VTTW Board Index
May 03, 2024, 05:21:06 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pearl/Petrino situational comparison.  (Read 8498 times)
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« on: April 09, 2012, 02:48:08 EDT »

Pearl, a successful coach, lied to the NCAA about a picture of a bbq - he got fired

Petrino, a successful coach, lied to his employer, and police about details of an accident in which he was having an affair with an employee, whom it looks like he hired illegally, and a sexual harrassment case can be made.

Arkansas is doing whatever it can to keep him.

To me Petrino's offense is much worse. Both are firable, but Petrino's offense on the whole is worse, if you look at just what the offense is. How they can keep him is beyond me.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 03:06:46 EDT »

Pearl, a successful coach, lied to the NCAA about a picture of a bbq - he got fired

Petrino, a successful coach, lied to his employer, and police about details of an accident in which he was having an affair with an employee, whom it looks like he hired illegally, and a sexual harrassment case can be made.

To me Petrino's offense is much worse. Both are firable, but Petrino's offense on the whole is worse, if you look at just what the offense is. How they can keep him is beyond me.

To be fair, we would've kept Pearl too, but the NCAA held us at gunpoint and forced our hand. 

Petrino hasn't committed any major NCAA violations that we know of.  But given what we know of him, do you really believe he'd think twice about buying a recruit?  If Arkansas keeps him, it's just a matter of time before they're in deep trouble with more than just some lawyers.

BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 03:37:45 EDT »

What BDV said. I don't think the two can really be compared. Pearl would've still been coaching at UT today if the NCAA hadn't essentially forced the university to fire him. Petrino hasn't done anything to get the NCAA involved in his situation.

That doesn't make it any more fair, though.
VoLynteer
Heisman

One klassy lady

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 03:48:03 EDT »

I love how it's always "Bruce was fired over a BBQ".  Bruce was fired for lying to the NCAA - UT stuck by him for a whole season...he was suspended, had a tearful press conference and went out and committed another violation. 
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 04:12:28 EDT »

I love how it's always "Bruce was fired over a BBQ".  Bruce was fired for lying to the NCAA - UT stuck by him for a whole season...he was suspended, had a tearful press conference and went out and committed another violation. 

Read Nut's post again- that's not what he said.  And Bruce did NOT commit the "bump" violation after his press conference- that was misinformation put out by Hamilton.  The final COI report absolved him of that.

BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 04:18:02 EDT »

he was suspended, had a tearful press conference and went out and committed another violation. 

No he didn't. The NCAA did not consider it a violation and dropped the charge.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2012, 04:30:31 EDT »

I made this same point in the thread below, and you replied "Not an NCAA violation, but this is bad for him personally."      Just sayin'..
LouisVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2012, 06:18:49 EDT »

I see no comparison in Pearl/Petrino.  What I see with Petrino is potential for state government precedence, and I would be surprised if the state does not get involved.  If they turn their head on this, it opens up legal precedent for all supervisor/subordinate relationships in the state government, possible sexual harassment ramifications, etc.  I will be shocked if he survives, but then again, wins are wins and sometimes everything else becomes simply clutter in the background.

My pronouns are:  I, Me, My, and Mine
VoLynteer
Heisman

One klassy lady

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2012, 06:30:45 EDT »

Read Nut's post again- that's not what he said.  And Bruce did NOT commit the "bump" violation after his press conference- that was misinformation put out by Hamilton.  The final COI report absolved him of that.

"Lied about a picture of a BBQ" seems to try to diminish what Pearl did lie about. He lied about a violation.  I just feel that Vol fans try to make it seem like Bruce wasn't in the wrong.  That said, I'm not happy with the punishment Bruce got...but he knew he was caught.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2012, 06:50:49 EDT »

"Lied about a picture of a BBQ" seems to try to diminish what Pearl did lie about. He lied about a violation.  I just feel that Vol fans try to make it seem like Bruce wasn't in the wrong.  That said, I'm not happy with the punishment Bruce got...but he knew he was caught.

That seems a pretty accurate account of what happened to me.  What's missing?  Would you insert "scumbag and cheater" after "successful coach"?   

Nobody's saying Bruce wasn't in the wrong.  But the fact that he was stripped of the right to ply his trade for lying about what is basically a speeding ticket, while guys like Calipari are allowed to cheat with impunity tells me that the NCAA has some serious issues in its enforcement division.

Memphisvolunteer
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2012, 06:51:29 EDT »

Last time I looked, having an affair wasn't an NCAA infection or rule he thumbed his nose at.

While I liked Pearl alot, he not only committed a NCAA infection with the BBQ, but then when confronted by the NCAA about said infection, lied to the NCAA AGAIN about that when they had proof of a picture.

You can't compare these two incidents like that.  Petrino didn't break an NCAA rule and then lie again to the NCAA when he was confronted about it.

Like Pearl and Love Pearl all you want, but what he did was STUPID.  If he had told the NCAA the truth about the picture when asked, Pearl would have received a slap on the wrist.
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2012, 07:05:22 EDT »

Not the issue. He lied about a minor violation, I am not saying he should not have been fired. My point is that IMO Petrino's offense is worse...and it's not over. If there was come coverup with the police going on, then it could turn into a criminal investigation.

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2012, 07:08:56 EDT »

Last time I looked, having an affair wasn't an NCAA infection or rule he thumbed his nose at.

While I liked Pearl alot, he not only committed a NCAA infection with the BBQ, but then when confronted by the NCAA about said infection, lied to the NCAA AGAIN about that when they had proof of a picture.

You can't compare these two incidents like that.  Petrino didn't break an NCAA rule and then lie again to the NCAA when he was confronted about it.

Like Pearl and Love Pearl all you want, but what he did was STUPID.  If he had told the NCAA the truth about the picture when asked, Pearl would have received a slap on the wrist.

He didn't just "have an affair". Read more about what he did. Dude hired her the day the job was posted, and a case of sexual harrassment can be made because by the law, this can look like if someone would sleep with him they get the job. It's illegal. Also, he lied to his boss about the whole thing, which is why he got suspended. Not to mention now there's investiogation going on about a cover up plot with the police, which if true, can be a criminal offense.

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2012, 07:13:37 EDT »

He didn't just "have an affair". Read more about what he did. Dude hired her the day the job was posted, and a case of sexual harrassment can be made because by the law, this can look like if someone would sleep with him they get the job. It's illegal. Also, he lied to his boss about the whole thing, which is why he got suspended. Not to mention now there's investiogation going on about a cover up plot with the police, which if true, can be a criminal offense.

Petrino knew the cops knew about everything- so you have to wonder why he would've lied to the AD about it, unless he thought they were going to cover it up for him, and not include those details in the police report.

Only Kiffin gets away with that.

Memphisvolunteer
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2012, 07:18:22 EDT »

You missed my point Nut.  Whether what Petrino did was illegal or not, which there is a lot of "what-ifs" in your post, that isn't the point.  The NCAA isn't involved because he didn't break an NCAA rule.  He might have broke other laws, but not NCAA rules.  Therefore, you can't compare the two incidents.  If Petrino had lied to the NCAA about a recruiting situation, then yes, the situations would be comparable. 
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2012, 07:18:55 EDT »

Petrino knew the cops knew about everything- so you have to wonder why he would've lied to the AD about it, unless he thought they were going to cover it up for him, and not include those details in the police report.

Only Kiffin gets away with that.

Petrino is a known douchebag, he was that before Arkansas. This type of stuff typically catches up with you. He's also 50...this was not his first "fling", guaranteed. If someone else comes out of the woodwork, Petrino is finished.

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2012, 07:21:57 EDT »

You missed my point Nut.  Whether what Petrino did was illegal or not, which there is a lot of "what-ifs" in your post, that isn't the point.  The NCAA isn't involved because he didn't break an NCAA rule.  He might have broke other laws, but not NCAA rules.  Therefore, you can't compare the two incidents.  If Petrino had lied to the NCAA about a recruiting situation, then yes, the situations would be comparable.  

Whether he broke an NCAA rule is not the point, the point is whether it is a firable offense. You can be fired for doing things that are not NCAA issues. My point is, if Pearl's NCAA issue was a firable offense, this one certainly should be, because he broke University policies. Not many what ifs either. It's pretty easy to prove sexual harrassment in this case, the facts are pretty damning and makes the Univ of Ark look bad as well if they keep him. If Petrino was a .500 coach, he would have already been fired. Not to mention - you think this doesn't hurt their recruiting? You think other coaches won't point out to recruits that they can't trust him?

10EC
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2012, 09:04:52 EDT »

Not the issue. He lied about a minor violation, I am not saying he should not have been fired. My point is that IMO Petrino's offense is worse...and it's not over. If there was come coverup with the police going on, then it could turn into a criminal investigation.

OMG at the freudian slip...   
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2012, 09:06:18 EDT »

OMG at the freudian slip...   

Ok I don't get it 

10EC
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2012, 09:15:38 EDT »

Ok I don't get it 

The word should have been "some"
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2012, 09:24:52 EDT »

The word should have been "some"

oh ok...see it now. 
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2012, 04:41:21 EDT »

Yes, and in a completely unrelated factoid, women voters in the Florida primary voted for Newt Gingrinch at a rate 10% less than their male counterparts. 

Your reasons for disliking Pearl have more to do with his unfaithfulness to his wife than what he got caught doing, you yourself have made that clear in the past.

Having said that, a guy that cheats on his wife is IMO far more likely to cheat, and according to a reliable inside source I have that I won't discuss, Pearl did far more than lie to the NCAA, so I have never had a problem with the firing, sad as it was for our program.  Unfortunately he had let the program get out of control.  IMO.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
VoLynteer
Heisman

One klassy lady

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2012, 05:09:51 EDT »

Yes, and in a completely unrelated factoid, women voters in the Florida primary voted for Newt Gingrinch at a rate 10% less than their male counterparts. 

Your reasons for disliking Pearl have more to do with his unfaithfulness to his wife than what he got caught doing, you yourself have made that clear in the past.

Having said that, a guy that cheats on his wife is IMO far more likely to cheat, and according to a reliable inside source I have that I won't discuss, Pearl did far more than lie to the NCAA, so I have never had a problem with the firing, sad as it was for our program.  Unfortunately he had let the program get out of control.  IMO.
Not just his cheating (which I have no proof of only personal opinion) but his whole attempt to cover up the "only a BBQ" in order to save his "image" as a by the rules guy.  I love Bruce Pearl and will always be a fan but he dug his own grave.
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2012, 07:37:35 EDT »

UT would not have fired Pearl except for the fact that the NCAA forced their hand. At least I do not think so.  Wins are wins.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: