VTTW Board Index
May 03, 2024, 09:12:15 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: J Jennings, based on Debord's statements today  (Read 5263 times)
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« on: August 11, 2015, 03:10:29 EDT »

is going to ball out, and will do it this year

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2015, 03:48:12 EDT »

Is there another team in America that can field as many big, physical, 6'3"+ WRs as we can?  We've got, what, like 6 of them?  And that's not even counting Pig, Pearson, and Josh Smith.  There's no excuse for this group to fail to live up to their potential again.

murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2015, 03:57:03 EDT »

Here's what impressed me about Jennings. The Circle of Life clip I saw showed him being extremely physical. Combine that with his willingness to switch positions, and he seems to possess every quality one could want.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2015, 04:31:29 EDT »

Is there another team in America that can field as many big, physical, 6'3"+ WRs as we can?  We've got, what, like 6 of them?  And that's not even counting Pig, Pearson, and Josh Smith.  There's no excuse for this group to fail to live up to their potential again.

Quite honestly so far every position group has met or exceeded my expectations. The only question mark is the OL, especially due to losing Jackson, but we have some talent there, and I believe they will be a lot better than last year. Pretty pumped for the season.

RockyMtnVol
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2015, 04:45:40 EDT »

A mobile quarterback with a bruising RB and a WR that's both a deep threat and a bubble screen threat can really make an average OL look good...
VOLMAN
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2015, 01:44:31 EDT »

Here's what impressed me about Jennings. The Circle of Life clip I saw showed him being extremely physical. Combine that with his willingness to switch positions, and he seems to possess every quality one could want.

I agree....he appears to be a team player with a heart like Tebow and skills like K. Washington.         
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2015, 03:48:36 EDT »

Quite honestly so far every position group has met or exceeded my expectations. The only question mark is the OL, especially due to losing Jackson, but we have some talent there, and I believe they will be a lot better than last year. Pretty pumped for the season.

Losing Jackson is a big concern. He was one of our better OL returning and it doesn't need to be said how critical that is.

Still, they have to be better right?

And a key stat is that with Worley under center we gave up 29 sacks and with Dobbs only 13 (though 6 of those were against Mizzou).

There were a couple other factors such as the line was no doubt better the second half the season and the opposition DL quality mostly declined (Mizzou being a big exception) but you have to figure Dobbs at least cuts the sack total in half as well as always having the potential to run for 100.

If I am the opposing DC, I key on Dobbs running and force him to pass.  Easier said than done though.   

Debord likely anticipates that and will have some plays to take advantage, but we will see soon enough.  One thing we can agree on...I can't wait either. 

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2015, 04:24:22 EDT »

I'm not sure how good Jackson is, he has never really impressed me, but he does have experience.

Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2015, 04:42:56 EDT »

I'm not sure how good Jackson is, he has never really impressed me, but he does have experience.

That's me too. He's a decent OL and a veteran but he didn't improve as much as I thought he would. We will still definitely miss him though.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2015, 05:38:43 EDT »

Blair is apparently a complete bust.  Too bad, I guess. 

It will give a younger guy a shot, which likely is better in the long run.  In the meantime, even if he's a bust, Blair might be able to help late in the game or at any rate take reps when we have a big lead. 

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2015, 05:58:11 EDT »

Blair is apparently a complete bust.  Too bad, I guess. 

It will give a younger guy a shot, which likely is better in the long run.  In the meantime, even if he's a bust, Blair might be able to help late in the game or at any rate take reps when we have a big lead. 

Reps with a huge lead would be the only chance we see Blair, IMO, and we may not ever see him then. It would be a waste of reps for guys who will develop into good players (like Chance Hall).

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2015, 07:11:05 EDT »

I try not to get over excited. The OL is this teams Achilles heel, if there is one. Plus, Dobbs has to be consistant. If we are as loaded as we think we are, why can't this team have an Oregon type offense? Are we deep enough yet to compete with the Bama's of the world? If the o'line can compete, this team could beat anyone it plays. Crazy, happy to be able to say that again.

volsboyinsodak
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2015, 07:39:01 EDT »

I try not to get over excited. The OL is this teams Achilles heel, if there is one. Plus, Dobbs has to be consistant. If we are as loaded as we think we are, why can't this team have an Oregon type offense? Are we deep enough yet to compete with the Bama's of the world? If the o'line can compete, this team could beat anyone it plays. Crazy, happy to be able to say that again.

The OL will be ok. Not great but ok.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2015, 05:47:24 EDT »

Reps with a huge lead would be the only chance we see Blair, IMO, and we may not ever see him then. It would be a waste of reps for guys who will develop into good players (like Chance Hall).

You may be right.  What I am thinking is that if we get thin, which we already are with the Jackson injury, Blair at least has experience and can provide depth.  Even bad players can provide some relief from time to time in non-critical situations.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: