VTTW Board Index
May 02, 2024, 09:15:21 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: This is beyond bizarre (hard drive crash recovery story)  (Read 1927 times)
10EC
« on: December 31, 2011, 01:10:41 EST »

So, my hard drive bites the big one.  The "automated" backups somehow did not capture the last 5 months of my work.  Freaking "a little" I go to the PC helpdesk.  They told me to take my original hard drive and throw it in the freezer for an hour. 

Unfreaking real... it is working.  I have had to do it three times, but I have recovered almost all my data....

I guess the cold makes the metal contract or something....   

I am much happier then I was 24 hours ago.   
73Volgrad
All-SEC

This is me on Liberty Island weekend before 9-11

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2011, 04:07:35 EST »

You are lucky. The "Help Desk" where I work would have told me to stick my head in the freezer.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2011, 06:01:59 EST »

So, my hard drive bites the big one.  The "automated" backups somehow did not capture the last 5 months of my work.  Freaking "a little" I go to the PC helpdesk.  They told me to take my original hard drive and throw it in the freezer for an hour. 

Unfreaking real... it is working.  I have had to do it three times, but I have recovered almost all my data....

I guess the cold makes the metal contract or something....   

I am much happier then I was 24 hours ago.   

Anything electronic works better in cold.  I actually tried this with my laptop at work several years ago, when the mother board was starting to bite the dust.  It worked a few times, but they finally had to replace it.

Electrons move through a crystal lattice metal structure.  The hotter the metal, the more energy the electrons have and the more they "bounce around" and collide with things and so resistance goes up.  Thus putting your computer in the freezer lowers the resistance in the circuits and everything flows better.  This is also why server rooms are kept cold.

Just in case you wanted to know.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: