VTTW Board Index
May 08, 2024, 07:39:48 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Just saw a post on another board. A guy is wanting to take a trip down south. He  (Read 4050 times)
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: December 12, 2014, 12:28:02 EST »

wants to know which place to go, Gatlinburg or Asheville?  What is your guys call on that one?

volsboyinsodak
wtkvol
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2014, 01:14:55 EST »

Nm
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2014, 01:32:49 EST »

Asheville for sure.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

Creek Walker
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2014, 02:19:07 EST »

IMO, it's an apples-oranges comparison. But if you just have to choose one, it's going to be based largely on personal preference. Asheville is more upscale; Gatlinburg is just a tacky tourist burg, but it does have that down-home and cozy feel to it.

Me, I would choose Gatlinburg...maybe I'm weird (some of my friends say I am), but I really like Gatlinburg. It's largely going to come down to what the guy wants to do while he's down here, though. If fine dining is his thing, Asheville. If the arts are his thing, Asheville. If getting out and enjoying the scenery is his thing, Gatlinburg. If the prototypical touristy type of weekend is his thing, Gatlinburg. Shopping...well, if you don't mind the drive back to the Sevierville/Pigeon Forge area, Gatlinburg will suffice. Otherwise, Asheville gets the nod.

Like I said, I just enjoy Gatlinburg on occasion. We usually try to go over around Christmas and just get out and walk through town, stop at Best Italian for some of the best italian food you'll eat anywhere, etc.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2014, 03:50:54 EST »

I'd say it mainly depends on if he has kids.  I'm sure they'd enjoy G'burg more.  If not, go to Asheville.

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2014, 05:06:21 EST »

I've lived 20 min away from Gburg pretty much all my life (except while in college)  and it still never gets old to me.  Been to Asheville a lot, too of course.   But I don't do art, I do not enjoy fine dining.  Give me a half dozen garlic knots and a big pizza pie from Best Italian and I'm happy as can be.

Call me weird along with Creek if you like but me personally, I'll pick Gburg every time with no hesitation.
Stogie Vol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2014, 01:26:30 EST »

I've lived 20 min away from Gburg pretty much all my life (except while in college)  and it still never gets old to me.  Been to Asheville a lot, too of course.   But I don't do art, I do not enjoy fine dining.  Give me a half dozen garlic knots and a big pizza pie from Best Italian and I'm happy as can be.

Call me weird along with Creek if you like but me personally, I'll pick Gburg every time with no hesitation.

HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2014, 03:13:19 EST »

Two very different locations.

If one likes crowds and bright lights and shopping, Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge is the place to go.  

If one likes laid back, microbreweries and eclectic eateries, then Asheville is definitely where you want to be.  

Asheville gets a big bonus this time of the year with Christmas at Biltmore.  

Apples and oranges.  No kids - I would go to Asheville this time of year.  

And even with kids I probably would, because most of the "kid stuff" in Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge is geared more towards the summer than the winter.  

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2014, 03:44:02 EST »

I just really find no draw to Gatlinburg whatsoever. I've been there several dozen times and unless you get up into the hills in a quiet cabin, I find little to enjoy-- and those cabins can be found anywhere in the mountains (including near Asheville).

Asheville, on the other hand, is a really cool little town with great places to eat, a great craft beer scene, good live music if you like that, and all of the outdoors activities you can find around Gatlinburg without actually having to be in in a tourist trap like Gatlinburg.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

tnflower
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2014, 06:36:56 EST »

One more thing......Asheville is close to Flat Rock, where Volvetta could likely be doing some of his Tuna Christmas stuff. That right there is worth the whole trip. (well, that and the wine at Biltmore. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: