VTTW Board Index
May 03, 2024, 12:38:35 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Penn state penaties announced  (Read 9752 times)
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« on: July 23, 2012, 03:19:17 EDT »

$60 million dollar fine, bowl game ban for 4 years, 10 scholarships taken away for first year, vacate wins from 98 thru 2011, 20 schollies per year for 4 years after initial year

murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 03:23:47 EDT »

Does that mean they can only sign 5 guys yearly (instead of the 25 max) or they can only have 65 on scholarship?

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 03:34:27 EDT »

I think they basically lose 10 the first year and then total of 65 on scholly for 4 years.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 03:39:11 EDT by Volznut » Logged
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 03:36:45 EDT »

The scholly situation is this: No more than 65 players on scholarship for four years, and they can only sign 15 new players to scholarship each year for four years. So it's essentially 10 scholarships per year for four years.

In addition, all 2012 signees get unrestricted releases and are immediately eligible at other institutions. The NCAA is deciding whether to waive scholarship maxes for other schools to accommodate the PSU recruits. That may get PSU down to 65 players immediately.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 03:38:49 EDT by Clockwork Orange » Logged

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 03:38:40 EDT »

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 03:40:23 EDT »

The scholly situation is this: No more than 65 players on scholarship for four years, and they can only sign 15 new players to scholarship each year for four years. So it's essentially 10 scholarships per year for four years.

In addition, all 2012 signees get unrestricted releases and are immediately eligible at other institutions. The NCAA is deciding whether to waive scholarship maxes for other schools to accommodate the PSU recruits. That may get PSU down to 65 players immediately.

Big 10 is also going to hand down some more....this is essentially going to make Penn state a Div 2 type of program, as even the guys they get on schollie will not be very good.

Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2012, 03:40:55 EDT »

Meant to add . . . all PSU players may transfer immediately without penalty, since the postseason ban is a full four years.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2012, 03:45:57 EDT »

Big 10 is also going to hand down some more....this is essentially going to make Penn state a Div 2 type of program, as even the guys they get on schollie will not be very good.

That is certainly what you'd think will happen. This is the 21st century death penalty.

This is why I think severe NCAA punishment is the right thing to do: deterrence. The covering up of egregious misconduct can never be seen as the means to keeping an athletics program competitive. In the case of Penn State, such actions are resulting in the virtual demolition of its football program for a half a decade or more. One can argue whether this sets a dangerous precedent or whether the NCAA stretched its boundaries, but I think the desired effect will be seen. ADs will be very proactive with coach and staff misconduct even if it's not related to the field of play.

Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2012, 03:49:59 EDT »

More details on the transfers:

Quote from: NCAA
Penn State football student-athletes allowed easier transfers

The NCAA understands that the Penn State sanctions announced today will impact both current and incoming football student-athletes. As a result, the NCAA will provide appropriate and immediate relief of some NCAA rules for all eligible football student-athletes.

If football student-athletes elect to consider transferring from Penn State, several provisions of NCAA legislation will be set aside to allow those students both a simpler transfer process and the opportunity to participate immediately wherever they choose to go:

Football student-athletes who transfer will not have to sit out a year of competition. Any incoming or currently enrolled football student-athlete will be immediately eligible upon transfer or initial enrollment at an NCAA institution, provided they are admitted and otherwise eligible per NCAA regulations.

Penn State will release any incoming student-athletes from the National Letter of Intent.

Permission-to-contact rules will be suspended. Penn State cannot restrict in any way a student-athlete from pursuing a possible transfer. Student-athletes must simply inform Penn State of their interest in discussing transfer options with other schools. Interested schools also must inform Penn State of their intention to open discussions with the student-athlete.

Official and unofficial visit rules will be loosened. Any incoming or currently enrolled football student-athletes interested in taking an official or unofficial visit will be permitted to do so during the 2012-13 academic year, no matter how many visits they took during their recruitment. Institutions seeking to provide an official visit to a student who already visited the school as many times as NCAA legislation allows can seek relief from the NCAA on a case-by-case basis.

Additionally, the NCAA is considering waiving scholarship limits for programs to which these football student-athletes transfer, provided they reduce proportionately in the next year. For example, the limit is 25 new scholarships per year to a total of 85 scholarships. If the limits are waived in 2012-13 to accommodate one Penn State student-athlete who wishes to transfer to a particular school already at the limits, in 2013-14 the school will be limited to 24 new scholarships and 84 total scholarships.

The NCAA acknowledges that a large number of transfers away from Penn State could have a negative impact on the team's Academic Progress Rate. This impact will be addressed in the future as part of an overall academic review of the program.

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/public/ncaa/20120723/21207234

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2012, 03:50:41 EDT »

and how do they pay for the program?

Just read where NCAA is considering waiving scholarship limitations for schools that penn state players want to transfer to. Fire sale coming up.
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2012, 04:16:20 EDT »

Here's the consent decree agreed upon by the NCAA and Penn State officials.

http://www.ncaa.com/content/penn-state-conclusions

Quote from: NCAA
The NCAA conclues that this evidence presents an unprecedented failure of institutional integrity leading to a culture in which a football program was held in far higher esteem than the values of the institution, the values of the NCAA, the values of higher education, and most disturbingly the values of human decency.

SmokeyJoe
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2012, 04:19:33 EDT »

Anybody we realistically have a shot at?  Take all their linebackers? What a flippin mess. I always kind of liked Paterno, but this is just unforgivable.
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2012, 04:23:00 EDT »

Anybody we realistically have a shot at?  Take all their linebackers? What a flippin mess. I always kind of liked Paterno, but this is just unforgivable.

Hard to say. We're talking about as many as 85 football players that are suddenly "on the market." Some will undoubtedly stay at PSU but many, understandably, won't.

On the one hand, it is the right thing to do for the players-- they didn't do this and they deserve a shot to play elsewhere. On the other hand, it will feel dirty to recruit them to transfer. But everyone will be doing it.

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2012, 05:02:10 EDT »

IMO they will lose half their players at least, especially the good ones. Seniors for sure.

We could try to get their kicker, Fera. He is a great kicker. They have a very good RB in Redd, and a all big 10 LB in Hodges. They would all help.

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2012, 05:17:49 EDT »

From ESPN Radio ... last official JoePa win now Nov. 1997 vs. Wisc. His starting quarterback? Mike McQueary. http://t.co/thOZaHXO -- David Curtis (@davecurtis33)

LouisVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2012, 05:49:54 EDT »

A lot depends on NCAA ruling on waiver.  The way it reads, would have to give up an initial counter next year, so if you accept a senior transfer, you lose him after this year, and reduce next signing period by one.  Depending on short term impact of that player, maybe it is worth it, maybe not.  Better scenario might be to sign sophs or incoming frosh if high potential.

IMO they will lose half their players at least, especially the good ones. Seniors for sure.

We could try to get their kicker, Fera. He is a great kicker. They have a very good RB in Redd, and a all big 10 LB in Hodges. They would all help.

My pronouns are:  I, Me, My, and Mine
RipleyVol12
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2012, 07:13:20 EDT »

So we technically get the Outback Bowl as a win then?

GO VOLS! 
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2012, 07:16:01 EDT »

GO VOLS!  

I think they vacate the win, but we don't pick up one.

tnflower
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2012, 08:09:28 EDT »

You forgot to mention they also lost Joe's statue. 
101stDad
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2012, 09:01:06 EDT »

GO VOLS!  

No.  The wins are vacated by Penn State, but the games aren't forfeited.  The teams Penn State beat during those years won't gain a win or lose a loss.  

That's the same way the TSSAA does it with teams found to have played ineligible players.  
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2012, 05:16:32 EDT »

So since that Outback Bowl didn't actually happen, I'm sure those of us who went to that game can expect refunds.  I'll keep checking my mail.  It should get here any day now.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2012, 07:46:33 EDT »

It's funny, a lot of bammer fans seem to get nervous over this PSU punishment.  And interestingly, Saban thinks the penalties should be limited to financial penalties against the institution.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8180229/tax-penn-state-athletics-benefit-kids

I think that what we all should probably be thinking a little bit more about is what do we want to be the outcome of this? Something that's a win-win type thing, for kids in the future, the people that are there now, the players that are there now.

"Maybe they ought to tax all the tickets that they sell on athletics and give the proceeds to some child abuse organization. Or something like that, rather than worrying about some punishment that is really going to have no positive affect on anything."
Everybody's always worried about what's the punishment? "

In other words, if y'all ever catch me at the shizzle I am doing, how bout ya just fine the university of allerbammer and let me keep winning? Please?   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: