VTTW Board Index
May 07, 2024, 10:44:58 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Run game improvement  (Read 3528 times)
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: September 13, 2012, 05:16:35 EDT »

Our run game is not perfect yet by any means, and there is a long way to go, but here is a bit of a stats comparison to years past.

This year, in two games so far, we have averaged 187 yards/game, which is about twice what we did last year (90/game).  That's fine and I'll take it, but more important, this year in two games we are averaging 4.6 yards per carry, which is a far more important metric.  Granted, it took place against one average and one lousy run D, but for contrast, our only game last year above 4 was Buffalo, and we averaged 4.5.   So in two games this year so far, we are better than our best game last year, and far better than our season average of 2.8, which was the worst since 1964.

Going back to 2010, we averaged only 109 per game, and our season ypc was 3.5.  Even in 2009, with Kiffin stressing the run and Hardesty and Brown taking most of the carries, we only averaged 4.3 ypc, although that was over a full season.

The bottom line is that even though we only have a two game sample so far this season, against average to bad defenses, we are still better than any other time in Dooley's tenure.  

Which means that we should go over 100 yards vs. Florida Saturday.  In 2010 we ran for 29 yards vs the gators and last year, NEGATIVE 23.  

We can't help but do better than that.  I am hoping we break 150, but IMO 130+ is enough to win.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 07:03:01 EDT by BanditVol » Logged

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 06:08:13 EDT »

we don't have to lead the SEC in rushing. If we are even adequate in rushing, which is exactly what we are right now, we can have a great offense. The threat has to be there and opponents have to respect it. They didn't last year.

Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 03:21:13 EDT »

IMHO we don't need to run for 150. We need to be between 75 & 100 though to make them respect the run. It is hard to say how we will play it on offense because I don't think they can run away from us with offense only like has been the case in previous years. Dow we play it closer to the vest and try to limit mistake opportunities or do we keep slinging it around?
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 03:32:29 EDT »

IMHO we don't need to run for 150. We need to be between 75 & 100 though to make them respect the run. It is hard to say how we will play it on offense because I don't think they can run away from us with offense only like has been the case in previous years. Dow we play it closer to the vest and try to limit mistake opportunities or do we keep slinging it around?

Based on what Dooley has been saying, we're gonna sling it.
Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2012, 03:35:30 EDT »

Wouldn't shock me. I suspect we may even break out the Oregon fast break offense on UF to wear them down over the course of the game. Nothing would please me more than to wear them out with that and then gash them in the run game when they are too tired to stop it. 

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2012, 03:48:21 EDT »

Of course. We will sling it all year. Just that to sling it very well, we will need opponents to at least respect our run game. So far based on what we have shown in the run game, we're ok. Much better than last year at this time.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2012, 03:58:29 EDT »

Wouldn't shock me. I suspect we may even break out the Oregon fast break offense on UF to wear them down over the course of the game. Nothing would please me more than to wear them out with that and then gash them in the run game when they are too tired to stop it. 

yup, i expect us to operate at a blistering pace on offense.  They key will be moving the chains.
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2012, 05:00:46 EDT »

Bartholomew has been a huge bonus this year. Going big with Bullard and #39 makes the run game function. It's not great, but it has improved hugely.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2012, 07:33:50 EDT »

Yeah, I have thought all along that we at least need to be adequate this year, and so far we are.  We were almost dead last in the country last year, which is just a joke.  Middle of the pack run game with our passing offense is fine, and that's where we are. 

I just don't think the team can relax and assume we are "there" either though.  They still have a ways to go.

This game will tell us a lot more about the state of our rushing attack.  I feel pretty good about it though.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Ridge Runner
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2012, 08:16:25 EDT »

The big thing to me is being able to run it in obvious run situations (third and short, goal-line, etc.), where the D knows you're more than likely to run. Also making good gains on first down runs (4 or more yards) so that the D can't just load up for the pass on second down. I would love for us to be a power running team that grinds out first downs, keeps the ball for long sustained drives and wears out the other team's D, but we're not. So be it.  But as long as we're at least competent enough running to keep our offense from being one-dimensional, I'll take it. In the end it's all about winning, and if we can do that with our offense as constructed, I'll be happy.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: