VTTW Board Index
May 03, 2024, 05:25:41 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone watching "1883"?  (Read 2142 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: January 17, 2022, 01:10:25 EST »

Small sample size of only 5 episodes so far, but right now this is the best show on TV hands down. If it can sustain this level, it will be a contender for the GOAT.

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2022, 01:41:49 EST »

Yes.  Amazing!

When I saw that Faith and Tim would be two of the main characters I thought “ugh this is gonna be cheesy”

But you’re right, I give it top marks so far.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2022, 02:27:36 EST »

Yes.  Amazing!

When I saw that Faith and Tim would be two of the main characters I thought “ugh this is gonna be cheesy”

But you’re right, I give it top marks so far.

I thought the same, but it turns out that Isabel May is the real headliner. Girl's going to be a superstar.

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2022, 02:46:54 EST »

I thought the same, but it turns out that Isabel May is the real headliner. Girl's going to be a superstar.

Without a doubt.  I liked Yellowstone too (though this past season was meh), but once I started 1883, I legit looked forward to it more than Yellowstone or any other show.

I haven't watched tonight's episode yet.
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2022, 04:44:36 EST »

Better than Breaking Bad or Ozark?
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2022, 04:55:26 EST »

Better than Breaking Bad or Ozark?

Can't really compare after only 5 episodes. But it's tracking to be in that discussion.

BTW, final season of Ozark drops Friday. Can't wait.

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2022, 05:06:38 EST »

Can't really compare after only 5 episodes. But it's tracking to be in that discussion.

BTW, final season of Ozark drops Friday. Can't wait.

Apparently it's in two seven episode parts... 
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2022, 05:26:28 EST »

Apparently it's in two seven episode parts... 

Ah crap. I'm guessing the second part won't come out until next year? I hate when they do that. Just call it what it is- another season.

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2022, 05:37:46 EST »

Ah crap. I'm guessing the second part won't come out until next year? I hate when they do that. Just call it what it is- another season.

It's been filmed.....so maybe a short wait?
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2022, 03:23:50 EST »

Agree
VOLMAN
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2022, 05:59:35 EST »

I really liked the free episode but refuse to be sucked in to purchasing yet another channel.....it ain't gonna change my life either way.         
Creek Walker
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2022, 06:40:55 EST »

I really liked the free episode but refuse to be sucked in to purchasing yet another channel.....it ain't gonna change my life either way.         

I thought the same thing. And it's even more irritating because if you purchase Paramount+'s $4.99 monthly plan, you still have ads. But 1883 is really, really good. Tim McGraw and Faith Hill are both surprisingly good actors. I'd rank my favorite serial dramas ever as Dexter and Breaking Bad. I'm pretty sure 1883 is going to wind up being at the top of that list. Taylor Sheridan is a storytelling genius.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2022, 06:53:14 EST »

BTW, they’re making yet another Yellowstone spinoff, this one featuring Jimmy at the ranch in Texas. I don’t have high hopes for that one, but we’ll see.

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2022, 10:18:48 EST »

I thought the same thing. And it's even more irritating because if you purchase Paramount+'s $4.99 monthly plan, you still have ads. But 1883 is really, really good. Tim McGraw and Faith Hill are both surprisingly good actors. I'd rank my favorite serial dramas ever as Dexter and Breaking Bad. I'm pretty sure 1883 is going to wind up being at the top of that list. Taylor Sheridan is a storytelling genius.

I like Dexter a lot. Didn't like the last season, and I am so-so on the Dexter new blood thing. I kinda thought it would happen that way, but I would have liked to see a Dexter/Batista confrontation
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2022, 01:44:41 EST »

I thought the same, but I'm suckered in.  "Mayor of Kingstown" is really good, and it's another Sheridan show btw.  Paramount has all the old Nickelodeon stuff that made me all nostalgic and I've enjoyed reliving some of that with my boys.

Gotta laugh when I think back at how I thought cutting the cord from DirecTV was gonna save me money but I've been persuaded into buying so many if these streaming services that I'm sure I'm not saving any money now.

Each has something I want, and it's so dang convenient having full seasons of great old and new content at the touch your finger, not to mention all the movies.  Just breathtaking to think about the world we live in now.  Any show or movie you can imay, you can be watching it in seconds.
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2022, 05:08:05 EST »

FX is bringing Justified back. It will give all these shows a run for their money. 1883 is a really good series.

volsboyinsodak
Creek Walker
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2022, 08:58:50 EST »

I like Dexter a lot. Didn't like the last season, and I am so-so on the Dexter new blood thing. I kinda thought it would happen that way, but I would have liked to see a Dexter/Batista confrontation

Yeah, I can't really get into the new Dexter series but that's not unexpected. Deb made the original series. Her role as the new Harry in the new series is just...odd.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2022, 11:16:15 EST »

I know I'm in a minority, but I couldn't stand Dexter and found Breaking Bad to be vastly overated.

Having said that, I didn't really watch much of Breaking Bad and may go back and watch a bit of season 1 at some point.

I am stoked to hear that Justified is coming back.  Really like that one.  Timmy Oliphunt made that show, but it had great other characters and a really good plot line. I hope they don't fizzle it up on the return.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2022, 11:45:53 EST »

I know I'm in a minority, but I couldn't stand Dexter and found Breaking Bad to be vastly overated.

what!
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2022, 01:03:51 EST »

I’m watching Justified through again, good stuff.  It’s been long enough that I don’t remember a lot of it so I’m really enjoying it!
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2022, 04:04:26 EST »

what!

I can understand why people like Breaking Bad, even though I didnt get into it. I watched a single show season 1 and I was like...an old dude dealing meth. Meh. Whats the appeal of that?

Having said that I may give it a shot at some point.

As for Dexter, what I always thought about it is that as a "good" serial killer it just gave the producers an excuse to show a lot of gratuitous blood and gore, and give people an excuse to indulge their ridiculous obsession with serial killers and in some cases speculation about what it might be like to be a serial killer.

All of which I find pretty fizzleing stupid.

But thats me, to each their own.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2022, 07:16:05 EST by BanditVol » Logged

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2022, 06:47:22 EST »

I am a big fan of the Dexter series.  The early seasons were better, but what can you do.  It's hard to sustain that kind of mojo and keep things fresh and new.  THat is what Breaking Bad is the king of....it always changed things up and kept on improving all the way to the very end.  You don't see that very often.  As for Dexter, I was OK with the ending of the original series.  I really liked the New Blood series, although not crazy about how it ended.  It was awesome Batista made an appearance as he was probably my favorite character on the show.  'Nut is right, there should have been some kind of Batista-Dex confrontation.

I watched 4 eps of 1883 recently.  I like it, but it seems to be a little too plodding at times.  I do not mind shows that move slowly, as long as they do so in a interesting, soulful way.  Sometimes it is good to take a long look and soak in the scenery, or whatever.  But in 1883 the long slow stretches are a little uninteresting to me.  I am not too taken with the young woman's narrative that seems to dominate the show.  I guess there is supposed to be some poetry in what she is saying, but I just don't quite connect with it.  As for the story, I find it pretty interesting. Over the pandemic, I watched a lot of the old Wagon Train show (MeTV !).  It is great.  I guess 1883 is a little more "realistic" version of Wagon Train, I guess.

Creek Walker
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2022, 07:46:57 EST »

I am a big fan of the Dexter series.  The early seasons were better, but what can you do. 

Hannah McKay didn't come along until Seasons 7 and 8, so I would have to disagree. 
Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2022, 07:47:36 EST »

Hannah McKay didn't come along until Seasons 7 and 8, so I would have to disagree. 

That's a good point.  I loved her in 24.  I guess she was too busy to participate in the New Blood series - so they killed her off.  I think it would have been more interesting if both she and Morgan came calling to the sleepy town of Iron Lake.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2022, 07:52:58 EST by Coupe De VOL » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: