VTTW Board Index
May 03, 2024, 07:35:22 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hobbit review  (Read 4604 times)
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« on: December 21, 2012, 06:02:47 EST »

Amazing. Peter Jackson has done it again.

The movie is a lot like the first LOTR in that it takes a while to get it going, but there's comedy, and you get to know the characters a bit. They didn't leave out many details...in fact they overdid some parts like the battle with the goblins. The soundtrack is once again amazing, with some taken from LOTR, and a new song "misty mountain" which is just haunting. There is a lot of CGI, but the 3D is amazing in this one. EPIC.

Go see it. If you liked LOTR you will love it.
WoodstockVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2012, 06:06:09 EST »

I've got to go see it! I've got the cartoon version of the Hobbit from 1980

Lets go Braves,win the National League East!

LETS GO VOLS,KICK SEC A&& IN 2013!!!
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2012, 02:11:29 EST »

The movie is a lot like the first LOTR in that it takes a while to get it going, but there's comedy, and you get to know the characters a bit. They didn't leave out many details...in fact they overdid some parts like the battle with the goblins. The soundtrack is once again amazing, with some taken from LOTR, and a new song "misty mountain" which is just haunting. There is a lot of CGI, but the 3D is amazing in this one. EPIC.

The reviews have been highly mixed but I'm such a nerd about these stories that I suspect i will love it. I'm trying to talk CObh into going tonight.

Thanks for your review.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

Stogie Vol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2012, 02:38:15 EST »

The reviews have been highly mixed but I'm such a nerd about these stories that I suspect i will love it. I'm trying to talk CObh into going tonight.

Thanks for your review.

FIFY
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2012, 02:57:47 EST »

FIFY

Guilty as charged.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2012, 03:34:11 EST »

I have plans to see it tonight.  I am curious where they break the story, and how much extra they add.  Rumor had it they added stuff to stretch it to two films.  Looking forward to it!

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2012, 03:36:30 EST »

Rumor had it they added stuff to stretch it to two films.

Three films. They are stretching it to three now. That really pissed a lot of people off but there's so much extra "history" and detail in the LOTR books and the Silmarillion that I believe they can make it work. There's certainly not enough material in The Hobbit to justify three films . . . maybe not even two.

SouthwestFloridaGator
Special Teamer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2012, 03:39:02 EST »

I had a hard time following it and I read The Hobbit, all the LOTR books, The Silmarillion and the Unfinished Tales. Maybe knowing too much created the issue since Jackson took so many liberties with the original story. Regardless my 9 year old son really liked it. He was not caught up in the plot so much as the action and the screenplay and the effects.
RockyMtnVol
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2012, 04:09:59 EST »

I had a hard time following it....

True, but you're a Gator so that's to be expected.   
UTnbama
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2012, 04:45:08 EST »

I've seen two different animated versions of the Hobbit, may as well see this one. Thanks for the review.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2012, 04:51:37 EST »

I had a hard time following it and I read The Hobbit, all the LOTR books, The Silmarillion and the Unfinished Tales. Maybe knowing too much created the issue since Jackson took so many liberties with the original story. Regardless my 9 year old son really liked it. He was not caught up in the plot so much as the action and the screenplay and the effects.

Well if it has now been stretched to 3 movies, I could deal with some extra stuff.  Taking a lot of liberties, no.  I am a pretty big purist on following the original story.  I guess I'll have to see it and decide how badly they butchered it...or not.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2012, 06:24:08 EST »

I have plans to see it tonight.  I am curious where they break the story, and how much extra they add.  Rumor had it they added stuff to stretch it to two films.  Looking forward to it!

They added a little, but they made some of the scenes in the book much longer than they seemed in the book. Some of the CGI was a bit much, too, they made the head goblin look Jabba the Hut-ish. Loved it though. I won't tell you where they break it, but it's a good place to do it

« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 06:27:04 EST by Volznut » Logged
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2012, 06:25:37 EST »

Thanks for your review.

I loved the riddle scene with Gollum. Tell me what you think of it. And DO see it in 3D, this is one of a few movies that are worth it

« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 06:33:02 EST by Volznut » Logged
73Volgrad
All-SEC

This is me on Liberty Island weekend before 9-11

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2012, 07:34:25 EST »

Saw it in IMAX 3D Tuesday. I liked it. Since I get Senior rate, the discount is welcome. Cannot want for the next one.

Peter Jackson never met a story he could not drag out and over-produce. But the presentation is so good.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: