VTTW Board Index
May 21, 2024, 11:28:40 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Well, at least we can say this much...  (Read 4379 times)
VOLveeta
« on: November 09, 2013, 08:34:32 EST »

When we decide to have an absolutely failed program, we commit 100%.  I believe in this coach but honest to Pete, how on Earth is it possible that the University of Tennessee is this God forsaken awful?  This team that is kicking the shizzle out of us was a travesty last year and... now?  It's mind boggling how the fall was this sincerely bad and how unable this institution is at recreating a winning program.  I'm seriously at a loss.
BGHarper
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2013, 08:54:29 EST »

If you're comparing Auburn To UT that's apples to oranges. Auburn has recruited well in the past few years while UT hasn't. Recruiting hasn't been their problem. It was poor coaching with assistants and the head man not on the same page, poor discipline and inept coordinators. Talent wasn't their major problem. Also, these offensive players were mostly recruited for the current offensive scheme when their head man was the offensive coordinator. Auburn has far more team speed than UT. Recruiting is still the answer for those in orange and white.

BG

VOLveeta
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2013, 08:57:33 EST »

Thanks for that, BG.  On gameday it's easy to forget things like that.  It's just been so long since we had anything to feel proud about.  It's a very tough time to be a Vol fan.  God willing the recruiting class will hold and we'll start to see things improve.  I hope so because, while I certainly don't expect to win every game, I just want this program to ALWAYS be competitive.
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2013, 08:58:43 EST »

If you're comparing Auburn To UT that's apples to oranges. Auburn has recruited well in the past few years while UT hasn't. Recruiting hasn't been their problem. It was poor coaching with assistants and the head man not on the same page, poor discipline and inept coordinators. Talent wasn't their major problem. Also, these offensive players were mostly recruited for the current offensive scheme when their head man was the offensive coordinator. Auburn has far more team speed than UT. Recruiting is still the answer for those in orange and white.

BG

Agree with this. Auburn has top level SEC talent and was just woefully coached. I'm surprised but not shocked that they are as good as they are. What they are doing was an impossibility for UT with the roster we have.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2013, 09:56:02 EST »

Well I'll say this.  The past four weeks have been three big steps back.  UGA and USC feel like a dream, now.

We're a lot further away from competing in the SEC than I was beginning to think we were.  We're nowhere close.  YEARS away.
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2013, 10:11:26 EST »

Well I'll say this.  The past four weeks have been three big steps back.  UGA and USC feel like a dream, now.

We're a lot further away from competing in the SEC than I was beginning to think we were.  We're nowhere close.  YEARS away.

Don't underestimate the impact of better talent though. When you say years, I think you're right . . . about 2 years. Something like 2015.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

MIAUTIGER
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2013, 10:32:01 EST »

Don't underestimate the impact of better talent though. When you say years, I think you're right . . . about 2 years. Something like 2015.

The talent is a good point.  We had/have talent on our team; Chizik did not leave the cupboard bear.  Our coaching sucked and we had too many off-the-field issues that kept on mounting and affecting our overall team chemistry. Malzahn cleaned house as far as coaches go and brought in some good ones. Plus Malzahn recruited most of the offensive guys.   I think that is the biggest reason for the turnaround. Jones is essentially starting from scratch.

Bammer suxes! That is all!
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2013, 10:51:12 EST »

Best case scenario, IMO.  Frankly, not counting on it.

Granted, I'm not in an optimistic mood right now.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 10:53:54 EST by VinnieVOL » Logged
Creek Walker
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2013, 02:21:06 EST »

I agree that the Auburn and UT situations are apples-oranges. But I also have less confidence in our coaching staff as a whole at this point than I have had at any point since they were hired. It isn't that I expected UT to win today; I didn't. It isn't that I expected UT to be better than 4-6 at this point; I didn't. It isn't even necessarily the lopsided nature of the last few games. It's the way these things are transpiring on the field. To be frank, our guys do not appear well coached in too many situations. That doesn't mean I'm bailing on Butch Jones; I'm not. I'm still 100% behind him...if for no other reason than it would be unreasonable to think that he would adjust to SEC football right away. The things he has done as far as selling the program and recruiting are remarkable. And the fact that he is able to hang on to all these recruits (so far) despite the way the season has played out makes it even more remarkable. With that said, sometimes coaches are too loyal to their staff and it brings them down as a result. Most of the guys on Butch's staff are guys he brought with him because they had worked together for years and he is loyal to them and comfortable with them. If it's necessary to make adjustments to the staff after the season, will Butch be willing to make those changes? Specifically, I'm referring to Janzek.

I guess we'll see. I would be lying if I said I didn't have a few concerns right now, but I also think if we come out and get wins against Vandy and UK and get to a bowl game, everyone's mood is going to improve and we'll all start to look at the glass a little more half full than half empty.
Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2013, 05:11:55 EST »

You can expect a tongue lashing for such an attitude shortly.

I agree that the Auburn and UT situations are apples-oranges. But I also have less confidence in our coaching staff as a whole at this point than I have had at any point since they were hired. It isn't that I expected UT to win today; I didn't. It isn't that I expected UT to be better than 4-6 at this point; I didn't. It isn't even necessarily the lopsided nature of the last few games. It's the way these things are transpiring on the field. To be frank, our guys do not appear well coached in too many situations. That doesn't mean I'm bailing on Butch Jones; I'm not. I'm still 100% behind him...if for no other reason than it would be unreasonable to think that he would adjust to SEC football right away. The things he has done as far as selling the program and recruiting are remarkable. And the fact that he is able to hang on to all these recruits (so far) despite the way the season has played out makes it even more remarkable. With that said, sometimes coaches are too loyal to their staff and it brings them down as a result. Most of the guys on Butch's staff are guys he brought with him because they had worked together for years and he is loyal to them and comfortable with them. If it's necessary to make adjustments to the staff after the season, will Butch be willing to make those changes? Specifically, I'm referring to Janzek.

I guess we'll see. I would be lying if I said I didn't have a few concerns right now, but I also think if we come out and get wins against Vandy and UK and get to a bowl game, everyone's mood is going to improve and we'll all start to look at the glass a little more half full than half empty.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2013, 07:18:20 EST »

Good post....Exactly where I am.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: