VTTW Board Index
May 23, 2024, 05:44:22 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Posted with no comment ...  (Read 6239 times)
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« on: November 17, 2019, 01:24:08 EST »

https://twitter.com/i/status/1195901795446312960

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2019, 04:55:40 EST »

#BanPolishedPopCountryCrap

Go Army - Beat Navy!
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2019, 09:49:59 EST »

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2019, 10:30:55 EST »

They played "Friends in Low Places" in the third quarter vs Junior, and Neyland was rocking.  It was a nice moment.  As was the entire game, after that first play anyway.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2019, 11:06:12 EST »

https://youtu.be/kxnDEd3vlno
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2019, 11:11:49 EST »

Has anyone seen the attendance number for the concert?
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2019, 11:12:13 EST »

Now that's country and the country I grew up with. I have 45's and 78's of the 50's 60's 70's country out the wazzu.
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2019, 11:15:26 EST »

Has anyone seen the attendance number for the concert?

Go Army - Beat Navy!
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2019, 11:36:53 EST »

Cool!  Looked fuller than Chesney's show several years back.

Now, hopefully the grass isn't dead. 
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2019, 01:29:44 EST »

From what I saw the set up was much different from the KC show allowing for more full view seating to be used this time. I worked the Chesney show. Attendance was about 65K.

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2019, 09:55:34 EST »

OK, Boomer! 

Ha!  I have been wanting to use that stupid retort. 

Now that i got that outta my system, I would have to agree, of course, pop country sux.  However, I will listen to just about any ol' version of Rocky Top.  Hayull, mebbe even a damn rap version.   

Creek Walker
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2019, 02:57:09 EST »

I'll decry this new-age country as quick as anyone, but Garth Brooks is amazing...I don't care what anyone says. He puts on the best concert that I've ever seen, by far. The only country artist who comes close live is Brad Paisley. And his hit list is amazing. So many great songs. Garth Brooks WAS country music for my generation. Actually, I'm a pretty big fan of '80s and '90s country; I think it was country's best era. And Garth pretty well defined the era. Most people who hate Garth don't realize how big an influence Chris Ledoux was on him, and Ledoux is as country as country ever was.

Today's country, though, flat-out sucks. There is occasionally a song I like, but I sure wouldn't call it country, and 90% of it isn't worth listening to. I never turn on country radio anymore.
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2019, 03:21:11 EST »

I'll decry this new-age country as quick as anyone, but Garth Brooks is amazing...I don't care what anyone says. He puts on the best concert that I've ever seen, by far. The only country artist who comes close live is Brad Paisley. And his hit list is amazing. So many great songs. Garth Brooks WAS country music for my generation. Actually, I'm a pretty big fan of '80s and '90s country; I think it was country's best era. And Garth pretty well defined the era. Most people who hate Garth don't realize how big an influence Chris Ledoux was on him, and Ledoux is as country as country ever was.

Today's country, though, flat-out sucks. There is occasionally a song I like, but I sure wouldn't call it country, and 90% of it isn't worth listening to. I never turn on country radio anymore.

Tractor rap. Garbage. What happened? The 80s & 90s were great eras, too. Probably purty good until 2005 or so. Just total garbage anymore. 100% agreement 
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2019, 03:28:34 EST »

Agree, the only time I listen to country is "Prime Country" on Sirius.  And bluegrass...

Like you say, he was country music of our generation.  I can't think of any other country stars from that era that could even halfway fill Neyland.  George Strait, maybe?  Heck, I can't think of any artist that could put 84k in Neyland right now.  The way his superstar status had spanned generations is amazing.  
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2019, 03:57:19 EST »

Each to his or her own. If you like Garth, no problem.  I'm more of a Red Dirt/Texas Coutry guy.   

Go Army - Beat Navy!
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2019, 05:02:51 EST »

Garth is excellent. He played like 9 sold out shows in a row in Sioux Falls, SD. I did , however see Keith Urban at the Buffalo Chip campground in Sturgis. One of the best shows I have seen in a long time. I had watched Disturbed there a couple days earlier. Surprisingly, Urban was louder.

volsboyinsodak
Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2019, 05:43:57 EST »

I'm a Possum kind of guy...

FLVOL
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2019, 10:05:06 EST »

long live bluegrass, the last pure genre. My wife's family is thick in bluegrass of the old days, and it's fun to get together with her family and listen to the pickin fest that usually happens this time of year on the family farm in BE-uatiful Philadelphia, TN.  I can't wait!  

11B4PJ3F7
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2019, 10:18:02 EST »

I'm a Possum kind of guy...

Love me some Possum
10EC
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2019, 10:29:52 EST »

long live bluegrass, the last pure genre. My wife's family is thick in bluegrass of the old days, and it's fun to get together with her family and listen to the pickin fest that usually happens this time of year on the family farm in BE-uatiful Philadelphia, TN.  I can't wait!  

I was a big fan of the Knoxville Grass.  Their version of Darby’s Castle was just great...
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2019, 10:32:20 EST »

I was a big fan of the Knoxville Grass.  Their version of Darby’s Castle was just great...

Used to go to Buddy's BBQ every weekend during the 75-76ish time period to listen to them.  Well, we also went because our fake IDs worked there when the alcohol age was 18, too.  
« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 10:36:13 EST by HerbTarlekVol » Logged

Go Army - Beat Navy!
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2019, 10:35:16 EST »

I was a big fan of the Knoxville Grass.  Their version of Darby’s Castle was just great...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9Noe3yaK60

Go Army - Beat Navy!
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2019, 10:38:10 EST »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2bS7cPxu78&list=PLHuG1rUZ8z8KbDFOyagfougLISzqwOhhh

Go Army - Beat Navy!
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2019, 11:06:25 EST »

My mom was raised in Hiltons Va. She went to school with the Carter sisters. Said she would stop into AP Carter's store on the way home from school. Played HS basketball with Helen. The Birthplace of country music. Yessirree.

volsboyinsodak
FLVOL
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2019, 03:30:24 EST »

http://archive.knoxnews.com/entertainment/bluegrass-royalty-band-working-on-half-century-of-pure-pickin-harmonies-ep-411446858-359860621.html

My wife's grandpa is Ray Brewster, who Bud Brewster filled in for after Ray B's passing in 1948.

Paul Brewster, who is Bud Brewster's son, currently plays/sings for Ricky Skaggs, and he's the most perfect tenor that's ever graced a microphone

https://youtu.be/7V70jtahBIM

I might be a little biased though, he's not only family, but a good friend too 🤘

11B4PJ3F7
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: