VTTW Board Index
May 14, 2024, 01:08:41 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A bad loss early in the season apparently doesn't matter.*  (Read 10988 times)
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2014, 10:08:46 EST »

I disagree. The years in which the BCS failed to crown a true national champion were the exception. How many years can you name off the top of your head where the best team wasn't crowned? Auburn in 2004 obviously comes to mind. I'm sure there are a couple of others, but they were few and far between.

If the BCS were still in play this year, Florida State would've wound up as the No. 2 team. Voters would've seen to that. And I think Alabama is a clear-cut No. 1 based on their play the past month and a half.

We're not talking about only the best team-- we're talking about the best two, and no . . . controversy about which 2 were deserving has been the norm, not the exception. That started right from the get-go when FSU was tabbed to play us; four other teams had a legitimate argument for the opportunity.

I took a nice long look at this awhile back: http://volstothewall.com/board/index.php?topic=26398.0

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

TheRealOrange
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2014, 12:12:25 EST »

Why, do you think? Age, apathy due to UT's mediocrity, changes in the sport, all of the above? Most of those have hit me, too, but I still love it. I'll still watch meaningless games on TV, especially early in every season, and I will watch all of the playoff games this year if I can.

I really haven't given it much thought.  But, since you prompted introspection,....  I don't think it's age at all, except that I have relatively young children who take up more of my time.  And, I lived through the mediocrity of the mid/late 70s with a passion for the game, so I doubt that's it.  In fact, I am more excited about Coach Jones than I ever was about Coach Majors.  The truth is, I am still passionate about the Vols; I just do not enjoy watching them on TV, so I quit doing it a few years ago.  It's much better for my emotional wellbeing.    I also still enjoy and "get into" the games when I am there live, but I still have a better time at the tailgate with family and friends.  I LOVE that aspect of Vols football, and I have even gotten reacquainted with a couple old high school friends over the past couple seasons.    As for other teams/games, I just don't enjoy watching on TV for more than a couple plays.  I'm just not interested (no reason to care).  I do enjoy going to games live, but that's seldom an option.  I guess it all boils down to there being more important things in life to occupy my time, so I am treating it that way. 
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2014, 12:56:03 EST »

Why would Condoleeza Rice, Archie Manning, or anybody else on the selection committee care about who brings the most fans?

My thinking, as well.  Doesn't make sense.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2014, 07:09:20 EST »

Yeah, there is controversy about who is no. 5 and left out.  But less than there was about no. 3. And should we go to an 8 game playoff there will be even less.

Heck, there is controversy over the 68 team Bball tourney!  Of course, that typically involves more than one team, but no matter how badly a team gets screwed (and unfortunately the Vols have a few times recently), it's difficult to claim team 69 would have won it all.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: