VTTW Board Index
May 19, 2024, 07:33:37 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Quest for an NFL team  (Read 11022 times)
Stogie Vol
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: September 07, 2014, 11:03:16 EDT »

I've not had a real favorite team since the Cowboys as a kid.  So, I've picked a team out of each division.  I'm going to try to narrow it on down to an overall favorite without basing it on just whether or not I think they'll have immediate success.  I'd rather pick a team for the long haul based on important stuff like how I look in their swag.

Here's who I have at this point:

AFC East: Miami Dolphins
AFC North: Cleveland Browns
AFC South: Tennessee Titans
AFC West: Denver Broncos

NFC East: Dallas Cowboys
NFC North: Minnesota Vikings
NFC South: Atlanta Falcons
NFC West: St. Louis Rams
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2014, 11:17:34 EDT »

Stogie Vol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2014, 11:22:51 EDT »

I find Romo's defense reading skills disturbin'.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2014, 11:24:17 EDT »

I find Romo's defense reading skills disturbin'.

Don't forget the defense.  That's plenty disturbin' too.   
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2014, 11:31:54 EDT »

AFC East: Miami Dolphins- Unless your name is Sonny Crockett, no one with a Y chromosome should wear this color combo.  They did spank the Pats today, though.  So bonus points for that.

AFC North: Cleveland Browns- You really want to pull for a team with Johnny Manzeil?

AFC South: Tennessee Titans- I pull for them, but they play one boring brand of football, and have for a long time now.  If they weren't "local", I'd have no attraction to them whatsoever.  And their uniforms are butt-ugly.

AFC West: Denver Broncos- Shoulda kept Tebow.  Peyton has a big forehead, and he never beat UF.  Elway is a horseface.

NFC East: Dallas Cowboys- Your season ticket purchase comes with free Yankees, Cavs, and bammer hats.  So there's that.

NFC North: Minnesota Vikings- Honestly didn't realize they even still had a team.

NFC South: Atlanta Falcons- The shining beacon of all that is good and right about professional sports.  Your clear choice.

NFC West: St. Louis Rams- See Minnesota Vikings.

Creek Walker
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2014, 11:35:36 EDT »

Stogie Vol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2014, 11:46:56 EDT »

AFC East: Miami Dolphins- Unless your name is Sonny Crockett, no one with a Y chromosome should wear this color combo.  They did spank the Pats today, though.  So bonus points for that.

AFC North: Cleveland Browns- You really want to pull for a team with Johnny Manzeil?

AFC South: Tennessee Titans- I pull for them, but they play one boring brand of football, and have for a long time now.  If they weren't "local", I'd have no attraction to them whatsoever.  And their uniforms are butt-ugly.

AFC West: Denver Broncos- Shoulda kept Tebow.  Peyton has a big forehead, and he never beat UF.  Elway is a horseface.

NFC East: Dallas Cowboys- Your season ticket purchase comes with free Yankees, Cavs, and bammer hats.  So there's that.

NFC North: Minnesota Vikings- Honestly didn't realize they even still had a team.

NFC South: Atlanta Falcons- The shining beacon of all that is good and right about professional sports.  Your clear choice.

NFC West: St. Louis Rams- See Minnesota Vikings.

True...I can't pull for a team with an 80's bathroom color scheme. Miami is out.
tnflower
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2014, 11:47:44 EDT »

How come the Saint's didn't make your list? I like Drew. Not as much as Peyton, but he's okay.
Stogie Vol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2014, 11:47:48 EDT »

But where will that leave me when Manning retires??
Creek Walker
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2014, 11:50:13 EDT »

But where will that leave me when Manning retires??

I'll be the first to admit that I'm a complete bandwagon'er when it comes to the Broncos. But I have always liked Denver since the Elway era. And the more I follow them now, the more I like the whole organization there. Of course, I once thought I'd always be a bit of a Colts fan too...and then Irsay proved himself to be a complete jackass.
Stogie Vol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2014, 11:50:29 EDT »

How come the Saint's didn't make your list? I like Drew. Not as much as Peyton, but he's okay.

I had to go with Atlanta...N.O. is my second in that division.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2014, 11:55:47 EDT »

There's a huge overlap between the Saints and LSU fanbases.  So you know they smell like corndogs. 

tnflower
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2014, 11:57:18 EDT »

There's a huge overlap between the Saints and LSU fanbases.  So you know they smell like corndogs.

Do not.
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2014, 12:01:16 EDT »

I've not had a real favorite team since the Cowboys as a kid.  So, I've picked a team out of each division.  I'm going to try to narrow it on down to an overall favorite without basing it on just whether or not I think they'll have immediate success.  I'd rather pick a team for the long haul based on important stuff like how I look in their swag.

Here's who I have at this point:

AFC East: Miami Dolphins
AFC North: Cleveland Browns
AFC South: Tennessee Titans
AFC West: Denver Broncos

NFC East: Dallas Cowboys
NFC North: Minnesota Vikings
NFC South: Atlanta Falcons
NFC West: St. Louis Rams

I'm confused re: lingering East TN apathy toward the Titans. I mean why aren't they the obvious choice. It may be coincidental but Middle TN is producing a whole lot more talent & UT is getting it's share. Keep it in your state. Simple
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2014, 12:08:56 EDT »

I'm confused re: lingering East TN apathy toward the Titans. I mean why aren't they the obvious choice. It may be coincidental but Middle TN is producing a whole lot more talent & UT is getting it's share. Keep it in your state. Simple

They are the Houston Oilers with a diff logo slapped on the helmet.  I've not even a passing interest in them.
Creek Walker
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2014, 12:09:48 EDT »

Speaking for myself, my apathy towards the Titans has nothing to do with location. But, for whatever reason, I just can't like the franchise. If I were choosing a team based on geography, Atlanta would be my first pick, with Cincinnati second. I don't hate the Titans; I pulled hard for them in the Super Bowl vs. the Rams, and I would do the same if they made it again against most other teams. But having tried to be a fan of the Titans, I just can't really do it.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2014, 12:10:36 EDT »

It's pretty simple for me- Being from Chattanooga, I grew up a fan of the team 90 minutes away.  Steve Bartkowski and William Andrews were my first sports heroes, long before the Oilers ever thought about leaving Houston.  So I'm not going to drop them just because someone else moved in up the road.  Like I said, I pull for the Titans.  But unless the Falcons up and move to LA, they'll always be "my team".

SmokeyJoe
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2014, 12:27:05 EDT »

They are the Houston Oilers with a diff logo slapped on the helmet.  I've not even a passing interest in them.

Well that is baloney. They are the TENNESSEE TITANS. So be it. They aren't hurting for fans. :-)
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2014, 12:28:28 EDT »

Atlanta I "get" other teams from all over the country, I do not. That's like being a bandwagon bama or gator
Creek Walker
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2014, 12:31:32 EDT »

Atlanta I "get" other teams from all over the country, I do not. That's like being a bandwagon bama or gator

So if Bob Corker runs for president, you're voting for him, right? Since he's from Tennessee and all?
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2014, 12:34:46 EDT »

No. But I was loyal to Gore in that way but you get my bandwagon analogy, right? I think the disdain, other than BDV example is rooted in jealousy & fear. Oh well I love the Vols too
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2014, 12:35:58 EDT »

And coincidentally or not the Mid State is producing a bevy of talent nowadays.
Stogie Vol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2014, 12:41:22 EDT »

I've narrowed it down to the Broncos in the AFC and the Falcons in the NFC. I have tried on a couple occassions to force myself to be a Titans fan, but it never stuck. To be honest, I just can't imagine not pulling for Manning. That may make me a bandwaggoner; so be it. When Manning retires, I may re-evaluate, but by then I might be too familiar with the team as a whole to change.

I'm still not a die-hard fan of anyone, but I miss having some level of passion for NFL football.
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2014, 12:44:47 EDT »

And all is fair. It is a free country :-)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2014, 12:47:07 EDT »

I've narrowed it down to the Broncos in the AFC and the Falcons in the NFC. I have tried on a couple occassions to force myself to be a Titans fan, but it never stuck. To be honest, I just can't imagine not pulling for Manning. That may make me a bandwaggoner; so be it. When Manning retires, I may re-evaluate, but by then I might be too familiar with the team as a whole to change.

I'm still not a die-hard fan of anyone, but I miss having some level of passion for NFL football.

You heard me when I told you he never beat UF, right?  He also has happy feet.  And he's no Freddie Kitchens, either.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: