VTTW Board Index
May 03, 2024, 10:34:53 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LOL.... Florida dropping the use of Gator Bait Chant...racist  (Read 2906 times)
10EC
« on: June 18, 2020, 09:55:51 EDT »

apparently...
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2020, 10:18:48 EDT »

ain't everything anymore? I'm sure someone will want to dynamite Mt Rushmore herein South Dakota because Washington and Jefferson were slave owners. Davey Crocketts days as a historical symbol are probably numbered too. Wonder if we can get the things we are offended by abolished?

volsboyinsodak
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2020, 02:07:11 EDT »

We laugh now, but the woke outrage mob will come for us eventually. Rocky Top? Condones the murder of Feds. Banned. The Vol Navy? Navies were the principal tool to promote colonial expansion. Rip up the docks and ban nautical traffic on the TN river on game days.General Neyland? Probably used a racial slur at some point, and he was an evil soldier anyway. Tear down his statue and rename everything on campus with his name on it. The color orange?. DRUMPF is orange. Too triggering. Change it to brown or something.

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2020, 02:15:03 EDT »

Corn from a jar....AKA 'White Lightening'. Goodbye Rocky Top.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2020, 02:52:47 EDT »

Insanity.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2020, 04:09:28 EDT »

Corn from a jar....AKA 'White Lightening'. Goodbye Rocky Top.

White Lightning is racist?   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2020, 04:12:36 EDT »

Per Foxnews, apparently the term was used in the 1800s in Florida and even black children allegedly used as bait for gators.

I'm like, huh?  Always thought it was a term coined by SOS.   

But maybe SOS was a Grand Wizard at one point in time.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2020, 04:23:10 EDT »

Digging a bit deeper, the allegations that black babies were used as gator bait has been hotly denied.  Apparently there was a song in 1899 referring to a black baby as gator bait, and a couple of other rather obscure references.  Lawrence Wright is against removing the cheer.

To me this is an excess of caution by Florida Chancellor (Or President?) Fuchs.  The references that would make gator bait racist are pretty obscure and almost no one knew about them till now.

Frankly I think it hurts their brand, so have at it.   

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2020, 07:09:24 EDT »

Digging a bit deeper, the allegations that black babies were used as gator bait has been hotly denied.  Apparently there was a song in 1899 referring to a black baby as gator bait, and a couple of other rather obscure references.  Lawrence Wright is against removing the cheer.

To me this is an excess of caution by Florida Chancellor (Or President?) Fuchs.  The references that would make gator bait racist are pretty obscure and almost no one knew about them till now.

Frankly I think it hurts their brand, so have at it.   

Everyone I've read or spoken to has never heard of the supposed racist background of it.  It makes no one's life better to get rid of it.  Nonsense like this helps nothing.  In fact, imo it hurts the overall goal.
Creek Walker
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2020, 07:16:00 EDT »

Everyone I've read or spoken to has never heard of the supposed racist background of it.  It makes no one's life better to get rid of it.  Nonsense like this helps nothing.  In fact, imo it hurts the overall goal.

Yes.
VOLMAN
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2020, 08:00:26 EDT »

I hope I live long enough to see all of the SJWs and woke ones achieve all of their goals only to realize that they have no life because their only purpose was found in destroying the targets of rage of the progressive leaders and once all of the symbols are gone they'll have no reason for their existence.                     
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2020, 08:16:28 EDT »

I hope I live long enough to see all of the SJWs and woke ones achieve all of their goals only to realize that they have no life because their only purpose was found in destroying the targets of rage of the progressive leaders and once all of the symbols are gone they'll have no reason for their existence.                     
George Orwell was a prophet

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
FLVOL
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2020, 10:06:06 EDT »

this is all too stupid. There isn't a single person alive that went to a game in Ben Griffin stadium and thought of black babies being used as actual gator bait during a football game. Not one.

Fags in England is slang for cigarettes, yet here it's for gay people. It's all in the context

11B4PJ3F7
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2020, 01:31:02 EDT »

this is all too stupid. There isn't a single person alive that went to a game in Ben Griffin stadium and thought of black babies being used as actual gator bait during a football game. Not one.

Fags in England is slang for cigarettes, yet here it's for gay people. It's all in the context
Only reference to alligator bait I remember to ever hear. https://www.google.com/search?gs_ssp=eJzj4tFP1zcsNM0yLc-zMDRg9BLNSi0qqlQoSk1NUUjMzS9WAOLUYgDXdgwz&q=jerry+reed+amos+moses&oq=jerry+reed+amos&aqs=chrome.1.0j46j69i57j0l3.21334j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8 Or Joe South's song Polk Salad Annie.

volsboyinsodak
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2020, 02:33:25 EDT »

I learned that England fag for cigarettes in 1972 while serving on the carrier USS John F. Kennedy...We ported along side a British carrier group and spent a (week one night) trying to out drink them Brits on liberty call....They would love us American sailors for life if we gave them a pack of American cigarettes...For some reason they loved American Cigarettes.

At 2am all us American sailors were passed out cold and all the British sailors were standing in a circle with their arms around each other singing God Save the Queen and smoking our American cigarettes.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: