still remember his performances from last year. I reserve judgement until he faces a real D again. He may come out this week and look like Jim Bob Cooter. That being said, I can't remember a better, more exciting performance by a Vol since.......ever. I don't understand how he could not be on the field game 1. Makes me doubt Jones evaluation ability.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 07:20:04 EST by volsboy » Logged

volsboyinsodak
VOLMAN
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2014, 07:47:48 EST »

would be the week for it as don't play.    Seriously, what our offense did exceeded what many offense of other teams were able to accomplish against the same crappy Cock defense so I think that reflects well on the offense. It's been the defense that has been baffling to me....maybe they're just exhausted physically, emotionally and mentally...it's been a tough stretch for a very thin roster. I think this off week, er excuse me "work week", comes at a great time to get everyone rested in all aspects and come out fresh against the remaining teams so we can secure those needed 2 wins.   
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2014, 08:06:46 EST »

he was playing against USCe's defense. I still remember his performances from last year. I reserve judgement until he faces a real D again. He may come out this week and look like Jim Bob Cooter. That being said, I can't remember a better, more exciting performance by a Vol since.......ever. I don't understand how he could not be on the field game 1. Makes me doubt Jones evaluation ability.

Here you managed to get two shots in undermining Vol fan's confidence in their team.  I smell a poser.

You are correct that USCe D is weak.  But UK D is overated, so it's all good. 

As for last year, a year of development can do wonders.

We will find out soon enough.  Either way, Dobbs is clearly a huge improvement over Worley, and as to why he hasn't played earlier, Worley played just fine the first three games of the season and really didn't give away the UF game until well into it. 

Why on God's green Earth would Jones put Dobbs in for Worley while leading 9-0?   And the fact is, Worley was moving the chains on our last drive right up until the int and we only needed a FG anyway.

The only thing Jones might face criticism for is why Peterman was no. 2....but so what?  The first time it really mattered, Dobbs played and it paid off.

Or do you really think we beat Ole Miss if Dobbs comes in instead of Peterman?  Maybe what happens instead is a meltdown like what happened to Peterman last year.  Instead, against bammer Peterman was announced as the starter but Jones also said Dobbs would play.

I'd say it worked PRETTY DAMN WELL SO FAR!!!! 

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
ChattanoogaVol
All-SEC

Time is best spent with family and friends.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2014, 08:09:36 EST »

I didn't see any mention on a Heisman...but I think that most of us agree that he can help lead us to a 7-8 win season next year, which is a DAMN FINE SEASON COMPARED TO WHAT WE HAVE BEEN USED TO LATELY.

Go Big Orange.
RipleyVol12
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2014, 08:12:38 EST »

Well I'll take his performance against Bama for what it's worth.

GO VOLS!!!...
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2014, 08:32:20 EST »

One last thing on this...."Gary Higgenboom".  That was the QB for bammer in the late 80s that was FOURTH STRING, that had to patiently wait while they cycled through a whole bunch of highly rated duds.  When he finally started, they were 10-0 going into the first Iron Bowl at Auburn in late 1989, and at that point were very much in the running for the MNC.

In spite of being run oft from Tuskaloser, Curry was a pretty good coach who did well at GaTech and actually did pretty well at bammer but got run oft by the boosters who hated him for supporting academics and being from GaTech.

Why did he not figure out Higgenboom was the guy in preseason practice?  The answer is, you really don't know what you have until the young man is tested in battle conditions. 

My opinion is that the mental and intangibles are just as important, if not more important, than the physical ability.  The only way to truly test that is in a game.  But if you test it prematurely....see Peterman last year.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
BGHarper
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2014, 09:32:39 EST »

One last thing on this...."Gary Higgenboom".  That was the QB for bammer in the late 80s that was FOURTH STRING, that had to patiently wait while they cycled through a whole bunch of highly rated duds.  When he finally started, they were 10-0 going into the first Iron Bowl at Auburn in late 1989, and at that point were very much in the running for the MNC.

In spite of being run oft from Tuskaloser, Curry was a pretty good coach who did well at GaTech and actually did pretty well at bammer but got run oft by the boosters who hated him for supporting academics and being from GaTech.

Why did he not figure out Higgenboom was the guy in preseason practice?  The answer is, you really don't know what you have until the young man is tested in battle conditions.  

My opinion is that the mental and intangibles are just as important, if not more important, than the physical ability.  The only way to truly test that is in a game.  But if you test it prematurely....see Peterman last year.

Well, Gary "Hollingsworth", a three star QB recruited as an afterthought to two five star QB's-Billy Ray and Jeff Dunn. He started far earlier than the Auburn game, in fact took over in the second game as Dunn went down in the Kentucky game with a knee injury, and from that point Hollingsworth led them to a 10-0 record going into the Auburn game. That's really neither here nor there, but only clarification. What I disagree with is as follows:

That's just not true on Bill Curry and academics, and in fact far from it. Curry once made a disparaging remark on the state of the players' progress when he took over at Alabama from his good friend and former Colt teamate, Ray Perkins, whom he had received a recommendation from for the Bama job. Within hours of that story being published, Curry was met personally in his office by Perkins who had taken the Tampa Bay Buccaneers owner's private jet to T-town where he proceeded to verbally take apart Curry piece by piece. What Bill Curry had said was absolutely not true, and he was left in good shape by Perkins in the academic sense, and Ray Perkins was proud of that academic record and had put great effort into seeing his players perform in the classroom. Prop 48 was passed by the NCAA during his tenure and would go into effect several years later, and academics were increasingly stressed by Perkins and President Joab Thomas; they had improved them. Perkins as AD even built the athletic department's first academic center.

Who did leave the program in academic disarray was one Mr. Bill Curry. Upon arriving that winter Gene Stallings had inherited a mess. During his first A-Day game it was customary at the time of year to publicly release progress reports and averages in comparison to the student body for the athletes by sport at Alabama; the team's record was dismal. Upon arriving in the stadium these were passed out to many. I know because I was there and read it. Before the game, with just a few fans in their seats, Stallings went into those same seats and while standing on one expressed his concern and disbelief on his players grades that he inherited, and publicly promised to the players' parents and fans much greater attention and effort would be placed on academics, which they were.

It never ceases to amaze me what some believe about Curry that the facts do not support. Bill Curry talks a good game, with "talk" being key. And no he wasn't a "pretty good" coach. See his record and dismissal from Kentucky for reference.

BG
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 04:40:37 EST by BGHarper » Logged
Memphisvolunteer
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2014, 10:32:07 EST »

Even according to Hubbs, Dobbs had not show anything in practice like he is playing.   Most coaches think you play like you practice, but there are some who play a lot better when "the lights are on".  Maybe Dobbs is one of those.

Like you said, it was against South Carolina's defense but he also did it against bama's D who was given up normally 0 in the rushing game...so that gives me hope.  Also, the rest of the teams we face don't have that great of defenses anyway.  Missouri is o.k. but not great.  But neither 3 teams we have left have great offenses either.  If we score in the 30's...I like our chances.

Also, you look at the game, and neither North or Malone were playing much.  Imagine what that offense does if you have a fill array of your receiving crops?  If you are a TE, I would be drooling because they have a chance to get a ton of balls thrown there way.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2014, 08:59:27 EST »

Well, Gary "Hollingsworth", a three star QB recruited as an afterthought to two five star QB's-Billy Ray and Jeff Dunn. He started far earlier than the Auburn game, in fact took over in the second game as Dunn went down in the Kentucky game with a knee injury, and from that point Hollingsworth led them to a 10-0 record going into the Auburn game.

That's actually what I was saying.  I think there was also another guy with the last name of "Lee" ahead of him, but who knows, it was a long time ago.  I am not sure exactly when he emerged, but it was early that season and not in the preseason.  The others had to stink it up pretty bad first.

T

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2014, 09:02:59 EST »

It never ceases to amaze me what some believe about Curry that the facts do not support. Bill Curry talks a good game, with "talk" being key. And no he wasn't a "pretty good" coach. See his record and dismissal from Kentucky for reference.

Curry was part of a movement by the then-President of bammer (and no, I don't recall his name) to make it "not all about football anymore". Thus the great unwashed masses of half-sentient knukle-dragging yard apes ran them both off, and Curry had a brick through his window for good measure.

See record of most anyone at Kentucky...meaningless.     Curry was a good coach IMO.  No bammer will ever say he was, and that won't change, so we can just agree to disagree.

Curry was one of the few brave souls that tried to bring some desperately needed class to bammer, and failed miserably.   

BGHarper
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2014, 09:29:59 EST »

Curry was part of a movement by the then-President of bammer (and no, I don't recall his name) to make it "not all about football anymore". Thus the great unwashed masses of half-sentient knukle-dragging yard apes ran them both off, and Curry had a brick through his window for good measure.

See record of most anyone at Kentucky...meaningless.     Curry was a good coach IMO.  No bammer will ever say he was, and that won't change, so we can just agree to disagree.

Curry was one of the few brave souls that tried to bring some desperately needed class to bammer, and failed miserably.   

Perception vs. Reality...

BG
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: