VTTW Board Index
May 13, 2024, 12:44:14 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why Bleacher Report sucks, Exhibit A  (Read 11041 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: November 20, 2012, 03:15:36 EST »

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1413516-derek-dooley-fired-vols-best-move-is-to-bring-back-phil-fulmer-over-jon-gruden?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=tennessee-volunteers-football

Click on the author's bio- he's not even a Tennessee fan!  Given who he IS a fan of, I'd say he may have a bit of an agenda with this article.   

Oh, and I keep reading how Gruden's Super Bowl doesn't really count, because he won it with someone else's players.  Well, if you're going to knock him for that, then you have to credit him for building the team that he beat in that Super Bowl- which, BTW, was the only bright period for the Raiders' franchise in the past 30 years.

RockyMtnVol
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 03:53:46 EST »

Bring back The Great Pumpkin, baby!!   
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 06:49:11 EST »

You mean you actually not only lowered yourself to read Bleacher Report, but posted a link to it?  I am shocked, shocked I say.   

I don't get the agenda part though.  He's a "Pittsburgh sports fan"? 

The analogy to Bill Snyder doesn't work so well....he retired on his own and was not forced out.

I would say Fulmer is better than than Kiffin or Dooley.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2012, 01:30:03 EST »

You mean you actually not only lowered yourself to read Bleacher Report, but posted a link to it?  I am shocked, shocked I say.   

I don't get the agenda part though.  He's a "Pittsburgh sports fan"? 

The analogy to Bill Snyder doesn't work so well....he retired on his own and was not forced out.

I would say Fulmer is better than than Kiffin or Dooley.   

It also says that he likes the whorns.  Given that they are probably going to be searching for a coach of their own this winter, don't you think that Gruden might pop up on their wish list as well?

BTW, BR still sends me email updates.  I subscribed back when I didn't know any better, and have been too lazy to unsubscribe.  Sometimes I'll see a headline that is so outrageous, so over the top stupid, that I can't help but click on it.  It's like trying to look away from a train wreck.

Creek Walker
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2012, 01:48:51 EST »

It's a shame. BR was a pretty good concept ruined because page view greed was allowed to trump everything else. I don't think there are many -- if any -- folks who write stuff there with any real knowledge of the programs they're writing about because their stuff was buried by "top 10 reasons why your team sucks" articles that would get folks worked up and generate a lot of comments, and they got fed up and just stopped. It irritates me to search for a news story on Google and you have to filter through all the BR returns to find something worth reading.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2012, 02:36:22 EST »

It's a shame. BR was a pretty good concept ruined because page view greed was allowed to trump everything else. I don't think there are many -- if any -- folks who write stuff there with any real knowledge of the programs they're writing about because their stuff was buried by "top 10 reasons why your team sucks" articles that would get folks worked up and generate a lot of comments, and they got fed up and just stopped. It irritates me to search for a news story on Google and you have to filter through all the BR returns to find something worth reading.

Yep- that's probably why most of the articles over there are in slide show format.  Why get one page view when you can have 20? 

Creek Walker
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2012, 03:28:31 EST »

Yep- that's probably why most of the articles over there are in slide show format.  Why get one page view when you can have 20? 

For sure. They constantly encourage their writers to do slideshows to increase their page views.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2012, 03:41:44 EST »

Is that why slide shows are so popular?  I suspected it was so.  They annoy the crap out of me, whether at BR, or elsewhere.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2012, 04:22:01 EST »

Is that why slide shows are so popular?  I suspected it was so.  They annoy the crap out of me, whether at BR, or elsewhere.

Yep.  You also see legit news sites that split a normal sized article up into 3-4 pages for the same reason.

Creek Walker
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2012, 04:28:46 EST »

That's the quandary for news sites: The audience has moved to the internet, but the advertising dollars haven't followed suit. Web publishers use all kinds of gimmicks to squeeze out a few extra cents, always at the expense (or at least the inconvenience) of the reader, and slide show stories are the latest example.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: