VTTW Board Index
May 10, 2024, 12:45:22 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 9 wins next year or hasta la vista  (Read 5668 times)
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« on: November 27, 2011, 05:54:50 EST »

You've got NC State, Georgia State, Akron, Troy, Vanderbilt and Kentucky as "win or GTFO" type of games. That's six wins. Out of the rest, he has to get three. Florida at home is pretty much a must win considering what they look like right now.

And yes I know we are 9 months away. Don't care. The time for mediocrity is over. The "year zero / year one" crap is over. Youth as an excuse... done.

I like you Coach Dooley, but now it's put up or shut up time.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011, 05:56:35 EST »

9 is my magic number as well.  Given what we have coming back, I don't think it's an unreasonable expectation.

Edit: while the schedule isn't set at this point, we know that in addition to the games you mentioned, we'll be playing UF (home), UGA (away), USC (away), Mizzou (site undetermined), and bammer (home).  Which leaves just one unknown from the West.  We just completed a rotation with LSU, so that probably rules them out.  Regardless, we should definitely be able to snag three wins from that group.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 06:04:37 EST by Black Diamond Vol » Logged

ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 05:58:26 EST »

9 is my magic number as well.  Given what we have coming back, I don't think it's an unreasonable expectation.

The thing is, I'm not sure I disagree with what 'meister said down the board... I'm not sure bringing all these guys back is a good thing to be honest. I'm not sure they are capable of winning 9 games. Frankly I'm not sure if they are well coached enough to win 9 games. But Dooley has to find a way to make it work to the tune of 9 or more wins, period.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011, 06:14:45 EST »

The thing is, I'm not sure I disagree with what 'meister said down the board... I'm not sure bringing all these guys back is a good thing to be honest. I'm not sure they are capable of winning 9 games. Frankly I'm not sure if they are well coached enough to win 9 games. But Dooley has to find a way to make it work to the tune of 9 or more wins, period.

That's how I feel as well.  As I posted last night, I expect 9 wins.  Do I think that will actually happen?  Nope.

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2011, 11:11:04 EST »

How does the schedule change with Missouri and aTm?

I'd say 8 or better is going to be expected. No youth excuses next year.

Cobbvol
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2011, 11:53:47 EST »

There is speculation we are the lucky school from the SECE to travel to College Station next year as the revolving team. That would mean we play Alabama, Arkansas, and A&M along with the SECE. There seems to be a lot on conversation on who from the SECE get this lucky trip.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2011, 01:21:12 EST »

There is speculation we are the lucky school from the SECE to travel to College Station next year as the revolving team. That would mean we play Alabama, Arkansas, and A&M along with the SECE. There seems to be a lot on conversation on who from the SECE get this lucky trip.

No, we'll only play two West teams now, due to the extra East foe (Mizzou).  We know bammer is one of them.  The other is the only unknown on the schedule at this point.

TallVol
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2011, 03:10:19 EST »

Would Arky not stay in the rotation to complete that home and home? 
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2011, 03:14:51 EST »

Would Arky not stay in the rotation to complete that home and home? 

Maybe, maybe not.  Some of those home/homes are going to have to go unfinished to fit in the two newbies. 

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2011, 06:33:15 EST »

8 is my number also.  FWIW, that's what Terry Fair said on his Ktown show this morning also, and Levine (sp?) agreed with him. (since I was in Ktown this morning  )  So that must be the right number.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2011, 06:40:24 EST »

No, we'll only play two West teams now, due to the extra East foe (Mizzou).  We know bammer is one of them.  The other is the only unknown on the schedule at this point.

Watch Georgia get OM and MSU

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2011, 06:43:37 EST »

I've thought about this.  We were supposed to pick up MSU.  However, it seems logical that they would want us to finish the Arkansas home and home.  I'm not sure I understand why some of the home and homes would have to be "left hanging" as you say.   Every SEC team plays three teams from the other division:

1. a traditional rival (for us, bammer)
2. A team in the first year of a home and home (this year for us...Arkansas)
3. A team in the seconc year of a home and home   (this year for us...LSU)

It seems like if every SEC team simply replaces no. 3 with the new in-division rival (for us...Missouri) then the schedule is set.

But that leaves the problem of assigning foes to Missouri and Tamu in the 2nd category above.  Kind of a tough problem.

Hey, I would much rather add MSU and drop Arkansas, if that can happen.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Jedi Master
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2011, 10:11:42 EST »

Watch Georgia get OM and MSU

UGA will get AU for sure, being its traditional West rival (ala UT/Bama).

UGA's other West opponent is not set yet, but will not likely be MSU as UGA finished its 2-year home/home with MSU on the rotation this year.  So either A&M, Bama, LSU, Ark or OM.

WoodstockVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2011, 11:55:57 EST »

You've got NC State, Georgia State, Akron, Troy, Vanderbilt and Kentucky as "win or GTFO" type of games. That's six wins. Out of the rest, he has to get three. Florida at home is pretty much a must win considering what they look like right now.

And yes I know we are 9 months away. Don't care. The time for mediocrity is over. The "year zero / year one" crap is over. Youth as an excuse... done.

I like you Coach Dooley, but now it's put up or shut up time.

I say 8-9 wins next season or don't let the door hit you in the ass,Coach Dooley

Lets go Braves,win the National League East!

LETS GO VOLS,KICK SEC A&& IN 2013!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: