VTTW Board Index
May 14, 2024, 05:33:05 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: If you had told me coming in that the defense would be the bright spot  (Read 1817 times)
Creek Walker
« on: September 03, 2021, 05:36:38 EDT »

I'm not very optimistic about this season, but I really was looking forward to seeing Huepel's offense. I felt the offense would be much improved, the defense would be terrible, and we'd probably finish somewhere around 5-7. The offense was impressive early, fell into a slump after that and never really recovered. But I thought the defense (with the exception of the two FG drives in the second quarter) played outstanding. I'll grant you that Bowling Green's offense is terrible...but BGSU's defense is also terrible, and we didn't exactly light it up against them. So props to the defense.

Milton obviously has all the tools but his consistency is nowhere near where it needs to be. I feel he's Huepel's guy because Huepel recruited him, so Huepel will stick with him no matter what. I hope that's not the case, if he struggles as much as he looked like he might tonight when he faces a good defense.

To be fair, though, Milton's teammates didn't exactly help him out. The two drops by Jalen Hiatt were bad, and the two straight holding calls took a TD off the board.

Updated to add that the holding penalties aside, I thought the OL played better than I would've expected. We thought this unit would be good last year and they never gelled. Looked good in the run game and in pass protection tonight.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2021, 05:41:22 EDT by Creek Walker » Logged
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2021, 05:54:24 EDT »

First of all, its a win, even if it wasn't what we were all hoping to see from the offense.

A couple of positives for me were:  (1) the fact that coaches seemed to make adjustments at halftime that were helpful, unlike the past few years and (2) the team played hard, (3) the running game was bullish - I know that it was Bowling Green but they still produced.

I was not really impressed by Milton tonight.  He has a cannon arm, but there were receivers running open and he couldn't seem to find them.  There were a couple of drops that didn't help and at times the protection wasn't great, but receivers were running open on a lot of plays and never got the ball.  There were several throws that he made that would have been straight up INTs against SEC defenders.  That last throw to Tillman, for example, was thrown into tight coverage while a couple of other receivers had good separation.  Tillman saved him on that play.

The old adage is that a team improves the most between game 1 and game 2 - we are going to need that to be true.

Lastly, I was really surprised that we didn't see a backup QB play in the 4th (until Hooker came in very late).  That is a little disturbing if it means that Milton is by far the best option in the QB room, because he didn't really impress me tonight.  I really hope that I get to post a complete retraction to this after the next game.

Coach 'em up, CJH.  I'll be back next week supporting the team as always.  GBO!!!!
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2021, 06:28:09 EDT »

It's just too hard to tell anything about a team when they are matched up against an opponent like BGSU. Let's call this performance not too confidence inspiring.

volsboyinsodak
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2021, 07:14:39 EDT »

I thought that there would be some callers on the shows talking about Milton, but wow... I was surprised at all the "oh no, this guy's JG all over again!" wailing I've read other places and heard.

No, it wasn't good.  But I think we need to see more than a game before we can make that judgement.
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2021, 09:30:54 EDT »

Milton played exactly as UM fans said he did there. That ain't good.

I was very disappointed another QB didn't appear in the 3rd quarter.

Also, tonight was an opportunity to sell tickets to future events. That didn't happen.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2021, 01:24:16 EDT »

A friend that coached football where I used to teach was at the game. He said that we had receivers running wide open a lot and Milton wasn't finding them. That's disturbing. If not for being able to run the ball against them, that game might have been really ugly.

I'm not ready to give up on him by a long shot - not yet - but his passing numbers against that D were not impressive imo. He will need to play much better against tougher defenses than BG if we are to get to 6-6 or better, I think.
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2021, 04:41:18 EDT »

I'm just surprised being the offensive and QB guru Huepel is supposed to be, Milton didn't look too "coached up" yet. Hopefully it will get better. It has to or the SEC teams will feast on us.

volsboyinsodak
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2021, 04:48:40 EDT »

Gotta credit Heupel for running the ball to open the second half, but he deserves criticism for not giving Hooker or Bailey more time.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
Creek Walker
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2021, 04:53:17 EDT »

Gotta credit Heupel for running the ball to open the second half, but he deserves criticism for not giving Hooker or Bailey more time.

I think HB would've probably been well suited to have seen the writing on the wall and gone ahead and entered the portal. I don't think he fits Heupel's scheme and I don't think he's going to see the field. Obviously Hooker is the #2 option. That's unfortunate because I think HB is the most talented QB on the roster. If he doesn't fit the scheme then it is what it is, but it's just a shame that he's going to sit and rot deep in the depth chart.
VOLMAN
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2021, 05:43:42 EDT »

Milton is horrible! He can't read the field (didn't see WIDE OPEN WRs and TEs), stared at his receiver and holds the ball too long....on top of that he has rabbit in his blood (likes to run) and isn't fast! Evans and Small are good. The OL should''ve dominated in a more physical, brutish fashion....I hope we don''t loose Cooper. I was very disappointed that Huepel didn't give Bailey a  shot but instead trotted Milton the Horrible out each time. Huepel MUST find a serviceable QB or we're in for trouble starting next week.          
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2021, 07:53:55 EDT »

Milton is horrible! He can't read the field (didn't see WIDE OPEN WRs and TEs), stared at his receiver and holds the ball too long....on top of that he has rabbit in his blood (likes to run) and isn't fast! Evans and Small are good. The OL should''ve dominated in a more physical, brutish fashion....I hope we don''t loose Cooper. I was very disappointed that Huepel didn't give Bailey a  shot but instead trotted Milton the Horrible out each time. Huepel MUST find a serviceable QB or we're in for trouble starting next week.          

I guess that depends on your definition of "fast".  He has been described, variously, as "fast for his size" and "fast for a QB".  He has been clocked under 4.7.  Is that "fast for a QB"?  I think so.  Not sure how fast JG was, but from what I saw Milton is at least  a better runner than JG.  Passing?  Didnt see a big step up, which is scary.

I haven't dug into either Milton or Hooker's past in any depth, but they flashed some stats up for Hooker's career at VaTech that at least looked pretty good (think the TD/int ratio was 22/7 or something like that).  They looked much better than Milton at UM.  I suspect Hooker is a much better passer but Heupel doesn't want to put too much into a guy with only a year of eligibility left.

https://www.si.com/college/michigan/football/michigan-football-joe-milton-jim-harbaugh-josh-gattis-wolverines-hype-starting-quarterback-season-2020

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2021, 07:58:09 EDT »

I hesitate to say the defense was a bright spot, since they played a team that only averged 11 points a game last season.  However, it was encouraging that they didn't give up 20 points, right?  But anytime you play one of the worst BCS teams in the country it's hard to draw any solid conclusions about anything.

Also while I agree the offense struggled overall in the second quarter, we adjusted and went to the run game with great success in the 2nd half, though the pass game continued to struggle.  It worked last night, but our next oppenent and most of our SEC oppenents won't have as porous a run D as BG.

Pittsburgh is a quality opponent. We we learn a lot more about both sides of the ball next Saturday.

I will say this though, I am happy with the win.  At the end of the day, 38-6 is good even against one of the worst teams in the country.  This game didn't build a lot of confidence in the rest of the season, but it was more positive than negative IMO.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2021, 11:54:16 EDT »

Completely agree with Creek on Bailey, and Bandit on Hooker.

Just win now.

volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2021, 04:58:08 EDT »

after watching some of the Saturday games, the rich get richer. Bama and UGa's defense look pretty stout. if we don't get extremely better QB play they will embarrass us. Just crazy how they reload. Hard to get your head around how much talent they get. Bama has 3 QB's that have played at Bama in the last 3 years that will be starting week one this NFL season. That's pretty crazy. UGa is about as loaded too. It's just impossible to expect a 3 star team to be these 5 star laden teams. I get sick of everyone saying it takes time. Of course it does. But we got to land a lot of 5 stars. I just don't know if Huepel will ever be able to compete in that regard with the likes of Smart, Saban, Dabo and Day. If not 9-3 or 8-4 will be our ceiling for a long time. Do you guys expect us to win a conference title anytime soon? I guess we have to start by winning the SECe. Seems like a lot of us have grown tired of the struggle.

volsboyinsodak
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2021, 05:26:43 EDT »

after watching some of the Saturday games, the rich get richer. Bama and UGa's defense look pretty stout. if we don't get extremely better QB play they will embarrass us. Just crazy how they reload. Hard to get your head around how much talent they get. Bama has 3 QB's that have played at Bama in the last 3 years that will be starting week one this NFL season. That's pretty crazy. UGa is about as loaded too. It's just impossible to expect a 3 star team to be these 5 star laden teams. I get sick of everyone saying it takes time. Of course it does. But we got to land a lot of 5 stars. I just don't know if Huepel will ever be able to compete in that regard with the likes of Smart, Saban, Dabo and Day. If not 9-3 or 8-4 will be our ceiling for a long time. Do you guys expect us to win a conference title anytime soon? I guess we have to start by winning the SECe. Seems like a lot of us have grown tired of the struggle.

So its news somehow that after setting a record for portal transfers this off season we wont be competitive with bammer and uga?

Come on vb. You can do better than that. I guess thats what happens when you bring a 3 star poster to a 5 star message board. 

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2021, 05:32:48 EDT »

It's just too hard to tell anything about a team when they are matched up against an opponent like BGSU. Let's call this performance not too confidence inspiring.

How do you know? You posted elsewhere that you didnt watch it.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2021, 05:36:04 EDT »

I'm just surprised being the offensive and QB guru Huepel is supposed to be, Milton didn't look too "coached up" yet. Hopefully it will get better. It has to or the SEC teams will feast on us.

How did Milton not "look" coached up if you didnt see the game?

volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2021, 07:58:47 EDT »

I watched it  later. He was just mainly inconsistent.

volsboyinsodak
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: