VTTW Board Index
May 16, 2024, 06:09:05 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The WinePost©  (Read 2038 times)
droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« on: July 01, 2012, 12:00:03 EDT »

The WinePost©

"I drink it when I'm happy and when I'm sad. Sometimes, I drink it when I'm alone. When I have company I consider it obligatory. I trifle with it if I'm not hungry and drink it if I am; Otherwise I never touch it - unless I'm thirsty."

- Madame Bollinger, one of the "grande dames" of French champagne (1884-1977)

Bernard Brémont Champagne Grand Cru, Millésime 2000 (2000)($38.00)

It was 104 degrees again here today. The heat index was over 112. It's just too hot to drink a big red wine. A nice dry Rosé would be suitable. Or maybe something white, with bubbles. And it just so happens I have a bottle of Champagne on hand that was given to me for my birthday.

This is real Champagne, made in the Champagne region of France using the méthode champenoise which is secondary fermentation in the bottle. All Champagnes are sparkling wines but not all sparkling wines are Champagne. Generally, the use of the name "Champagne" for wines not made in that French region is prohibited by law. Just because a wine is called "sparkling wine" does not refer to its quality. There are many delicious sparkling wines from around world.

Tonight's selection is an excellent Champagne. It is a Grand Cru, meaning that the vineyard that it comes from has been designated one of the best in that particular wine growing region. Also, it is a vintage Champagne, which tells you that all of the grapes used were grown and harvested in the same year. A blend of Pinot Noir (55%) and Chardonnay (45%), this wine has excellent fruit with flavors of apple and spice. And while it is bright and bubbly, it's not all fizz and little substance. A quality sparkler, especially Champagne, is the perfect refreshment for a really hot afternoon. 

Wine Fact: Champagne or other sparkling wines should be served in Champagne flutes which are tall and narrow rimmed. The coupe, a shallow, broad rimmed glass commonly seen at weddings and in old movies allows the carbonation (the bubbles) to dissipate more quickly, causing the wine to go flat.

Enjoy!

art by artzcatz

101stDad
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 02:49:21 EDT »

Mrs. 101st and I enjoyed a bottle of Biltmore® Zinfandel Blanc de Noir for dinner ( http://shop.biltmore.com/browse.cfm/4,26.html ).  While sometimes called "Koolaid wine", this particular Zinfandel wine went great with our barbecued chicken and corn on the cob prepared on the grill.  One of the things that Mrs. 101st have tired to do is to sample the wines from wineries in the region, and we have found Biltmore to be one of the better wineries in the southeastern United States.  The suggested retail prices is a very reasonable $9.99, and I found it on sale at Pop's Wine and Liquor in beautiful suburban Powell, TN, for a mere $8.49.  We found this selection to be a lot of bang for the buck and very enjoyable.

Mr. Droner, sir - I realize that this is not considered a fine wine by your standards, but it gets a solid 3 1/2 thumbs up (out of a possible 5) from my beautiful bride of almost 30 years and myself.   
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 05:09:55 EDT »

My wife and I went out to Morton's for our anniversary tonight (16 years yesterday). With dinner I had one glass of Bearboat Pinot Noir. We just arrived home from the movie and I have commenced on a bottle of 2009 667 Pinot Noir from Noble Vines. She is drinking Hogue Late Harvest Riesling. $12.99 and $9.99 respectively.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 03:44:31 EDT »

Mrs. 101st and I enjoyed a bottle of Biltmore® Zinfandel Blanc de Noir for dinner ( http://shop.biltmore.com/browse.cfm/4,26.html ).  While sometimes called "Koolaid wine", this particular Zinfandel wine went great with our barbecued chicken and corn on the cob prepared on the grill.  One of the things that Mrs. 101st have tired to do is to sample the wines from wineries in the region, and we have found Biltmore to be one of the better wineries in the southeastern United States.  The suggested retail prices is a very reasonable $9.99, and I found it on sale at Pop's Wine and Liquor in beautiful suburban Powell, TN, for a mere $8.49.  We found this selection to be a lot of bang for the buck and very enjoyable.

Mr. Droner, sir - I realize that this is not considered a fine wine by your standards, but it gets a solid 3 1/2 thumbs up (out of a possible 5) from my beautiful bride of almost 30 years and myself.   

I found several Biltmore wines that I like, particularly the whites. If you haven't been, you should go to the winery and tasting bar.
101stDad
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 09:57:52 EDT »

I found several Biltmore wines that I like, particularly the whites. If you haven't been, you should go to the winery and tasting bar.

We already have that on our "to do" list for the fall. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: