VTTW Board Index
May 02, 2024, 01:33:22 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I haven't watched the replay, but I would have to say that our WRs...  (Read 2522 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: October 14, 2018, 05:03:27 EDT »

...probably had the best game of any UT position group in at least two years, right? They seemed to come down with all the 50/50 balls, made huge plays on 3rd down, and fought through a lot of uncalled PI (JJ's TD for example).

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2018, 05:27:19 EDT »

...probably had the best game of any UT position group in at least two years, right? They seemed to come down with all the 50/50 balls, made huge plays on 3rd down, and fought through a lot of uncalled PI (JJ's TD for example).

Outstanding day by WRs.   So much better than under Butch.  WRs perpetually underachieved uinder Butch, probably because he saw the QB primarily as a RB  
« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 11:31:41 EDT by BanditVol » Logged

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Creek Walker
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2018, 05:56:09 EDT »

After 5 years of being MIA under the previous regime, our WRs finally looked the way WRs at the University of Tennessee are supposed to look. That was the best day I can remember by a group of UT receivers in years. As much as I have disliked Helton, keep dialing up those deep balls and giving the wideouts an opportunity to go up and make plays, and we'll stop losing 5-star WRs from our own backyard to Clemson.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2018, 07:23:16 EDT »

After 5 years of being MIA under the previous regime, our WRs finally looked the way WRs at the University of Tennessee are supposed to look. That was the best day I can remember by a group of UT receivers in years. As much as I have disliked Helton, keep dialing up those deep balls and giving the wideouts an opportunity to go up and make plays, and we'll stop losing 5-star WRs from our own backyard to Clemson.

This^.....I can't remember back far enough that our WRs had a day like yesterday....I watch college football from early until after mid night and over the last several years I watch teams WRs go GET THE BALL and just shake my head as to why it's been YEARS since we've seen that out of our WRs on a regular bases.

And that pass play to Chandler down the seam was a beauty.....The staff I was on for years our OC would call that several times a season and we called it the Big House....Get the safeties spread out by formation and have the RB step up as showing he was blocking and then hit the seam splitting the safeties....When our OC called the play and we'd line up he'd look at where the safeties were lined up and he'd say......If we throw and catch it this is a TD. Damn near every time it was a TD or a big gainer. When we ran it yesterday I about fell off the couch I was in such shock.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 07:25:14 EDT by Tnphil » Logged
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2018, 07:31:50 EDT »

For the first time this season, I was actually pleased with Helton's playcalling yesterday. In the moment, I was frustrated that we kept pressing the running game when it was obvious that AU had shut it down. But in hindsight, I think it kept them just honest enough to ease the pressure on JG, and he had a career day.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2018, 11:35:53 EDT »

To his credit, (and just about the only thing to his credit) we had two great WRs in Dooley's last year in Justin Patterson and Cordelle Patterson and a QB who could get them the ball.  I'm still not sure they had as good a game as yesterday in that our WRs yesterday were making some spectacular catches, but they had a number of good days in 2012.

That's about the only good thing I'll ever say about dooley, is that our offense in 2012 was really good.   

But Chaney gets most of the credit for that.  I watched a bit of the Mizzou game yesterday and they seem to be regressing.    

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2018, 12:05:41 EDT »

Mizzou was missing their top 2 WRs yesterday. Both were out hurt.
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2018, 04:46:36 EDT »

Big time performance by the WRs. Calloway, JJ, Palmer, were huge. Even Murphy's catch which was NOT reviewed was a good one (Cannot believe they did not review it, it was a catch)

Cobbvol
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2018, 05:28:55 EDT »

David Johnson may be the most underrated hire of the year. You have to think that some of the in-roads we are having in Memphis are related to him as well.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2018, 06:48:43 EDT »

Hopefully we can make in roads in Knoxville also lol

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: