VTTW Board Index
May 04, 2024, 05:07:16 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I think someone's moving to safety. Who's it going to be?  (Read 3790 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: January 21, 2016, 01:10:38 EST »

Todd Kelly, Evan Berry, Stephen Griffin.  That's an exhaustive list of all the scholarship safeties on our roster.  Clearly, they're going to move at least one guy, and probably more.  I've seen speculation that Jajuan Jennings might be a candidate, but we're pretty thin at WR, too.  I don't think we can afford to lose one of them.  So who?  Gaulden?  Mcdowell?

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2016, 01:34:38 EST »

Jennings needs to move there...period. Dot.

Wasting his talents on offense where he's getting the balls in his hands about 2 times per game or less. We've got other WRs that can catch the WR screen or the 3 yard out!!!!
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2016, 01:47:37 EST »

Jennings needs to move there...period. Dot.

Wasting his talents on offense where he's getting the balls in his hands about 2 times per game or less. We've got other WRs that can catch the WR screen or the 3 yard out!!!!

But that would leave Malone, Williams, and Smith as our only WRs with any meaningful experience.  Maybe Croom too, but who knows if he'll play again. 

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2016, 08:44:28 EST »

To me a nickel back is mostly an extra safety...so I expect Gaulden to get a look

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2016, 10:56:14 EST »

Anyone lining up at WR in 2016 is wasted. Move Jennings to safety.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2016, 11:05:30 EST »

Anyone lining up at WR in 2016 is wasted.

I really hope that's not the case.  If we just have the threat of a downfield passing game, this offense goes from good to lethal.  I hold out hope that Dobbs will improve that part of his game this season.  We finally have an above average OL, and if the few WRs we have can stay healthy, there's no reason it can't happen.  I would still keep JJ on offense, at least for this season.

At any rate, signing Nigel Warrior in a couple weeks can go a long way towards putting my safety worries to rest.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2016, 11:51:20 EST »

Anyone lining up at WR in 2016 is wasted. Move Jennings to safety.

I think thats a good idea almost solely based on the way he played.  He dropped quite a few, but broke up a couple sure interceptions.  It should at least be considered.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2016, 04:28:02 EST »

I'd love to see us be able to stretch the field, but given current personnel, it's not what we can do. Put good blockers at WR, and send everyone else to other position groups if they can help.

That having been said, Jennings has the potential to be a great blocker, and I don't mean that in a snide way.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2016, 04:54:50 EST »

I'd love to see us be able to stretch the field, but given current personnel, it's not what we can do. Put good blockers at WR, and send everyone else to other position groups if they can help.

That having been said, Jennings has the potential to be a great blocker, and I don't mean that in a snide way.

I think a little improvement by Dobbs in passing will go a long way.  I don't see him ever being Peyton Manning, but maybe he can at least be Jeff Francis.   

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2016, 05:02:07 EST »

I went back and looked at our games this year and amazingly enough the passing game was working a bit early in the season then disappeared during the middle, only to get a bit better later in the season.
Early we worked the mid length passes pretty well.  Dobbs will never be accurate long down the field.  He also tends to not go through his progressions well.  When he does he can be very good (see Missouri game).  His short passes tend to be high or very low.  The first couple of games we threw to Jennings and Williams more than the rest of the season combined.  Some of that was Williams missing three games and Jennings learning the position. 

Jennings likes to hit, I think if he learns the safety position he is capable of playing on Sundays.  He was a good blocker but he whiffed a lot as well.  If he just makes a half assed block in the 3rd quarter we beat OU for example.
Our most consistent WR blocker has been Josh Smith.  He will block to the echo of a whistle.  Pearson could block but would be inconsistent within a game.
Best route runner was JJ (last 2-3 years).  He was a possession receiver that was under utilized.
The most improved WR this year was Malone.  He really improved the consistently of his route running.
Best receiver we had on the field IMO?  Josh Smith but a large margin.

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: