VTTW Board Index
May 04, 2024, 10:32:26 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone still think Cuonzo's gone?  (Read 5222 times)
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« on: March 17, 2014, 04:20:40 EDT »

I think so. I think Purdue bears watching

Creek Walker
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 04:26:10 EDT »

Not against his will, no. There's absolutely no way UT would fire him now. However, if another school were to make an offer, I think there's a good chance he takes it. He must see the writing on the wall and know that he isn't a long-termer at UT.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 04:26:17 EDT »

He should be fired but we are stuck with him ....this team and talent having to play a playin game is embarrassing.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 04:42:22 EDT »

As I said yesterday, I don't think now is the time to have this discussion.  We're in the tourney, so we're one of the ~20% of D1 teams with a chance to win a NC.  Let's wait until that is over before we start shoveling dirt on Martin's grave. 

I definitely have some strong opinions on the matter, and when the time is right, I'll talk about it.

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 05:02:47 EDT »

Not against his will, no. There's absolutely no way UT would fire him now. However, if another school were to make an offer, I think there's a good chance he takes it. He must see the writing on the wall and know that he isn't a long-termer at UT.

Yeah that is what I mean. I don't think he gets fired this year, but I don't know that Hart gives him a 3 year extension either. If Purdue comes calling, he would take it.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 05:33:18 EDT by Volznut » Logged
Creek Walker
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2014, 05:58:45 EDT »

Here's the biggest issue with Cuonzo right now as I see it: Hart is a numbers guy, and he knows the financial situation the UTAD is in, in no small part due to the coaches' buyouts that are still on the books. Can he justify giving Cuonzo an extension based on what we've seen so far from Cuonzo? OTOH, if Cuonzo doesn't get an extension, he's a lame duck coach and that will bode terribly for recruiting.

Purdue isn't gonna pull the trigger on Painter just yet, unfortunately. He's a career .650 guy who has taken Purdue to 6 NCAA tournaments. The last two years have been tough, but to be fair, he was starting 3 freshmen last season, so he probably gets a pass on that one. If Purdue can't turn it around next year he's gonna be in trouble, but IMO he's safe for now.
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2014, 02:42:53 EDT »

I think much depends on our performance in the tourney at this point. I said I wouldn't be happy with anything less than sweet 16 because of the talent on this team, and that's still where I am. I actually think the bracket lines up pretty well for us to do that.

I don't think Cuonzo has to get to the sweet 16 to keep his job, but I'm not sure losing to Iowa in the play-in is much better than missing the tourney when it comes to his retention. If we lose Wednesday I would not be surprised if he's gone, provided Hart is confident in getting one of his top 3 to replace him. We all know what the roster looks like next year and there's no doubt Hart et al do too.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

EmerilVOL
Heisman

Its Tailgating Time in Tennessee (AGAIN)!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2014, 03:41:39 EDT »

My thoughts on this....

I am a VOL fan no matter what the MARTINISTAS on Volquest want to think.  I am concerned with the direction of the Basketball team long term under Martin.  First of all many say "oh Pearl left the basketball team in a state of disarray" yadda yadda yadda.....And Martin did good to get 18 wins out of that group.  Then they point out he has won 20 games the next two years.  Overall he has won at a 60 percent clip, but long term his Big 10 brand of basketball is not going to get the job done in the SEC as I see it.  I may be wrong (and I will admit it if I am wrong) but his inexplicable loses to Texas A&M, NCSU, and Vanderbilt this year are just the straws in the pack that might break the camel's back since Martin has had these type of loses every year.  For example how many believe that UT should have won the NIT game last year that they lost at HOME by 15 plus points?  

Overall this is a repeating pattern.  If Hart has the balls to say "ok we are not getting better overall" he will pull the trigger.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 03:54:07 EDT by EmerilVOL » Logged

I made this post and I approved it.
EmerilVOL

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2014, 04:53:08 EDT »

We were playing the No. 1 team in the country Sat. with the right to go to the finals......there were very few UT fans in the Dome.

Very telling IMO.
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2014, 05:09:32 EDT »

Double Live Cuonzo isn't going anywhere.  In fact, he'll likely get an extension.  And he is going to get a $50K bonus to boot.

Not saying I agree or disagree with that.  Only what I believe is about to happen.  

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Be-the-Vol
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2014, 05:23:34 EDT »

Double Live Cuonzo isn't going anywhere.  In fact, he'll likely get an extension.  And he is going to get a $50K bonus to boot.

Not saying I agree or disagree with that.  Only what I believe is about to happen. 

Man, I hope you're wrong.   
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2014, 05:25:15 EDT »

We were playing the No. 1 team in the country Sat. with the right to go to the finals......there were very few UT fans in the Dome.

Very telling IMO.

There were very few FANS in the dome, trust me, I was there Thursday.  We had almost as many as Florida  on Thursday, and the two teams played back to back.  Meaning we had almost as many fans as the no. 1 team in the country.

Kentucky fans were another matter, but I suspect there might have been less of them than in the past....I have nothing to compare that to.  But yeah, during the Florida and Tennessee games on Thursday, the majority of fans were UK.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: