VTTW Board Index
May 12, 2024, 07:23:04 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Personal observations...  (Read 6908 times)
Screaming Eagle Dad
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: November 25, 2013, 02:46:01 EST »

Palardy had to be injured somehow otherwise he makes that kick. Pig had a brain fart, players are coached not to touch them if you see the backs of their jersey's.
Vandy owned Tennessee's O-line and d-line in the first quarter. When the Vols lined up in the I formation each time they got stuffed by a much smaller defensive line, this boils down to want to and determination.
I do have a problem with the play calling. Tennessee simply did nothing to stretch the field Saturday, NOTHING! Blame that on the loss of North all you want but I'm not buying it. There are others that can get deep.
Bottom line is the Vols should have won that game missing a chip shot FG and a TD called back.
I hope I'm wrong, but I think they struggle against Kentucky.  

Addendum: IMHO Dobbs has regressed since his debut.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 02:58:18 EST by Screaming Eagle Dad » Logged
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2013, 03:09:03 EST »

The first quarter was pathetic, but we did better later.  I think one key was that we were running almost exclusively between the tackles in the first but later ran to the edge.  I guess Vandy might be one of the few teams with less speed than us, because that worked.   

I agree that I would have liked to have seen more downfield passing.  Unfortunately the first two downfield throws were picks....Dobbs was just off Saturday.  There should have been more downfield shots later in the game, I agree about that, in spite of the problems, though it would help if Smith could catch the one right in his mitts.  I will say this...I don't think Butch blamed all the passing problems on the loss of North, he just said it was "catastrophic".  Probably a comment best left unsaid or stated differently though, as that definitely exagerates it IMO.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
ChattanoogaVol
All-SEC

Time is best spent with family and friends.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2013, 11:17:31 EST »

Palardy had to be injured somehow otherwise he makes that kick. Pig had a brain fart, players are coached not to touch them if you see the backs of their jersey's.
Vandy owned Tennessee's O-line and d-line in the first quarter. When the Vols lined up in the I formation each time they got stuffed by a much smaller defensive line, this boils down to want to and determination.
I do have a problem with the play calling. Tennessee simply did nothing to stretch the field Saturday, NOTHING! Blame that on the loss of North all you want but I'm not buying it. There are others that can get deep.
Bottom line is the Vols should have won that game missing a chip shot FG and a TD called back.
I hope I'm wrong, but I think they struggle against Kentucky.  

Can't argue with this...just really down on UT football right now.

Go Big Orange.
Creek Walker
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2013, 11:19:33 EST »

I don't think there's any doubt.

On a related note, Butch confirmed today that Riley Ferguson broke a bone in his leg earlier in the season. How bizarre is it that we have four quarterbacks on scholarship and three of them were unavailable at the same time due to injury?

I really think that Ferg will be the starter at the position by the end of spring practice...but maybe that's just wishful thinking since he's the only one we haven't seen stink up the field. 
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2013, 12:09:03 EST »

I don't think there's any doubt.

On a related note, Butch confirmed today that Riley Ferguson broke a bone in his leg earlier in the season. How bizarre is it that we have four quarterbacks on scholarship and three of them were unavailable at the same time due to injury?

I really think that Ferg will be the starter at the position by the end of spring practice...but maybe that's just wishful thinking since he's the only one we haven't seen stink up the field. 
I tend to think Ferguson has an excellent shot. 
He was first in till the leg injury.  Even with that injury I saw him rifle the ball 55 yards on the numbers in warmups for the bamer game.  The kid can fling it.

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2013, 01:38:35 EST »

My personal observation:

Let's get this damned season over with, get in the weight room, recruit like mad men, and get ready for spring practice.  

And an addendum:  And please re-evaluate the coordinators.  

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2013, 02:00:55 EST »

My personal observation:

Let's get this damned season over with, get in the weight room, recruit like mad men, and get ready for spring practice.  

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2013, 03:19:45 EST »

My personal observation:

The recruiting part is largely done just need to hold on to them. 

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2013, 03:33:03 EST »

The recruiting part is largely done just need to hold on to them. 

Talking about recruiting for 2015, 2016, 2017, ..................

Go Army - Beat Navy!
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2013, 07:25:57 EST »

Talking about recruiting for 2015, 2016, 2017, ..................

Yeah, we're going to need those too.   

MIAUTIGER
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2013, 03:46:52 EST »

Yeah, we're going to need those too.   

Curious question from this Auburn fan: are you guys even recruiting a QB?  I've heard about the various other positions that you guys are filling with 4 and 5 star recruits.  But I haven't heard any mention of a QB, which surprises me since Butch, IMO, would want to get a QB that fits his style of offense.

Bammer suxes! That is all!
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2013, 04:16:00 EST »

Curious question from this Auburn fan: are you guys even recruiting a QB?  I've heard about the various other positions that you guys are filling with 4 and 5 star recruits.  But I haven't heard any mention of a QB, which surprises me since Butch, IMO, would want to get a QB that fits his style of offense.
Not this year.
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2013, 04:23:56 EST »

Many of us have been asking that same question. 

Wish we had an answer.   

Go Army - Beat Navy!
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2013, 08:20:56 EST »

It is odd...reminds me of Kiffin's first year, when he "run oft" Tahj Boyd and then didn't recruit a QB...and we had JONATHAN CROMPTON coming back.   

The thought I hear most is that Butch trusts in the two he already has...which at this point most Vols hope is Riley Ferguson based on how Dobbs has performed recently.

I think with a whole spring and summer to develop Dobbs could still be the guy, and/or if Worley continues to progress as in the Uga and USCe games we could get through the next year with those two along with Ferguson.  This might be what Jones is thinking also, but who knows.

He could always borrow a page from Malzahn and get a JUCO later next year...though I have no idea how that works with the NCAA and eligibility.

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2013, 08:39:45 EST »

It is odd...reminds me of Kiffin's first year, when he "run oft" Tahj Boyd and then didn't recruit a QB...and we had JONATHAN CROMPTON coming back.   

The thought I hear most is that Butch trusts in the two he already has...which at this point most Vols hope is Riley Ferguson based on how Dobbs has performed recently.

I think with a whole spring and summer to develop Dobbs could still be the guy, and/or if Worley continues to progress as in the Uga and USCe games we could get through the next year with those two along with Ferguson.  This might be what Jones is thinking also, but who knows.

He could always borrow a page from Malzahn and get a JUCO later next year...though I have no idea how that works with the NCAA and eligibility.
With the red shirting of Ferguson we essentially have a FR QB, with a year in the program under his belt

A QB who I think was the best on campus (until his leg injury he was ahead of Dobbs on the depth chart)

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Creek Walker
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2013, 08:49:08 EST »

I really think Butch feels that he already has a serviceable QB who fits his system. And, like Pirate, I feel that QB is Ferguson. Obviously none of us know much about what happens outside of gameday, but from what little we've seen of Ferguson, I think he has the best arm and the best mechanics of the four. He can flat-out rifle the ball, and he doesn't have bad wheels either. If he's got the mentality to be an SEC quarterback, good things could happen for UT.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: