VTTW Board Index
May 02, 2024, 07:56:10 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pearl to Auburn per CBS sports  (Read 13111 times)
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2014, 06:59:08 EDT »

I don't know. I am kinda hoping so too...but it may be wishful thinking. He has Atlanta ties, and now, an open checkbook. It is Auburn, you know. Hell the guy who hired him used to be an NCAA compliance guy. Smart.

Tennessee had some tradition and interest in basketball before Pearl arrived.  It was not just the Bernie and Ernie/Devoe years either, Tennessee had some good teams in the 50s and 60s (which I know nothing about lol).   Before Wade Houston put us in a such a deep hole, Tennessee had the second most SEC wins and championships in basketball (though it was close).  I think bammer caught us in the 90s, Arkansas came in as a good program, and maybe even LSU has passed us.

Auburn doesn't have that kind of tradition prior to Pearl arriving.  They had a nice run for awhile with Chuck Person and Barlkey, and that's about it.  Auburn generally has the worse attendence in the SEC for basketball, or one of the worst, and based on personal experience most of their fans could give a shizzle about basketball.

Again, I am not saying they will continue to suck.  They will become competitive and no doubt make the NCAA a few times.  But I don't see them doing as well as Pearl did at UT.   ICBW....we will find out one way or the other.

Let me add that the NCAA will be paying close attention also, former investiagator on staff or no.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2014, 07:00:37 EDT »

As for Pearl, I have what I consider reliable source that was close to the players who says there was a lot more going on than a barbeque and I believe it.  I will not repeat the specific allegations nor the source for obvious reasons, but I am okay with Pearl being fired for this reason....not the BS that was said publically.

Why not repeat the allegations? They are only allegations. This is only a message board.
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2014, 07:05:14 EDT »

Ok, so why was Pearl foolish enough to pose for a picture and trust the recruits to "never tell"?  Maybe everyone cheats, but everyone doesn't get caught.

Blaming Hammy is much the same mindset as everyone who can't stand Craft for selling Pearl out.  We love Pearl so we lay the blame everywhere but at the feet of Pearl which is where most of it belongs.  Again, jmho but if he hadn't done what he did there would be no picture to get out and Hammy wouldn't have any situation to help with. 

This picture, a year later, does not even constitute a violation. Bruce did little piddly shizzle that every damn body in the country did, but he had an AD that refused to help him.

I refuse to be angry at Bruce for the little things that got him in trouble-- even for lying. It's a part of the profession whether anyone likes it or not, but he made the mistake of fessing up and didn't get any help from those around him. I just can't be angry w/ Bruce for this. If you think that's ridiculous, that's fine . . . but if we have an AD worth anything you and I aren't even having this conversation because he prepped Bruce before the NCAA arrived, UT admits a minor infraction, and none of us ever even HEARD about BBQs and photos.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

Creek Walker
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2014, 07:12:18 EDT »

This picture, a year later, does not even constitute a violation. Bruce did little piddly shizzle that every damn body in the country did, but he had an AD that refused to help him.

I refuse to be angry at Bruce for the little things that got him in trouble-- even for lying. It's a part of the profession whether anyone likes it or not, but he made the mistake of fessing up and didn't get any help from those around him. I just can't be angry w/ Bruce for this. If you think that's ridiculous, that's fine . . . but if we have an AD worth anything you and I aren't even having this conversation because he prepped Bruce before the NCAA arrived, UT admits a minor infraction, and none of us ever even HEARD about BBQs and photos.

This is where I stand as well. I don't blame Vinnie, or anyone else, for feeling the way they feel about Pearl. But I just can't bring myself to that point.

If there's a bright side to this: The chances of Tennessee ever re-hiring Pearl as long as Cheek and a few of the smaller players were involved was virtually nil. The chances of Tennessee re-hiring a Bruce Pearl who has re-established himself at another school, while still more unlikely than likely, are somewhat better. I think Pearl will instantly make Auburn a better team, and he'll have them relevant in the SEC before he leaves. But I don't think he'll be at Auburn for long. This is a stopover for him. Then what?
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2014, 07:30:07 EDT »

I told myself I wasn't going to do this . . . that I wasn't going to get mad when Bruce was hired elsewhere. And I'm not the least bit upset with Auburn or with Bruce.

But I am ENRAGED all over again. That whole mess was already a nightmare but now that he's going to be coaching against us on our own floor I'm almost uncontrollably angry at UT for their handling of the situation. This is just a nightmare, and it's all welling back up for me again.

Bruce and UT basketball were a relief and an outlet for me during some tough moments in my life and I guess I clung to that more than most. I feel like a great wound has been reopened today.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2014, 08:21:49 EDT »

I told myself I wasn't going to do this . . . that I wasn't going to get mad when Bruce was hired elsewhere. And I'm not the least bit upset with Auburn or with Bruce.

But I am ENRAGED all over again. That whole mess was already a nightmare but now that he's going to be coaching against us on our own floor I'm almost uncontrollably angry at UT for their handling of the situation. This is just a nightmare, and it's all welling back up for me again.

Bruce and UT basketball were a relief and an outlet for me during some tough moments in my life and I guess I clung to that more than most. I feel like a great wound has been reopened today.

And I can't blame you a bit for feeling the way you do, either.  The Bruceball days were some of the best moments in recent memory as a TN fan, some really happy times and great memories.  It's an emotional situation, for sure.
Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2014, 08:32:12 EDT »

This is just unreal. We have to be the laughing stock of every major school in the country.   
Hollerboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2014, 08:53:00 EDT »

I think Zoe sucks.  He has no personaltiy to be likeable. He doesnt seem to be worth a crap as an in-game coach. Had no history of being a good coach before he got here and I see no evidence that he is one now.  I dont expect us to do much in the NCSST either.  I am pissed off that we are stuck with medocrity yet again.  I just dont understand why we must continue to suffer as a fanbase.  Who can I blame?  Jimmy Cheek!  He is a common thread in most of this.....and Hammy hired Zoe and the Doolster.  My only hope is that Hart is better at hiring than Hammy was....I am tired of being irrelevant. All signs point to Butch turning things around but we are still a long way from being relevant again in football.  Ho hum....I hope Pearl does well at Auburn...hope he wins a MNC.  I hope they beat our brains out every time we play them in the next few years.   Crap....not happy today....

BGHarper
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2014, 10:18:33 EDT »

Pearl will dominate this state in the BB related media for the immediate future. This is bad news for those of us in Crimson. The only silver lining I can fathom is this may make Bama have to anti-up and go after a big time coach if/when Grant is fired, and if he doesn't produce big next season he will be. Can we get one is another question. Many here are disgusted Battle didn't make the move now.

BG
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 10:23:51 EDT by BGHarper » Logged
EmerilVOL
Heisman

Its Tailgating Time in Tennessee (AGAIN)!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2014, 12:32:31 EDT »

Ok, so why was Pearl foolish enough to pose for a picture and trust the recruits to "never tell"?  Maybe everyone cheats, but everyone doesn't get caught.

Blaming Hammy is much the same mindset as everyone who can't stand Craft for selling Pearl out.  We love Pearl so we lay the blame everywhere but at the feet of Pearl which is where most of it belongs.  Again, jmho but if he hadn't done what he did there would be no picture to get out and Hammy wouldn't have any situation to help with. 

I understand Vinnie but lets look at other situations.   Frank Haith was dead to rights (and the NCAA investigation proved it) that he had knowledge that Miami boosters were paying players on his team and he LIED to the NCAA.  Yeah Pearl lied about a picture of him and Craft at his house....but he did not have knowledge that boosters were paying players and did NOT say a word.  Missouri then stood up for Haith and he got a five game suspension.  Now how is that logical or right in any shape form or fashion.  Pearl lied about a freaking BBQ and yes it was not right but Haith lied about boosters paying PLAYERS (which supposedly is numero uno rule not to be broken) and he gets a slap on the wrist.  Why because the AD at Missouri went ot bat for Haith.  Hamilton never went ot bat for any of his coaches he just asked for more freaking money.  You would not believe the appeals I got for more more more money from the AD's office while Hamilton was here.  Now I get thank you notes and more because this group in the AD gets it....you dont ask you thank and then the money will come in because people feel appreciated....Hamilton's reign felt more like Uncle Hammy reaching in my pocket whenever he needed another quarter to make a phone call.....

Yeah BP was at fault for starting the ball going down the hill, but spineless Hamilton was making crap up to get BP fired....and I know this for a fact....the reason Hammy stated in his press conference for firing Pearl was the BUMP 10 days after the press conference and the NCAA officially came out a year later and said "guess what it never happened"  Hamilton was running scared because he had hired that idiot Kiffin and that was going to blow up in his face so he sacrificed BP as well....HAMILTON SPINELESS WORM!!!!!  I know this for a fact due to several lawyers I am friends with have told me that Hamilton was working to force BP out the minute the press conference happened when BP said he lied!!!!

I made this post and I approved it.
EmerilVOL

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2014, 04:05:25 EDT »

I understand Vinnie but lets look at other situations.   Frank Haith was dead to rights (and the NCAA investigation proved it) that he had knowledge that Miami boosters were paying players on his team and he LIED to the NCAA.  Yeah Pearl lied about a picture of him and Craft at his house....but he did not have knowledge that boosters were paying players and did NOT say a word.  Missouri then stood up for Haith and he got a five game suspension.  Now how is that logical or right in any shape form or fashion.  Pearl lied about a freaking BBQ and yes it was not right but Haith lied about boosters paying PLAYERS (which supposedly is numero uno rule not to be broken) and he gets a slap on the wrist.  Why because the AD at Missouri went ot bat for Haith.  Hamilton never went ot bat for any of his coaches he just asked for more freaking money.  You would not believe the appeals I got for more more more money from the AD's office while Hamilton was here.  Now I get thank you notes and more because this group in the AD gets it....you dont ask you thank and then the money will come in because people feel appreciated....Hamilton's reign felt more like Uncle Hammy reaching in my pocket whenever he needed another quarter to make a phone call.....

Yeah BP was at fault for starting the ball going down the hill, but spineless Hamilton was making crap up to get BP fired....and I know this for a fact....the reason Hammy stated in his press conference for firing Pearl was the BUMP 10 days after the press conference and the NCAA officially came out a year later and said "guess what it never happened"  Hamilton was running scared because he had hired that idiot Kiffin and that was going to blow up in his face so he sacrificed BP as well....HAMILTON SPINELESS WORM!!!!!  I know this for a fact due to several lawyers I am friends with have told me that Hamilton was working to force BP out the minute the press conference happened when BP said he lied!!!!

Good post, Emeril.  Thanks for taking the time to post this info.

I still don't think BP was the victim, though.  And like Bandit said, I believe there was more going on and maybe that's why Hammy handled it the way he did.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 02:34:33 EDT by VinnieVOL » Logged
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2014, 03:57:10 EDT »

Why not repeat the allegations? They are only allegations. This is only a message board.

Well the obvious reason is I am not going to go public with dirt on my alma mater.

The other reason is that I have no intention of revealing the source whatsoever. That goes beyond just not wanting anyone to know who it is.  Hint...I may not want anyone to know that *I* know the source.  That's all I will say.  

And let me add...my opinion is that the source is very accurate and credible. You have seen me post for years, so form your own judgement, do I seem like the kind of guy that just takes things at face value? 
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 03:59:23 EDT by BanditVol » Logged

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: