VTTW Board Index
May 14, 2024, 11:40:28 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Here is an interesting tidbit. Dormady's debut was the best by a Vol QB ever.  (Read 3751 times)
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: September 06, 2017, 05:53:37 EDT »

Just didn't seem that awe inspiring. First half anyway. Second half he was pretty dang good.

volsboyinsodak
Creek Walker
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2017, 07:24:38 EDT »

Dormady was very shaky early. As the game went along he settled down and played well enough. I know some disagree but I thought he did as well as could be expected. Yes, he threw off his back foot too much, yes he threw into coverage a couple of times, yes he missed his receivers a few times. But he led a 93-yard touchdown drive in the waning minutes to force overtime. I was happy with his performance.
LouisVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2017, 07:33:59 EDT »

Plus, I liked his second half demeanor on and off the field.  I saw a little "steely eyed missile man" in his look.  I think he may be a leader.

Dormady was very shaky early. As the game went along he settled down and played well enough. I know some disagree but I thought he did as well as could be expected. Yes, he threw off his back foot too much, yes he threw into coverage a couple of times, yes he missed his receivers a few times. But he led a 93-yard touchdown drive in the waning minutes to force overtime. I was happy with his performance.

My pronouns are:  I, Me, My, and Mine
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2017, 09:47:26 EDT »

On a different note, I saw some tweets that said Gitmo was acting like a spoiled brat on the sidelines. Looked like he was pouting, not encouraging teammates, setting by himself on the bench. He's not pissed he's not the starter is he? I haven't watched the replay of the game and didn't notice it during the game. I will have to check it out again. Did any of you pick up that vibe?

volsboyinsodak
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2017, 10:10:05 EDT »

Agree that Dormady settled down nicely, and don't think his early game jitters are at all surprising.  Should almost be expected. 

I think the talk about Gitmo acting spoiled was (a) encouraged by the asshat announcers, who could not stop talking about where Git and Dormady were sitting  , and (b) greatly overstated.  Maybe he did pout a bit.  Who cares?  Just means he's competitive and doesn't like sitting out. He is young and I am sure will not always act that way, and even if he does, still don't care.

Now, if the alleged/perceived behavior is part of a me-first Hurd type attitude, then it will be a problem that returns and festers  However there is no evidence of that.

It's the first game he had a chance to be a starter...I just don't care.  And let me add for reference that I played poker with some bammer fans last night and one of them was making a BFD about it also.  Just sayin'

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2017, 01:16:57 EDT »

I am inclined to believe he is a competitor and does not like sitting. That is the quality you need in a QB/leader. I expect to see him starting a lot of games before he is done at UT. Maybe this season even.

volsboyinsodak
Creek Walker
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2017, 01:38:17 EDT »

If the prevailing rumor of the day is true, Guarantano won't be starting any games at UT because he won't be at UT. I hope it isn't true because I think this kid is our future.

I, for one, couldn't care less if he pouted a little bit on the sideline. I think the bigger issue is how Butch Jones manages the situation, as John Adams alluded to in a column today. If there's distraction in the locker room and it's because Butch has mismanaged this, then that's an issue. The last thing this Tennessee team needs right now is distraction off the field. As Adams wrote, there's a fine line between telling someone to be ready to play and leading someone to believe they're going to play when in reality you have no intention of playing them. Butch obviously made the right call to leave Dormady in the game, but if he isn't handling this situation correctly, it's going to blow up on him. Is it a minor thing? Maybe...but we had a minor thing like this last year that detracted from the entire season. Little things add up to big things. Plus, if it is true that Guarantano is considering his transfer options...well, that's no minor thing imo. Regardless of how good Dormady proves to be this season, he's gone after next year and we didn't go after a replacement in the '18 class.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2017, 02:00:22 EDT »

JMO.....but Adams....me and posters on UT boards has zero idea what's gone on with the QB situation. A players parent told me 3 weeks ago that unless something changed QD was the starting QB.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2017, 02:05:27 EDT »

If the prevailing rumor of the day is true, Guarantano won't be starting any games at UT because he won't be at UT. I hope it isn't true because I think this kid is our future.

I, for one, couldn't care less if he pouted a little bit on the sideline. I think the bigger issue is how Butch Jones manages the situation, as John Adams alluded to in a column today. If there's distraction in the locker room and it's because Butch has mismanaged this, then that's an issue. The last thing this Tennessee team needs right now is distraction off the field. As Adams wrote, there's a fine line between telling someone to be ready to play and leading someone to believe they're going to play when in reality you have no intention of playing them. Butch obviously made the right call to leave Dormady in the game, but if he isn't handling this situation correctly, it's going to blow up on him. Is it a minor thing? Maybe...but we had a minor thing like this last year that detracted from the entire season. Little things add up to big things. Plus, if it is true that Guarantano is considering his transfer options...well, that's no minor thing imo. Regardless of how good Dormady proves to be this season, he's gone after next year and we didn't go after a replacement in the '18 class.

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/218550/adrian-martinez

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2017, 02:24:34 EDT »

Hm.  Butch is usually in full blown BS sales mode, so maybe Git had the wrong idea.  Could be a factor.  If so, Butch hopefully learned from his Hurd experience and can handle it.  I will worry about it when it's more than John Adams and rumors though.

As for QBs, we did take Will McBride this year, and speculation is that he is someone with a pulse who can step in if either Git or Dormady gets mad and quits midseason and then the starter is injured.  So it's not like the coaches haven't been thinking about it, if the speculation is accurate. 

Will McBride is considered a potential diamond in the rough, compared favorably to Brees, who was not that highly rated either.  Not that I am counting on Will McBride but he is better than converting Juan Jenkins back, maybe.  Oh wait!  Can't even do that now.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: