VTTW Board Index
May 03, 2024, 09:28:50 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: This Dooley quote strikes me as funny  (Read 6742 times)
BigOrange Maniac
« on: November 14, 2011, 06:11:15 EST »

"I still think taking Justin out of his redshirt was the right thing to do, I don't know what would have happened if I didn't."

I do. UT would have gone 1-2 with losses to South Carolina and Arkansas sandwiched around a lackluster win over MTSU. Duh.

(And, ftr, I support removing the redshirt assuming Bray is going to be out Saturday. If Bray is back Saturday, it was probably a wasted redshirt, but the coaches don't enjoy the luxury of foresight...or hindsight, whichever.  )
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 06:19:09 EST »

"I still think taking Justin out of his redshirt was the right thing to do, I don't know what would have happened if I didn't."

I do. UT would have gone 1-2 with losses to South Carolina and Arkansas sandwiched around a lackluster win over MTSU. Duh.

(And, ftr, I support removing the redshirt assuming Bray is going to be out Saturday. If Bray is back Saturday, it was probably a wasted redshirt, but the coaches don't enjoy the luxury of foresight...or hindsight, whichever.  )

I don't think we'll really know whether the 'shirt was "wasted" or not until Worley's senior year rolls around. We have another QB coming in next year, and hopefully another one the year after . . . it could end up not mattering either way.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 06:36:12 EST »

I still support him but I find him less humorous with each bad loss.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2011, 08:19:36 EST »

At some point he's gotta win a ballgame he shouldn't rather than the press conference. It's becoming less and less funny.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2011, 08:29:56 EST »

At some point he's gotta win a ballgame he shouldn't rather than the press conference. It's becoming less and less funny.

Yup

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2011, 08:35:53 EST »

Well said.

If they lose to Vandy or Kentucky, my disgust level is going to be at an all time high and since the season will be over I will turn my attention to 2012 being a "win 9 or get out" type of season for me. We have to push forward. We can only talk about being young and injured for so long before I get tired of hearing it.

If we can beat Vandy and Kentucky and find a way to win a bowl game to get to 7 wins, there won't be quite as much pressure from me for next year... I will just want to improve.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
tnflower
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2011, 10:12:42 EST »

I hate to say it, but Vandy looks to be much better than us. Beating them will be no small feat. 
ChattanoogaVol
All-SEC

Time is best spent with family and friends.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2011, 02:46:35 EST »

Well said.

If they lose to Vandy or Kentucky, my disgust level is going to be at an all time high and since the season will be over I will turn my attention to 2012 being a "win 9 or get out" type of season for me. We have to push forward. We can only talk about being young and injured for so long before I get tired of hearing it.

If we can beat Vandy and Kentucky and find a way to win a bowl game to get to 7 wins, there won't be quite as much pressure from me for next year... I will just want to improve.

Agree 100%...................................I'm tired of the excuses............he is giving the team an excuse or reason to lose (or one why they cannot win which is the same difference and is BULLshizzle....................AT SOME POINT YOU HAVE TO MAN UP AND REFUSE TO LOSE ANY MORE................GOOD coaching and a good scheme, AND AN ASS KICKING MINDSET can greatly offset GAPS AND INEXPERIENCE.
WE HAVE NONE OF THE ABOVE RIGHT NOW...................................

Go Big Orange.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2011, 07:57:42 EST »

I hate to say it, but Vandy looks to be much better than us. Beating them will be no small feat. 

I don't agree at all.  They have won slightly more than they usually do.  I could go on, but I don't fear them.  At all.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2011, 02:09:10 EST »

I will say that Vandy has been more competitive in their losses than we have been, and seem more inspired. 
JBuck
Walk-On

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2011, 02:54:17 EST »

If I take off my orange-colored glasses, I see nothing that points to a Vol victory over Vandy.  As a former Vol said to me on Sunday, "looking at all phases of the game, what are we even good at?" 

I'm not suggesting that this staff can't get it done.  But if you just take one phase of the game - offense - my sense is that they went away from an "establish the run" philosophy when they decided that Tyler and Justin would be the strength of the team.  That philosophical adjustment (remember, last year TP was a 1,000 yard rusher with mostly freshmen up front), was a huge mistake.  Now, with both of these key offensive players hurt, we simply are not a good offensive football team.
Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2011, 03:23:52 EST »

I know Chaney loves to pass. We had a good passing game......but we can't run for crap. If that was a conscious choice to do that as you suggested then I have to ask why would you do that in the SEC?  Not only are we having to endure another season of horrible luck, we apparently are just making it worse instead of better. The only thing we do good now is roll over and take it up the ---.      

This season has left me numb.  I don't blame the coaches for much but they do get some blame for the way we compete if nothing else. Not real down on the players since they are working short handed and are always the younger group. That starts to change next year and so will my expectations. if next year is anything like this year then I don't think Dooley will be able to get it done. We don't have to win the east but we dang well better have a say in who does.   

If I take off my orange-colored glasses, I see nothing that points to a Vol victory over Vandy.  As a former Vol said to me on Sunday, "looking at all phases of the game, what are we even good at?" 

I'm not suggesting that this staff can't get it done.  But if you just take one phase of the game - offense - my sense is that they went away from an "establish the run" philosophy when they decided that Tyler and Justin would be the strength of the team.  That philosophical adjustment (remember, last year TP was a 1,000 yard rusher with mostly freshmen up front), was a huge mistake.  Now, with both of these key offensive players hurt, we simply are not a good offensive football team.

ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2011, 04:05:34 EST »

I think a lot of the running game has to do with Tyler not being as equipped to manage the fronts and run checks as Simms. If you look back at last year's stats, our running game was better before Tyler took over. If you look at the games this year, our running game was best when Simms played. But overall we were better with Tyler because Tyler is a better player.

Where I think this staff failed is in not totally remaking the team into a run oriented team with Simms playing. They tried to continue to run the same offense. Well of course Simms is going to suck trying to run what Tyler runs, because Simms is not close to being a Tyler Bray. But they decided they couldn't run the ball and didn't adjust to what Simms did well, and then panicked when they pulled the 'shirt off of Worley.

The injuries are a huge part of what is happening here, and for that I can't fault the staff for the overall result. I just don't think this staff responded well to the injuries and I think it shows on our football team. I think our coaches have made it known that they don't think they can win with what they have, and I think that's why you see our team fold in the second half of every game. That's why I said yesterday that I agreed with the Alex Anderson blog... Dooley is simply not fireable, but he MUST learn from this season. There are rumors everywhere that he has lost a lot of the team. That happens. Spurrier has lost teams, Fulmer lost teams, Richt has lost teams, Meyer lost his team last year. Saban had a bad year in Bammer his first year. Bruce Pearl lost a couple of teams, Kevin Stallings seems to do it every three years.

The key is how Dooley grows from this year when he looks back and reflects on what has happened.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2011, 07:57:20 EST »

There are rumors everywhere that he has lost a lot of the team. That happens. Spurrier has lost teams, Fulmer lost teams, Richt has lost teams, Meyer lost his team last year. Saban had a bad year in Bammer his first year. Bruce Pearl lost a couple of teams, Kevin Stallings seems to do it every three years.

I think this is spot on.  But the season is not over yet.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2011, 08:00:22 EST »

Not only are we having to endure another season of horrible luck, we apparently are just making it worse instead of better. The only thing we do good now is roll over and take it up the ---.      

Man you are incredibly pessimistic.  The season is not over, the final chapter has not been written.  Saturday vs. the hawgs was a low point, almost a historical low point.  Rarely has UT football been this low.  But the season is not over!

This team, if they want to, can take their own destiny into thier hands, beat Vandy, beat UK and go to a bowl.  And that will be a SUCCESSFUL SEASON, no matter how any individual game went.  It's up to them.  I am not a believer in the "passive sit back and blame the circumstances" school of thought.  People act, make decisions and ultimately determine their own fate.  This team has enough to beat Vandy.

But are they man enough?

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2011, 09:38:17 EST »

I don't think there's any way after watching the season unfold and still believe we're man enough to beat anyone.  I think the more appropriate question is "are they worse than we are?" And Vandy is not.  Cincy was an aberration this year.. That is the only time I saw anything resembling the "dawg" in this team.  Everything just happened to go our way that game, and that's the only reason we did as well as we did.  This season is a wash.  So what if we do get the breaks and luck up and beat Vandy?  Then we go to some toilet bowl and get outcoached and outplayed by some ACC middle of the pack team.

Oh, release the white doves.  Let's celebrate.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2011, 04:09:34 EST »

I don't think there's any way after watching the season unfold and still believe we're man enough to beat anyone.  I think the more appropriate question is "are they worse than we are?" And Vandy is not.  Cincy was an aberration this year.. That is the only time I saw anything resembling the "dawg" in this team.  Everything just happened to go our way that game, and that's the only reason we did as well as we did.  This season is a wash.  So what if we do get the breaks and luck up and beat Vandy?  Then we go to some toilet bowl and get outcoached and outplayed by some ACC middle of the pack team.

Oh, release the white doves.  Let's celebrate.

Better than 5-7 and no bowl, by far.  And I think we win the bowl also.  We will turn the corner this week I think.  Have to. 

Okay...maybe I just hope so.  But far better prospects for next year if we can close it out 3-0.  IMO.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: