VTTW Board Index
May 14, 2024, 12:44:09 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TSSAA PLAYOFFS are HERE!  (Read 725 times)
Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: November 05, 2021, 10:49:31 EDT »

I wish I could come down and see 'em all.  There is nothing like the atmosphere of HS football playoffs.  I dunno, maybe I am waxing nostalgic.  Seems like some pretty good games in the first round.  Germantown/Brentwood looks good, McMinn vs Oak Ridge......I guess some others.  Who ya got?

Isn't TnPhil on here a coach for Humboldt?  or used to be?  I see they are playing in Memphis tonight.

I wonder what game Herb will be calling?????

My MUS Owls host Father Ryan.  Should be a good game.  Winner gets to face McCallie nest week and potentially get steamrolled!  I went to Briarcrest in elementary and middle school and they almost always had a team that was only so-so.  Briarcrest has a great team this year and it will be interesting to see how far they can go.  The Saints have a bye this week.

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2021, 02:15:33 EDT »

Yes....I was at Humboldt for many years....My last year was 1996. spent many years in the playoffs.....spent several Thanksgivings practicing and getting ready for the game the following day....Beat Maryville at Maryville for the state championship in 1979....played for two more state championships played at Vandy and Dudley Field...

Back in those days Bowl games were very big too....Played in a lot of them....You could lose 1 game and be knocked out of the playoffs in those days. One of the best games I was involved in was the old Tobacco Bowl in Hartsville, Tn......Humboldt was 8-2 and played 9-1 Franklin County. Humboldt won 35-28....Our tailback went on and played at UT for Majors.

Good Times in the 70's....80's....90's
« Last Edit: November 06, 2021, 02:24:33 EDT by Tnphil » Logged
Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2021, 05:39:05 EST »

Yes....I was at Humboldt for many years....My last year was 1996. spent many years in the playoffs.....spent several Thanksgivings practicing and getting ready for the game the following day....Beat Maryville at Maryville for the state championship in 1979....played for two more state championships played at Vandy and Dudley Field...

Back in those days Bowl games were very big too....Played in a lot of them....You could lose 1 game and be knocked out of the playoffs in those days. One of the best games I was involved in was the old Tobacco Bowl in Hartsville, Tn......Humboldt was 8-2 and played 9-1 Franklin County. Humboldt won 35-28....Our tailback went on and played at UT for Majors.

Good Times in the 70's....80's....90's

THose really were good times.  I got to play in 6 playoff games and one bowl game during my HS career.  My soph yr we only lost one game in district and that kept us out of the playoffs.  That is much different than today, for sure.  Luckily we got invited to play in the Millington Jaycee Bowl which turned out to be a great experience.  We were matched up with our hated prep school rival, CBHS, and proceeded to whip them 24-0.  Back in those days, my coach would give you a "letter" for football if you played in 8 different quarters that season.  Well, myself and 3 of my buddies had 7 quarters going in to the bowl game.  All of us got in for one play in that bowl game and that got us a coveted letter.  It was pretty dang cool to walk around the halls in our red and blue letter jackets as sophomores!  I still have that jacket in my closet.    

I also remember Jr year playing Ridgeway at Halle Stadium in Memphis.  Halle was a fairly big stadium for HS, and it was used as home field for a few different HS's at the time.  It was cool to play at that facility, but I remember well how damn cold it was that November game in 1982.  I think temps got down in the lower teens for the game.  Somebody had bought a bunch of "Big Mama Pantyhose" and made them available in the lockeroom.  It was so damn cold I put a pair on while suiting up.  At halftime nearly all of us were ripping those damn things off because we got hotter that Hell!    So funny.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2021, 05:10:44 EST by Coupe De VOL » Logged

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2021, 12:35:42 EST »

Good story

There were good bowls back in the 60's...70's....80's and into the early 90's. when they expanded the playoffs it killed the bowls. Now if you can fog a mirror they will put you in the playoffs...sad.

Memphis had some bowls over the years....Ripley...Brownsville....Martin....Union City....Milan...Jackson...Henderson and Middle and East Tn had bowls. You made more money playing in bowls than you did in the playoffs....The TSSAA didn't and that was the problem. Thus the expanded playoffs.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: