VTTW Board Index
May 18, 2024, 07:09:01 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NV but number of SEC teams in NCAA BB  (Read 1721 times)
73Volgrad
All-SEC

This is me on Liberty Island weekend before 9-11

View Profile
« on: March 17, 2016, 05:50:26 EDT »

I thought the reason men's BB broke up divisions was because the coaches claimed playing each other so much was the reason more SEC teams were passed over. I contend the reason SEC teams are not invited is the majority of coaches are so bad they cannot beat even mid-major or lower level DIV. 1 teams. SEC team schedules are pathetic and the records are even worse. Combine that with the east coast and mid-west bias toward the "power conferences", you have few teams invited. Vandy gets invited and forgets to play for 10 minutes in the game so the talking heads can justify their bias.

Regardless the judgment of bad teams in the SEC is justified because bad coaches coaching horrible talent = a very weak league. If Barnes can get any talent at all to come to UT, the Vols have a good chance to be one of the SEC premier teams because other than Kentucky and TA&M on occasion, is there really any coach that can attract good talent and actually make them better? Without Donovan, Florida is sliding back. Can Pearl get any talent at Auburn that is not kicked out of school for one reason or the other? How can Jones at LSU even keep a job. I repeat that bad coaches coaching horrible talent = a very weak league.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2016, 06:25:30 EDT »

With the resources UT has and the fan support (year in and out in the top 5-8) in attendance...there is no reason we aren't in the top 4-5 in the SEC most years and in the dance 3 out of every 5 year. IMO, no excuse.

The SEC has upgraded in coaches the past 2-3 years.....Barnes at UT, Martin at USC, Fox at UGA, Pearl at Auburn, Howland at MSU...then you have A&M and KY. I think the coach at Bama is a good one and has/will improve them a lot. Recruiting has to improve across the board in the SEC....some of those issues are like this year...14 teams in the SEC and we only get 3 teams in and Vandy is in a play-in game and gets beat 20 by a mid-major. Recruits look at this and see only 3 out of 14 get in and say I'm going to a different conference where I have a better chance at the dance.

SEC has to play better and schedule better non-conference games and win the fair share of those games. USC won 24 games and got left out because of the sorry OOC schedule. Barnes is improving our OOC schedule. Yesterday we signed on to play UNC there next year and then they come to Knoxville in 2017.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: