VTTW Board Index
May 03, 2024, 04:11:15 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AC-R review...  (Read 7820 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: November 14, 2011, 07:55:31 EST »

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/121/1212370p1.html

ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 08:11:22 EST »

I was hoping for 9.5. I still cant wait.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 08:24:37 EST »

I was hoping for 9.5. I still cant wait.

As a fan of RTS games, his biggest criticism (Den Defense) actually sounds like a great addition to the game to me.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2011, 08:32:18 EST »

As a fan of RTS games, his biggest criticism (Den Defense) actually sounds like a great addition to the game to me.

That's one of those things that I don't know if I will like until I see how it works in the game. I think the reviewers said some of the same stuff about the Borgia Influence missions in AC-B (as a matter of fact I think one reviewer likened it to social media type games like Farmville) but I loved that part of the game because it allowed you to build wealth to buy better armor and weapons quicker. Also I loved the Assassin recruit part of that game.

I've thought ever since I saw the first trailer that the bomb part of the game would be overrated though. As long as they allow hardcore players like me to counter-kill and chain-kill, that's what I'm going to do... air assassinate, ledge assassinate, haystack assassinate, counter-kill, chain-kill.

I'm hyped up about they game mostly because they say that the story is even better and I'm a sucker for the story of Assassin's Creed. I can truly get lost in the game just running around, finding treasures and assassinating guards. I would really love to do the midnight release and stay home from work tomorrow but that's not a good idea at work right now so I will go pick it up tomorrow at lunch.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2011, 08:39:19 EST »

Also I loved the Assassin recruit part of that game.

Yes! I'm glad they seem to have kept it.

I would really love to do the midnight release and stay home from work tomorrow but that's not a good idea at work right now so I will go pick it up tomorrow at lunch.

I didn't realize the release was tonight. I'm excited about the game but now's not a good time for me to miss work either. I'll pick it up sometime this week though.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2011, 08:51:12 EST »

Yes! I'm glad they seem to have kept it.

I didn't realize the release was tonight. I'm excited about the game but now's not a good time for me to miss work either. I'll pick it up sometime this week though.

Yep, midnight release tonight. I went at lunch and finished paying off my preorder... I traded in 6 games and received $52 in credit. Out of pocket I paid just less than $15 for AC-R. 

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2011, 09:14:22 EST »

I hope they expand on the purchasing of landmarks.  In AC:B early on I dropped almost all my money to renovate the Coliseum...  Then I waited.. Nothing cool happened.  And I was broke. :-(
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2011, 09:27:49 EST »

I hope they expand on the purchasing of landmarks.  In AC:B early on I dropped almost all my money to renovate the Coliseum...  Then I waited.. Nothing cool happened.  And I was broke. :-(

Yeah the only thing that happens is that your revenue stream increases. It would be cool to have more significance attached to the big buildings.

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2011, 09:54:13 EST »

It sounds to me a lot like the taking and defending of gang territory in GTA San Andreas.  It sounded like a fun idea, but was actually kind of a pain in the ass in practice.  Your territory would frequently come under attack while in the middle of a mission.  You couldn't just drop what you were doing and go defend it, so you usually just had to suck it up and cut your losses.  Plus, when you were on one end of town, and your turf on the other side came under attack, you had to drop what you were doing and trek all the way back over there.  I hope AC-R implements the concept a little better than that.

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2011, 10:00:19 EST »

One thing I wish would have been fleshed out was the assasin's missions.  I wouldve liked to actually take part in them as side missions.. Where you have to coordinate with team members to achieve the objective.  Maybe sort of like the old Clancy strategy seige games.

One thing I love and I hope to see more of is the races.  Killing dudes is fun, but I get a lot of enjoyment in efficiently getting from point A to point B.  The game does a great job of making the motions and transitions from object to object seem very fluid. 
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2011, 10:22:03 EST »

One thing I wish would have been fleshed out was the assasin's missions.  I wouldve liked to actually take part in them as side missions.. Where you have to coordinate with team members to achieve the objective.  Maybe sort of like the old Clancy strategy seige games.

One thing I love and I hope to see more of is the races.  Killing dudes is fun, but I get a lot of enjoyment in efficiently getting from point A to point B.  The game does a great job of making the motions and transitions from object to object seem very fluid. 

Interesting how different people like different things. I would say that my favorite things overall in the series are the Assassin's Tombs / Templar Arsenals in AC-2 and the Romulus Lairs in AC-B. Races are among my least favorite things about the game. I don't think I have ever done a racing challenge.

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2011, 10:27:33 EST »

Oh yeah, the tombs and lairs are badazz.. I would go so far to say that I enjoy them as much and sometimes more than the main story.  It sort of ties into the races I like, but I enjoy the chase sequences.  Don't get me wrong, I love the fighting.  But it just goes to show the depth of the game, that it offers so much for people to enjoy.  And it gets deeper with every release.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2011, 02:23:53 EST »

Oh yeah, the tombs and lairs are badazz.. I would go so far to say that I enjoy them as much and sometimes more than the main story.  It sort of ties into the races I like, but I enjoy the chase sequences.  Don't get me wrong, I love the fighting.  But it just goes to show the depth of the game, that it offers so much for people to enjoy.  And it gets deeper with every release.

Went to Gamestop at lunch today.  Not to keep dwelling on Skyrim, but I got my first look at the strategy guide while I was over there.  This game is even bigger than I thought.  The guide is 656 pages, and uses a small font throughout.  Looking at the map, there are hundreds (I would guess over 500) of hidden locations that I haven't even discovered yet.  This has to be one of, if not THE biggest game ever.  You could probably play it for a solid year and still not see everything. 

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2011, 02:31:04 EST »

Went to Gamestop at lunch today.  Not to keep dwelling on Skyrim, but I got my first look at the strategy guide while I was over there.  This game is even bigger than I thought.  The guide is 656 pages, and uses a small font throughout.  Looking at the map, there are hundreds (I would guess over 500) of hidden locations that I haven't even discovered yet.  This has to be one of, if not THE biggest game ever.  You could probably play it for a solid year and still not see everything. 

But it's sort of dungeons snd dragons type thing?  Wizards and spells?  I know it is the talk of the PC town, ive just never looked into it.  It's not like Warcraft, is it?
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2011, 03:00:37 EST »

But it's sort of dungeons snd dragons type thing?  Wizards and spells?  I know it is the talk of the PC town, ive just never looked into it.  It's not like Warcraft, is it?

I've never played WoW, so I can't say for sure, but Skyrim is a first person (or third person, you can toggle to either) game.  Yes, there are dungeons and dragons and wizards and such- all that fantasy stuff that I really don't care for either.  But like I said the other day, I'm a sucker for a huge open world.  And this is the biggest I've ever seen in a game.  Seriously, I think it's bigger than GTA SA, RDR, and AC2 combined.

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2011, 03:24:24 EST »

Just saw a commercial forit, looks gorgeous.

Also just saw the Uncharted 3 commercial.

It's good to be a gamer.  :-)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2011, 03:29:06 EST »

Just saw a commercial forit, looks gorgeous.

Also just saw the Uncharted 3 commercial.

It's good to be a gamer.  :-)

After I pick up AC-R tomorrow, I'll think I'll be done until March, when Mass Effect 3 and Bioshock (hopefully) come out.  I'll probably still be playing all these games by next Christmas. 

ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2011, 03:35:36 EST »

If you have ever played any of the elder scrolls series, skyrim is elder scrolls V. I played IV (oblivion) and it was cool but didn't hold my attention.

I think I am going to have to buy a PS3 where I can play uncharted.

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2011, 02:00:24 EST »

Let me say this... I've always owned a playstation and never an xbox, but honestly Uncharted is one of those games you would buy a console for IMHO.  It's literally like playing a very well written and acted adventure movie.  And you saw where IGN gave it a 10.  That and AC are two games my wife will sit and watch me play, even for hours.
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2011, 09:27:52 EST »

I have my hands on my copy of AC-R. Unfortunately I have to work past 5. 

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: