VTTW Board Index
May 02, 2024, 11:08:19 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking Forward Scenarios  (Read 7858 times)
EmerilVOL
Heisman

Its Tailgating Time in Tennessee (AGAIN)!!!

View Profile WWW
« on: December 27, 2011, 05:35:00 EST »

It is December 2012 and the Vols have won Seven and Lost Five including an embarassing 30 point loss to Alabama when it was 6-6 at halftime. 

(1)  Is Dooley on the Chopping Block?

(2)  If Yes to question 1 who would you replace him with?

(3)  Would you hire Chief as the Head Coach?

(4)  How would you make the hire more palatable to a fanbase weary of losing?

I made this post and I approved it.
EmerilVOL

ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2011, 05:41:34 EST »

It is December 2012 and the Vols have won Seven and Lost Five including an embarassing 30 point loss to Alabama when it was 6-6 at halftime. 

1. Yes.
2. In a perfect world, Chris Peteresen... but that isn't happening. From there, my answer would depend on what happens between now and then. I know some will scoff but there are a few NFL coaches currently not working... the three in my mind are Gruden, Cowher, and Jeff Fisher... those are the guys I would call if they don't take NFL jobs this offseason. In the past, we knew those names weren't reasonable but fizzle this shizzle... they are all good coaches and we have the money. If you can't get those, guys to look at might be Mike Gundy, Art Briles, or even Kevin Sumlin who just took the aTm job. The first person to say Gus Malzahn is getting banned.
3. Absolutely not.
4. There is no other way but to hire a big splash coach.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
WoodstockVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2011, 05:42:22 EST »

I say number 1,I'd like the replacement in that case to be Mike London of Virginia or Art Briles of Baylor

Lets go Braves,win the National League East!

LETS GO VOLS,KICK SEC A&& IN 2013!!!
BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2011, 07:26:46 EST »

I think it's obvious that if Tennessee has another season like this past season, Dooley will not survive beyond 2012. I don't know who you hire, but I do know it isn't Chavis. There's a reason he has been a career DC. He simply isn't head coach material.

I am hopeful that Dave Hart will represent a new era of coaching decisions in the UT front office. It is obvious now that Hamilton's MO was to go after the lesser-known guy who he could hire for less money in hopes of hitting a home run. It worked spectacularly with Bruce Pearl (well, it did until...you know), but it didn't with Kiffin, it didn't with Todd Raleigh and it is starting to look like it didn't with Dooley. I'm thinking that UT fans were fooled into buying the "they won't come here" line when the reality is that our administration didn't pursue a marquee hire nearly as hard as it should have.

As much as I absolutely detest Clay Travis, he has a point about Tennessee paying less — as a percentage of its gross revenue — for a football coach than just about any other SEC team. We have the money to go after a big name, so let's go after a big name and cut the crap. For everything that Dooley has done wrong, one thing he will do right if he is indeed going to be canned next season is leave the program in much better shape, talent-wise, than either Fulmer or Kiffin left it.

So I don't know who the guy would be to pursue, and I'm leery about going after any of those NFL retreads because the dynamics are so much different between college ball and the NFL game. But I do know I would be pretty giddy if either Gruden or Cowher came to UT.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2011, 08:07:05 EST »

The first person to say Gus Malzahn is getting banned.

My top candidates:

1.  Malzahn
2.  Fulmer
3.  Spurrier
4.  Lovie Smith
5.  Butch Davis
6.  Rick Neuheisel
7.  Ed Orgeron
8.  Charlie Weiss
9.  Monte Kiffin
10.  Johnny Majors

You're BANNED!
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 10:19:30 EST by PirateVOL » Logged

ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2011, 08:27:11 EST »

My top candidates:

1.  Malzahn
2.  Fulmer
3.  Spurrier
4.  Lovie Smith
5.  Butch Davis
6.  Rick Neuheisel
7.  Ed Orgeron
8.  Charlie Weiss
9.  Monte Kiffin
10.  Johnny Majors

Go ahead.  Ban me.

Ban you? I think I'll just kill you. 

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2011, 09:48:07 EST »

Ban you? I think I'll just kill you. 

Just missing the cut: Barbara Dooley.

Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2011, 09:49:06 EST »

My top candidates:

1.  Malzahn
2.  Fulmer
3.  Spurrier
4.  Lovie Smith
5.  Butch Davis
6.  Rick Neuheisel
7.  Ed Orgeron
8.  Charlie Weiss
9.  Monte Kiffin
10.  Johnny Majors

Go ahead.  Ban me.

How could you forget about Hal Mumme?!?!  

Quasi EVol
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2011, 12:06:21 EST »

Pete Carroll left a college legacy that'll be felt by USC for years to come!
WoodstockVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2011, 12:09:00 EST »

Pete Carroll left a college legacy that'll be felt by USC for years to come!

Lame Kiffin got USC to a 10-2 record this season. USC is going to be pretty tough in 2012

Lets go Braves,win the National League East!

LETS GO VOLS,KICK SEC A&& IN 2013!!!
ChattanoogaVol
All-SEC

Time is best spent with family and friends.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2011, 01:21:27 EST »

1.)  YES
2.)   Cowher, Gruden, Chavis, Petersen.
3.)  YES
4.)  You fix the fan base by PUNCHING YOUR OPPONETS IN THE DAMN MOUTH AND PUNISHING THEM WITH THE RUN

Go Big Orange.
ChattanoogaVol
All-SEC

Time is best spent with family and friends.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2011, 01:23:14 EST »

We should have already dropped the $4 million/yr to do so.  When UT Football wins the University wins the $$ game.

Go Big Orange.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2011, 01:43:28 EST »

1.)  YES
2.)   Cowher, Gruden, Chavis, Petersen.
3.)  YES
4.)  You fix the fan base by PUNCHING YOUR OPPONETS IN THE DAMN MOUTH AND PUNISHING THEM WITH THE RUN

I have NEVER understood the love affair with Gruden.  He DESTROYED Tampa Bay and really wasn't that impressive at Oakland.  And to answer the "but he won a super bowl" statement, he won with Dungy's players and LOST, a LOT with HIS players.

Cowher, yeah I like him.  Peterson would be very difficult to get.  Chavis, yeah as the DC, not as the HC.

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2011, 03:42:40 EST »

I have NEVER understood the love affair with Gruden.  He DESTROYED Tampa Bay and really wasn't that impressive at Oakland.  And to answer the "but he won a super bowl" statement, he won with Dungy's players and LOST, a LOT with HIS players.

Cowher, yeah I like him.  Peterson would be very difficult to get.  Chavis, yeah as the DC, not as the HC.

I don't think Gruden is as good as a lot of people think but also I don't think he is as bad as you think. I think he could be a good recruiter and he is a bright offensive mind. That being said, he is an NFL guy and I don't think he'd ever be a college coach.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2011, 02:21:50 EST »

I think it's obvious that if Tennessee has another season like this past season, Dooley will not survive beyond 2012. I don't know who you hire, but I do know it isn't Chavis. There's a reason he has been a career DC. He simply isn't head coach material.

What I have always heard about Chavis is that he has no desire to be a head coach.  Didn't he get an offer once and turn it down?  I will agree that he doesn't "seem" like HC material, but IMO he could have been one had he chosen.

>>>I am hopeful that Dave Hart will represent a new era of coaching decisions in the UT front office.

Yep

>>>As much as I absolutely detest Clay Travis, he has a point about Tennessee paying less — as a percentage of its >>>gross revenue — for a football coach than just about any other SEC team.

I completely agree that we can and should hire more.  In the case of Kiffin, we did pay more for his staff, so I am not sure that counts.  In the case of Dooley, I am not sure we could have done better on such short notice and I don't think we should have paid him more.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Jedi Master
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2011, 07:20:29 EST »

Here is my outsider's perspective..

1.  Absolutely

2.  Jeff Fisher.  He understands that games are won/lost starting at the LOS.  His teams are always physical.  His NFL coaching connections will help fill out a staff and he can sell his pro resume to recruits.  Fisher also understands the expectations at UT, given his tenure in-state with the Titans.  His mix of age (not too old) and experience meets the profile that UT should be seeking.

3.  No.  His ties to CPF and the fact that his mustang D wasn't beloved by Vol fans would cause his honeymoon to be shorter than others.  UT needs unification, not division amongst its fan base right now.

4.  Ultimately, only winning will satisfy the fans.  But a new HC and staff will give UT fans new hope for the future, and that is what would be needed to satisfy them until the new staff produces some meaningful wins.   

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2011, 08:05:23 EST »

Here is my outsider's perspective..

1.  Absolutely

2.  Jeff Fisher.  He understands that games are won/lost starting at the LOS.  His teams are always physical.  His NFL coaching connections will help fill out a staff and he can sell his pro resume to recruits.  Fisher also understands the expectations at UT, given his tenure in-state with the Titans.  His mix of age (not too old) and experience meets the profile that UT should be seeking.

3.  No.  His ties to CPF and the fact that his mustang D wasn't beloved by Vol fans would cause his honeymoon to be shorter than others.  UT needs unification, not division amongst its fan base right now.

4.  Ultimately, only winning will satisfy the fans.  But a new HC and staff will give UT fans new hope for the future, and that is what would be needed to satisfy them until the new staff produces some meaningful wins.  

I like Fisher and would enthusiastically support his hire.  But that doesn't mean I don't have some reservations.  First of all, as with any NFL lifer, can he (or is he willing to) recruit?  Second, Fisher is all business.  He's not an emotional "rah rah" type of guy.  That's great for the NFL, but I'm not sure how it would work with college kids.  For example, I remember one time when Al Del Greco missed a potential game winning FG.  When asked about it afterwards, Fisher said something to the effect of "We should have made some plays before and not put it all on the kicker, but when it comes down to it, Al is paid very well to make those kicks, and he didn't do it today".  I thought it was a refreshing departure from the typical coach-speak, but would that mindset really translate to the college game?  I don't know, but I wouldn't mind finding out.  Like I said, I like the idea of Fisher in Knoxville.  I would hope he could make a successful transition.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 08:07:19 EST by Black Diamond Vol » Logged

ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2011, 08:58:18 EST »

I like Fisher and would enthusiastically support his hire.  But that doesn't mean I don't have some reservations.  First of all, as with any NFL lifer, can he (or is he willing to) recruit?  Second, Fisher is all business.  He's not an emotional "rah rah" type of guy.  That's great for the NFL, but I'm not sure how it would work with college kids.  For example, I remember one time when Al Del Greco missed a potential game winning FG.  When asked about it afterwards, Fisher said something to the effect of "We should have made some plays before and not put it all on the kicker, but when it comes down to it, Al is paid very well to make those kicks, and he didn't do it today".  I thought it was a refreshing departure from the typical coach-speak, but would that mindset really translate to the college game?  I don't know, but I wouldn't mind finding out.  Like I said, I like the idea of Fisher in Knoxville.  I would hope he could make a successful transition.

I think you're pretty close to being on point... the only place I would quibble a little would be that Jeff could be rah-rah when he needed to be and he was a much looser coach in the locker room and on the practice field than people realized. But otherwise, I have the same concerns that you do. One additional concern that you don't list is that he shares one of Fulmer's faults and that's that he's too loyal... but with the Titans, he wasn't loyal to bad coaches as a general rule... he was too loyal to veteran players.

But, he is a great coach. He never quite got over the hump with the Titans and it ended up getting stale, but he is the type of coach that is going to bring it every damn day with consistency and passion. I think he COULD be a good recruiter... whether he WOULD is a different story.

The only thing is, he's almost assuredly going to end up in either Miami or San Diego (maybe even Dallas) after this season so if we are hiring a coach next year we will be one year too late. He'd be 100X the hire than Kirby Smart would be, especially when Kirby Smart would leave for UGa within 3-5 years.

FWIW I think Jedi had a pretty good take for an outsider.

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2011, 09:58:56 EST »

I think you're pretty close to being on point... the only place I would quibble a little would be that Jeff could be rah-rah when he needed to be and he was a much looser coach in the locker room and on the practice field than people realized. But otherwise, I have the same concerns that you do. One additional concern that you don't list is that he shares one of Fulmer's faults and that's that he's too loyal... but with the Titans, he wasn't loyal to bad coaches as a general rule... he was too loyal to veteran players.

But, he is a great coach. He never quite got over the hump with the Titans and it ended up getting stale, but he is the type of coach that is going to bring it every damn day with consistency and passion. I think he COULD be a good recruiter... whether he WOULD is a different story.

The only thing is, he's almost assuredly going to end up in either Miami or San Diego (maybe even Dallas) after this season so if we are hiring a coach next year we will be one year too late. He'd be 100X the hire than Kirby Smart would be, especially when Kirby Smart would leave for UGa within 3-5 years.

FWIW I think Jedi had a pretty good take for an outsider.

I wouldn't want Smart either.  As great a coach as Saban is, his proteges haven't exactly set the world on fire.

Stogie Vol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2011, 10:02:45 EST »

I wouldn't want Smart either.  As great a coach as Saban is, his proteges haven't exactly set the world on fire.

You apparently don't know how bamboo grows! 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: