VTTW Board Index
May 13, 2024, 10:44:22 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: one thing I remember well about the VOLS in the 70's  (Read 1436 times)
Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: October 23, 2020, 11:43:01 EDT »

...was the streak.  No, not that nude runnin' craze, but the losing streak to Allarbammer.  It seemed like that was the only thing Vol fans cared about back then.  It finally came to a merciful end in '82, and I was there in the stands and on the field afterwards.  That was a huge milestone for the program.  We were not 'back' until at least that happened.  11 straight losses to the Tide spanning from 1970 thru 1981.  So embarrassing.

And yet...

we now have lost 13 in a row to the Tide and Vol fans don't even seem to care(probably because the program is in much worse shape than that one streak implies).  The lack of interest is not really apathy per se, but really just the result of a fan base that has been beaten into total disillusionment.  Sadly, I don't think there is much real faith in the Vols out there.  Hell, I don't think I really have any.  I have about zero expectations for the game tomorrow.  And that has pretty much been the case for what?  the last 5 years?  7 years?  10 years?  Pretty fizzleing pathetic.  There is no faith, no hope, nobody really believes we have a chance out there.  Hell, last week the players were out on the field playing like they didn't even believe they could beat Kentucky.  The game, the season, can turn on a dime, true, but tell me why nobody talks about the 13 game losing streak to Bama?  No Vol fans talk about it cuz they know the streak ain't ending anytime soon.  THat is the sad dreary truth.  I hate to be so fizzleing negative, but that is pretty much my mindset when I think about watching the game tomorrow.  I will be interested in how we hold up in certain areas, how this person will do, how that person will play, etc, but winning?  1 in a 1000 maybe, if our odds are even that good.

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2020, 11:50:28 EDT »

...was the streak.  No, not that nude runnin' craze, but the losing streak to Allarbammer.  It seemed like that was the only thing Vol fans cared about back then.  It finally came to a merciful end in '82, and I was there in the stands and on the field afterwards.  That was a huge milestone for the program.  We were not 'back' until at least that happened.  11 straight losses to the Tide spanning from 1970 thru 1981.  So embarrassing.

And yet...

we now have lost 13 in a row to the Tide and Vol fans don't even seem to care(probably because the program is in much worse shape than that one streak implies).  The lack of interest is not really apathy per se, but really just the result of a fan base that has been beaten into total disillusionment.  Sadly, I don't think there is much real faith in the Vols out there.  Hell, I don't think I really have any.  I have about zero expectations for the game tomorrow.  And that has pretty much been the case for what?  the last 5 years?  7 years?  10 years?  Pretty fizzleing pathetic.  There is no faith, no hope, nobody really believes we have a chance out there.  Hell, last week the players were out on the field playing like they didn't even believe they could beat Kentucky.  The game, the season, can turn on a dime, true, but tell me why nobody talks about the 13 game losing streak to Bama?  No Vol fans talk about it cuz they know the streak ain't ending anytime soon.  THat is the sad dreary truth.  I hate to be so fizzleing negative, but that is pretty much my mindset when I think about watching the game tomorrow.  I will be interested in how we hold up in certain areas, how this person will do, how that person will play, etc, but winning?  1 in a 1000 maybe, if our odds are even that good.
Too much Tequila 

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2020, 12:08:00 EDT »

Too much Tequila 

or not enuff!   

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2020, 02:30:59 EDT »

You are correct, it does suck. Only gleams of hope have been Kiffin in 2009 and Jones in 2015.  Last year could have been on that list, but, you know.   

And for the 1000th time I am to this day as pissed at Kiffin for that game as much as I am for him leaving.  He ran the last minute or so off the clock and trotted out a kicker who had already missed from 40+ yards that day, not once, but twice.  He had time to get it under 40 yards!  Which Lincoln had already hit that day.

Never never never will I forgive that fizzle for that.  He lost  a golden opportunity to beat those fizzles.  Still pissed about it after all these years.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2020, 05:30:40 EDT »

The biggest difference between then and now is social media. Now folks can share their disgust for how bad the team is and some can't handle the truth. Some just can't acknowledge the obvious. Like when the grades were posted for last weeks game. They said the OL played well. But it was against KY. I put no stock in those grades. If they grade out well this week then that will be different. Like it's some solace that they graded well against KY. They scored 7 so that negates any good grades they received for the OL.

volsboyinsodak
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2020, 06:21:45 EDT »

The biggest difference between then and now is social media. Now folks can share their disgust for how bad the team is and some can't handle the truth. Some just can't acknowledge the obvious. Like when the grades were posted for last weeks game. They said the OL played well. But it was against KY. I put no stock in those grades. If they grade out well this week then that will be different. Like it's some solace that they graded well against KY. They scored 7 so that negates any good grades they received for the OL.

We averaged 5 yards per carry if you subtract the three sacks of JG.  Run game was fine.  We lost because JG threw 2 pick sixes, not because of the OL. They definitely could have played better but they are not why we lost. 

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2020, 06:37:20 EDT »

You are correct, it does suck. Only gleams of hope have been Kiffin in 2009 and Jones in 2015.  Last year could have been on that list, but, you know.   

And for the 1000th time I am to this day as pissed at Kiffin for that game as much as I am for him leaving.  He ran the last minute or so off the clock and trotted out a kicker who had already missed from 40+ yards that day, not once, but twice.  He had time to get it under 40 yards!  Which Lincoln had already hit that day.

Never never never will I forgive that fizzle for that.  He lost  a golden opportunity to beat those fizzles.  Still pissed about it after all these years.   

IIRC, Lincoln was kicking the balls too low and that fat fizzle from Bammer was blocking the kicks.  All we had to do was snap that last hold & kick 9 yds deep instead of 7 yds deep and it woulda been good.  I don't understand why special team coaches don't put that option in their arsenal.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2020, 07:05:33 EDT »

IIRC, Lincoln was kicking the balls too low and that fat fizzle from Bammer was blocking the kicks.  All we had to do was snap that last hold & kick 9 yds deep instead of 7 yds deep and it woulda been good.  I don't understand why special team coaches don't put that option in their arsenal.

That might have worked.  One reason Lincoln was kicking low is he had a nagging injury (his hammy I think, but not sure).  He could still kick but they were lower.  The player from bammer actually blocked Lincoln twice that day.  It didn't matter if it was blocked or not, my opinion at the time is that Lincoln would miss. He had been battling the injury for a few games and just wasn't hitting much outside of 40 yards.  Kiffin should have realized this, it was glaringly obvious.

When he was asked about it post-game, he stated that he felt like if we tried to get more yards we would get a penalty implying that the refs were going to bail bammer out.  Which is a complete cop-out. It was a horrible decision.  When I saw them running the clock out, I just sat down on my couch. I had jumped up when we made the first down, but running out the clock made almost no sense at all. I didn't need to see the kick, I already knew we had probably lost.  fizzleing Kiffin!   

Anyway, your idea is a very good one, but Lincoln just wasn't hitting much past 40 yards due to his injury, so while it probably would have not been blocked I think it's very likely he would have missed anyway.

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2020, 07:26:57 EDT »

He was also injured

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: