VTTW Board Index
May 04, 2024, 02:07:42 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Game Report  (Read 1907 times)
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« on: September 11, 2011, 04:04:56 EDT »

A great day for tailgaiting and football!

Offense:
QB - Only the 2nd QB to throw over 400 yards as a VOL.  Bray is on fire.  He is playing with great confience and under control.  He still has great confidence in his arm, as the 2nd TD pass to D Rogers proved.  Probably should not have been thrown but it dripped mustard all the way into Rogers' hands it was thrown so hard.  He is not "there" yet but we do have a confident gunslinger playing for us.  The pass to Huntr for a TD was a thing of beauty.  He is throwing the ball before the receivers are coming out of their breaks - he has great timing working with the two primary receivers.  He was off ][ much on two thrws to Rogers.

RB - Poole, for the most part, ran far better today.  We seem to run better ot of the two TE set, though #39 was pancaking people in front of Poole.  The run of the day though was the late run by Lane - he would not give up.  On the very first run Poole went right when the hole was left but after that he ran well.

WR - W I do not remember a receiver having as good a pair of hands that Hunter has since Sievers.  We also used the TE a LOT today.  Very effective.

OL - Played better for the most part.  IMO the week link was LG, though there were a coule of breakdowns on the right side.

Not a lot went wrong on offense today.  Losing Dallas Thomas was probably the only real loss - hope his knee is ok.

Defense:
DL - played well today.  M. Jackson was a force all day and Maggitt was a force after Martin's inkury.  We used Maggitt outside and inside in passing situations.  Couch played a lot and played well, came up big in the short yardage situations where we STUFFED them.  Smith had a good day.

LB - A. Johnson had a huge day.  Vareen whiffed on a tackle on their long TD run but after that played well.  A.J. Johnson Didn't pop up on my radar screen all day.

DBs - hit or miss all day.  Coleman got burned again.  Evans didn't play as much but I think played well.  Teague played well today and tackled well.  Wagner played well as the 5th back, better than when he was at safety.  Randolph started at FS and I think by the time we play the pups he will be the starting FS and Wagner will be starting at corner opposite Teague.  Lanier got several snaps at corner and what I thought was a bogus PI call.

Special teams:
Kockoffs were much, much better - two touchbacks nand of the rest, all but one were at between the Goalline and the 5, oh and a nice on-sides kick.
Punting, only one but Darr's [unts drag their tail and lose yardage.  All but one of his warmups did the same.  One good punt return wipped out by a penalty.  KO returns were ok, nothing to write home about.

Coaching - one pair of grade A large ones for calling the early on-sides kick
The staff made some excellent adjustments on the fly.

Good game.

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2011, 04:25:28 EDT »

Coaching - one pair of grade A large ones for calling the early on-sides kick

I KNEW that onside kick was coming. I said so, too.

Unfortunately my only witness is a 5-year-old and he won't remember because he was too concerned with going back to the concession stand for another hot dog and Mello Yello. 
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2011, 07:17:52 EDT »

AJ Johnson was in on that first 4th down stop
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: