VTTW Board Index
May 03, 2024, 07:25:30 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The first down "Rocky Top" chant has to go  (Read 3489 times)
Creek Walker
« on: August 16, 2015, 05:22:34 EDT »

Keeping with the tradition he started last year, Butch unveiled a "new tradition" at the open practice tonight. If you weren't there, it was the first down chant that was reported on earlier in the summer. After first downs, the west side of the stadium yells "Rocky," followed by the east side yelling "Top," and then three claps all around.

The "Rocky Top" itself isn't terrible, even if it is a little gimmickish. But the three claps? G-A-Y. It isn't Smokey's Howl bad, but it's pretty close.

I'm sure some like it, though. 
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2015, 03:05:11 EDT »

"Smokey is on the prowl!"

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2015, 10:45:22 EDT »

Agree. I wish Butch would just coach his football team and stop trying to create "new traditions", which is an oxymoron in itself.  UT football fans have been around long before Butch Jones arrive and we will be around long after he is gone.  We know what to do and say during a football game. 

This isn't Cincinnati. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
HawkiVol
Walk-On

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2015, 01:00:13 EDT »

First downs shouldn't be celebrated, just expected. Act like you've been there before. 
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2015, 01:14:44 EDT »

If this is what has to happen to get Butch to drop his "everyone recite the Maxims" kick, then I'll make that trade.

murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2015, 01:15:02 EDT »

Well said Hawki. Also, welcome!

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2015, 01:25:50 EDT »

First downs shouldn't be celebrated, just expected. Act like you've been there before. 
Welcome Hawki!

Many years ago we had a member with a similar name.  Looking forward to many more posts.

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
HawkiVol
Walk-On

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2015, 03:39:36 EDT »

Yep it's me. Needless to say, I've lost all my old contacts and I'm looking forward to renewing friendships.        It was nice to have my head down during the Kiffin and Dooley eras.  You guys must have taken a lot of flack those years.   
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: