VTTW Board Index
May 09, 2024, 03:27:06 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Dobbs the man now or do you still feel like I do and think the QB to get us  (Read 4294 times)
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: January 07, 2015, 09:37:44 EST »

to where we want to be is not in Knoxville yet? I think Dobbs will be better the more he plays. But I am still not sure he has "it". Whatever it is.

volsboyinsodak
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2015, 09:51:58 EST »

to where we want to be is not in Knoxville yet? I think Dobbs will be better the more he plays. But I am still not sure he has "it". Whatever it is.

I'm starting to come around to the idea that Dobbs is the man, at least for 2015. If you look at the stats he struggled in just two games this year-- Mizzou and Vandy-- and played very well in the other four. He was just a true soph and didn't get a ton of help from an inconsistent and oft injured WR corp.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

Stogie Vol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2015, 10:21:53 EST »

Booger McFarland went so far as to say Dobbs would be a Heisman candidate next season.  I don't know about THAT, but I'm optimistic he will continue to progress and be the man under center next year.  If an incoming freshman can unseat him, he'd have to be phenomenal.
Creek Walker
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2015, 11:24:49 EST »

After his performance at Jacksonville, I'm all in. DOBBS.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2015, 11:33:01 EST »

After his performance at Jacksonville, I'm all in. DOBBS.
I'm still not "all in" with Dobbs.  He still has moments when "SpaceDobbs" means not a good thing but he has improved since he had his opportunity

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
LouisVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2015, 12:17:54 EST »

Let's hope he spends every football moment working on mid-range accuracy.  If that improves substantially, he has everything else to establish himself as "the man".

But, I fall into the camp that "the man" is yet to be determined.

My pronouns are:  I, Me, My, and Mine
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2015, 01:28:55 EST »

Absolutely.  Everything Dobbs is missing as a QB can be coached and/or learned through film study.  But the intangibles; the stuff that can't be coached- he has them.  In the last 3 minutes at USC, he engineered two full-field TD drives to tie the game, without utilizing a single timeout on offense.  On the road.  Do you think that someone like Tyler Bray, for all his skill, could've done that?  Of course not.  In fact, we haven't had a true clutch QB since Casey Clausen.  And don't forget, by the time Dobbs started working with the 1's, half of them were either out with injury or playing hurt.  Give Dobbs a healthy North, Pearson, and Hurd, and he may look better overnight.  In fact, the latter two of those guys were finally close to full speed for the bowl game, and we know how that went.

Dobbs isn't a finished product.  And if he's still showing the same deficiencies by next October, then it may be time to question his status as a starter.  But to suggest that a freshman can come in and take the job this spring- well, that better be one special freshman.

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2015, 03:11:18 EST »

Absolutely.  Everything Dobbs is missing as a QB can be coached and/or learned through film study.  But the intangibles; the stuff that can't be coached- he has them.  In the last 3 minutes at USC, he engineered two full-field TD drives to tie the game, without utilizing a single timeout on offense.  On the road.  Do you think that someone like Tyler Bray, for all his skill, could've done that?  Of course not.  In fact, we haven't had a true clutch QB since Casey Clausen.  And don't forget, by the time Dobbs started working with the 1's, half of them were either out with injury or playing hurt.  Give Dobbs a healthy North, Pearson, and Hurd, and he may look better overnight.  In fact, the latter two of those guys were finally close to full speed for the bowl game, and we know how that went.

Dobbs isn't a finished product.  And if he's still showing the same deficiencies by next October, then it may be time to question his status as a starter.  But to suggest that a freshman can come in and take the job this spring- well, that better be one special freshman.

^this
Creek Walker
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2015, 03:14:38 EST »

I'm still not "all in" with Dobbs.  He still has moments when "SpaceDobbs" means not a good thing but he has improved since he had his opportunity

I'm not convinced he's going to be the guy who will ultimately lead us to Atlanta, but I'm all in on the Josh Dobbs bandwagon. Plus I just like the guy. He retweeted my son's photo at Christmas and made his day (made his entire month, actually).
Memphisvolunteer
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2015, 05:58:12 EST »

I'm starting to come around to the idea that Dobbs is the man, at least for 2015. If you look at the stats he struggled in just two games this year-- Mizzou and Vandy-- and played very well in the other four. He was just a true soph and didn't get a ton of help from an inconsistent and oft injured WR corp.

Let's not forget that the Vandy game we had all our receiving corp out plus Hurd got injured in the first quarter.  Let's also not forget that Dobbs has never had a full season of work knowing that he would be the guy.  He was going to RS his Freshman year and was going to RS this year.  The preparation is different when you know you are going to start vs knowing you are going to RS.  He looked alot better with a healthy Pearson/Hurd/Pig and several weeks of practice to go through plays.  Think about when he was inserted into the starting line-up.  You have no time to really practice.  It is mostly game prep and situational things. 

I would be very surprised if Dobbs and the receivers aren't together all spring and summer working on timing and throws, etc.  Also, a fully healthy receiving corp and our Offense could be great next year.  He brings an added element to the run game we need and have never had.  He can gain yards when things break down and he runs so smoothly.  You get a healthy Hurd and him and a healthy Pig, North, Pearson, Malone, Scott, and Wolf.  That offense could be special.
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2015, 06:55:39 EST »

The job is still open.  Dobbs is #1 on the depth chart for spring.  Odds are he'll be #1 going in to fall camp, but there are certainly no guarantees.

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: