VTTW Board Index
May 07, 2024, 10:14:58 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Run/Pass Mix  (Read 4005 times)
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: November 03, 2013, 03:33:03 EST »

I realize we were down big by the end of the second quarter, but the run/pass mix leaves me befuddled. It seems it would behoove us to a) milk the play clock and b) lean somewhat towards the run with a true freshman making his first start.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 03:40:22 EST »

When you're faced with 2nd & 9, 3rd & 7 it kind of screws up our options.
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2013, 03:49:02 EST »

I get that, but the 2nd and 9s seem to end up as 3rd and 9s with improper execution. When not much is working I prefer going simple. This doesn't guarantee success, but it's my philosophy. It should be noted I think Dobbs performed admirably, but he shouldn't have had the game placed on his shoulders, nor those of our iffy WRs.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
Creek Walker
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2013, 03:54:03 EST »

The run game was generating almost nothing. If you run on 2nd & long and get nothing, people are complaining because the coaches are putting Dobbs in impossible situations before letting him throw. It's a no-win situation.

I didn't have a problem with the offensive playcalling tonight. Our offensive woes were largely due to a lot of mistakes by an O-line that has made far too many of them this year (particularly, an All-American tackle who I continue to maintain is the most overrated player in the SEC) and a true freshman QB who is naturally going to make his fair share of mistakes.

I had a much bigger issue with what was happening on the defensive side of the ball, and I still don't have a very good feeling about Jancek.
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2013, 04:02:24 EST »

I get our secondary is inexperienced, but our front seven should not be this bad, even with a dearth of speed. My perception is we don't do a great job minimizing our weaknesses.

As far as offense goes, I agree we didn't have a dynamic running game, but also note we didn't exactly attempt to do so. Corollary to that, if the ground game is abysmal, that's on the coaches. We may not have hyper talented backs, but we have a good line, and let a solid FB (Fugate) walk because we had no place for him on the team.

In short, we have a myriad of issues, but I'm not sure we've helped ourselves strategically or tactically. Kiffin had Hardesty and Berry, but much, much less with which to work cumulatively.

Creek Walker
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2013, 04:08:32 EST »

I disagree wrt Kiffin. That '09 team was more talented than this team, IMO. This team is the least talented team I can ever remember UT having, edging out the '10 team just slightly.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2013, 04:19:47 EST »

I disagree wrt Kiffin. That '09 team was more talented than this team, IMO. This team is the least talented team I can ever remember UT having, edging out the '10 team just slightly.

Agree...and what talent we have is young and very green.

Our OL play is puzzling......not a mean streak in the bunch. As a unit they might be the most over-hyped group in UT history.
Creek Walker
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2013, 04:41:15 EST »

I guess I would revise my last post to say that the combination of talent and experience on this team makes it the worst I can remember. There are some talented guys who are simply lacking the experience they need at this point to be game-changers -- Marquez North, Cam Sutton, Corey Vereen, Josh Dobbs, etc.
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2013, 01:42:05 EST »

I should have clarified my opinion. Our OL and front seven are far better than what Kiffin had. Kiffin had better SS, RB,  and WR help. He also had worse depth IMHO.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2013, 04:11:55 EST »

I realize we were down big by the end of the second quarter, but the run/pass mix leaves me befuddled. It seems it would behoove us to a) milk the play clock and b) lean somewhat towards the run with a true freshman making his first start.
[/quote

I do think we are quick to abandon the run at times...but only a few plays a game.   Should be a bit more patient with it.

The main example from last night was when we ran like 4-5 times in a row and marched down to inside their 20, promptly threw an incompletion and I think that's the drive that resulted in a FG, not sure, but if we had just kept the running momentum going running it's likely a TD IMO.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
TheRealOrange
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2013, 05:21:42 EST »

I should have clarified my opinion. Our OL and front seven are far better than what Kiffin had. Kiffin had better SS, RB,  and WR help. He also had worse depth IMHO.

I disagree.  I think this team has a huge lack of talent and depth (as a team) and Kiffin inherited much better and left much worse.  And, Dooley just made things worse.  I agree that the offensive line has underachieved.  The defense last season was horrible, and how anyone could expect vast improvements without major personnel upgrades is beyond me.  I think our expectations as a fan base were too high based on Jones' personality and coaching style.  But, you still need horses to run a horse race.  He doesn't have them yet.  But, that's just my view, which is based on very little in the way of football knowledge.
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2013, 05:29:59 EST »

I disagree.  I think this team has a huge lack of talent and depth (as a team) and Kiffin inherited much better and left much worse.  And, Dooley just made things worse.  I agree that the offensive line has underachieved.  The defense last season was horrible, and how anyone could expect vast improvements without major personnel upgrades is beyond me.  I think our expectations as a fan base were too high based on Jones' personality and coaching style.  But, you still need horses to run a horse race.  He doesn't have them yet.  But, that's just my view, which is based on very little in the way of football knowledge.

Agreed and similarly lack expertise. We still have a shot at 6 wins.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2013, 06:15:13 EST »

Agreed and similarly lack expertise. We still have a shot at 6 wins.

Zig-zactly!

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: