VTTW Board Index
May 05, 2024, 09:46:30 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: They should eliminate the first day of the SEC Tournament...  (Read 4319 times)
droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« on: March 13, 2014, 08:00:48 EDT »

.......and perhaps even the second day. The crowds are sparse, the basketball is not good and it's detrimental to the conference for one of these schlubs to make it to Friday and beat a team that's on the bubble for the NCAA tourney (and might even do well).

Just eliminate the bottom feeders from the tourney and let's move on to the good games.

And yes, my opinion is the same even during the years that UT is one of schlubs. 
Creek Walker
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 08:34:35 EDT »

I disagree. Most of the games leave a lot to be desired, but part of the magic of March Madness is that every single team in America has a mathematical chance once the postseason begins.
Memphisvolunteer
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 08:50:31 EDT »

I disagree completely.  The #3 team got beat today in one of those quarterfinal games and #25 is struggling with a bad Houston team.  Also, crowds are not good because they divide the tickets between all schools so say I have a ticket for the second afternoon game today and don't want to go to the first game, then yes the crowds look awful.  That is exactly what is happening here in Memphis with the AAC game. 
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2014, 09:40:45 EDT »

I disagree. Most of the games leave a lot to be desired, but part of the magic of March Madness is that every single team in America has a mathematical chance once the postseason begins.

This. You can be 0-31 going into your conference tourney and still be in it for a national title. There's something cool about the possibilities (even though the most unlikely scenarios will never play out) and I wouldn't let that go for anything. It's part of what makes this month one of the greatest of the sports calendar despite there being no football.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

dansavol1
Walk-On

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2014, 11:30:30 EDT »

Disagree.  Reminds me of the movie "Hoosiers".  On any given day.....
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2014, 12:45:12 EDT »

I'm in the Bobby Knight camp......wouldn't give a nickel for the conference tourneys. You play 4 1/2 months to seed yourself in the conf. tourney and then play for all the marbles over 4 days. IMO stupid.
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2014, 12:52:12 EDT »

I agree with Tnphill

volsboyinsodak
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2014, 12:57:17 EDT »

South Carolina just improved Tennessee's odds! ;-)
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2014, 12:57:58 EDT »

I agree with Tnphill

bamaboy
droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2014, 01:05:49 EDT »

South Carolina just improved Tennessee's odds! ;-)

Maybe. But I read that UT beating Arkansas would be better for UT than beating South Carolina. Granted, with Arkansas losing it takes out a bubble team, but we will get no boost from beating South Carolina. And if we lose to South Carolina: Lights out.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2014, 01:09:27 EDT »

At the very least, they should stop playing this tourney in football stadiums.  No basketball event short of the Final Four needs to be in a dome.  And frankly, I'm not sure the Final Four does, either.  The shooter's background is weird, the fan experience is terrible, and if UK gets knocked out early (and they probably will) there will be tens of thousands of empty seats being shown to the nation for the Finals on CBS Sunday.  

If they insist on playing the SECT in Atlanta, there are plenty of other options.  Philips Arena, the Gwinnett Center, and even Georgia Tech's new arena would be a better setting than the Georgia Dome.

SmokeyJoe
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2014, 01:22:19 EDT »

Maybe. But I read that UT beating Arkansas would be better for UT than beating South Carolina. Granted, with Arkansas losing it takes out a bubble team, but we will get no boost from beating South Carolina. And if we lose to South Carolina: Lights out.

Good points. If we beat South Carolina, I like our chances against the gators. I'm weird like that ;-)
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2014, 01:23:36 EDT »

At the very least, they should stop playing this tourney in football stadiums.  No basketball event short of the Final Four needs to be in a dome.  And frankly, I'm not sure the Final Four does, either.  The shooter's background is weird, the fan experience is terrible, and if UK gets knocked out early (and they probably will) there will be tens of thousands of empty seats being shown to the nation for the Finals on CBS Sunday. 

If they insist on playing the SECT in Atlanta, there are plenty of other options.  Philips Arena, the Gwinnett Center, and even Georgia Tech's new arena would be a better setting than the Georgia Dome.

Agree. Basketball should generally be played in smaller venues.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2014, 04:05:04 EDT »

I like the "all included format" personally, though I didn't watch any early games.  I don't know if it matters so much who we play, so long as we win.  Or put another way, beating SC can only be a good thing.

Cough cough....I will be in attendance tomorrow.  My first UT Bball game since college.     Meant to make quite a few games over the years, never did.  Me and a bud just decide to go on impulse.  Looking forward to it.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Be-the-Vol
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2014, 12:54:15 EDT »

The early rounds aren"t all bad, that red team got beat again - that is ALWAYS a good thing!   
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: