VTTW Board Index
May 12, 2024, 10:53:09 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I have seen a lot of "who cares it's the NIT" type comments on other boards  (Read 5551 times)
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« on: March 21, 2013, 02:06:46 EDT »

I don't get that at all. I don't care what it is, you compete at 100%. I know it's harder to get up psychologically when you expected to be in the dance, but a game like last night just proves the naysayers right and they can now say we didn't deserve to be in anyway. It's CCM's job to motivate these guys to play, and I didn't see a lot of hustle out there last night from anyone other than Stokes.

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 02:49:25 EDT »

Yeah, I know there was no fan turnout for the game last night either but to me that's no excuse to basically mail it in before tipoff.  What about the Bama game?  They had everything to play for then and still showed no heart and no fight. 

It's fan nature to rationalize a loss but the truth is Bruce Pearl had teams that were much less talented that scrapped and fought and accomplished a lot more.  Many, including myself, were on the fence about Cuonzo anyway and tonight just gives them more fuel.  He better make the tourney next year or he's a goner.

So much for "make a STATEment".   
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 02:53:48 EDT »

Don't know where anyone else is on CCM but until I see a consistent season from his team I will be skeptical about him as a coach. Next season *should* be his best in terms of talent. We will see.

Creek Walker
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 03:21:09 EDT »

I don't think there's any doubt that if he fails to make the tourney next year he should be canned. Overall, I was not disappointed with the results last year even though there were some inexplicable losses mixed in. In fact, I thought he was deserving of SECCOTY last year. This year was a huge disappointment until things finally clicked in January.

I don't know how next year will turn out but like u told Revolver on FB last week, I would readily sacrifice Cuonzo for Pearl just to see what he could do with that team. There isn't going to be a lot of depth but it's gonna be top loaded with some serious talent.
101stDad
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2013, 04:17:27 EDT »

Bruce Pearl is not coming back to UT.  That ship has long since sailed. 
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2013, 04:43:22 EDT »

Bruce Pearl is not coming back to UT.  That ship has long since sailed.  

We Heard You.the First Ten Times.     Nobody Said Otherwise.   
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 04:46:43 EDT by VinnieVOL » Logged
101stDad
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2013, 04:45:43 EDT »

We Heard You.the First Ten Times.   

And I will keep reminding of that as long as it keeps coming up on this forum. 

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2013, 04:51:09 EDT »

And I will keep reminding of that as long as it keeps coming up on this forum. 

In Every Thread That So Much As Mentions BP. 
Creek Walker
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2013, 04:51:23 EDT »

Bruce Pearl is not coming back to UT.  That ship has long since sailed. 

Have you ever heard of a hypothetical statement?

Nevertheless, I'll rest easier on this subject now that the authority on UT sports has spoken.  
101stDad
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2013, 06:31:18 EDT »

In Every Thread That So Much As Mentions BP. 

No, just in the threads that include the fantasy of UT bringing Bruce Pearl back as UT's coach.   
101stDad
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2013, 06:35:19 EDT »

Have you ever heard of a hypothetical statement?

Nevertheless, I'll rest easier on this subject now that the authority on UT sports has spoken.  

Yes, I completely understand hypothetical statements. 

I also understand that comparing Bruce Pearl and Martin is not hypothetical, it's just unrealistic.  They are two different coaches, one of whom would still be here if he hadn't gotten himself fired for making a mountain out of a mole hill an insignificant violation. 
Creek Walker
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2013, 06:48:12 EDT »

Yes, I completely understand hypothetical statements. 

I also understand that comparing Bruce Pearl and Martin is not hypothetical, it's just unrealistic.  They are two different coaches, one of whom would still be here if he hadn't gotten himself fired for making a mountain out of a mole hill an insignificant violation. 

I would've also liked to have seen what Bruce Pearl could have done with Jerry Green's team that collapsed against UNC in the NCAAT. Which is unrealistic, but somehow I don't imagine you would've tripped over yourself to lecture me on that point.

My point about Pearl being coach next year was not meant in any serious way whatsoever. It was what it was: a hypothetical point. With that said, it's extremely unlikely that Pearl ever coaches at UT again. But if you say it "can't" and "won't" happen, you're simply hedging your bets. There are people who matter who would very much like to see Pearl coaching this program again.
Quasi EVol
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2013, 04:35:47 EDT »

I love Bruce Pearl but I don't want him back:  the NCAA would open a kiosk in the West Town Mall.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2013, 03:12:30 EDT »

It's fan nature to rationalize a loss but the truth is Bruce Pearl had teams that were much less talented that scrapped and fought and accomplished a lot more. 

In fairness, Bruce's teams would occasionally lay an egg to.  It happens to the best of coaches.  I just didn't like it happening in this game.  That's twice in a row we have limped out of the NIT with our tail between our legs and IMO it does raise a doubt about the future.

It's really simple for Cuonzo though...make the tourney next year or he might be gone, but even if not gone, be under tremendous pressure the following year.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
ChattanoogaVol
All-SEC

Time is best spent with family and friends.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2013, 04:02:15 EDT »

I don't get that at all. I don't care what it is, you compete at 100%. I know it's harder to get up psychologically when you expected to be in the dance, but a game like last night just proves the naysayers right and they can now say we didn't deserve to be in anyway. It's CCM's job to motivate these guys to play, and I didn't see a lot of hustle out there last night from anyone other than Stokes.

Agree 100%.  No hustle................NO DEFENSIVE EFFORT.........It's just like a small bowl game vs a BCS game..........be excited to be there and still playing, and not left at home

Go Big Orange.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: