VTTW Board Index
May 06, 2024, 05:48:08 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Do any of you guys have a Windows Phone (I know that's a longshot)  (Read 10708 times)
VOLveeta
« on: May 06, 2014, 11:45:33 EDT »

Well, I do.  I got the 8.1 update (developer beta) and it is freaking GENIUS!!!  Anyone?
droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2014, 02:09:26 EDT »

I have a Nokia flip phone that I've had for about 10 years. No texts, no twit.

Not what you were looking for, eh? 
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2014, 02:19:35 EDT »

Well, I do.  I got the 8.1 update (developer beta) and it is freaking GENIUS!!!  Anyone?
ANYTHING that has 8.1 flat out SUXES IMPNSHO.   

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2014, 03:11:49 EDT »

I'm due an upgrade in a couple months, so I'm starting to look around.

Frankly, I'm getting sick of the trend of smartphones getting bigger and bigger.  These 5"+ monsters may be great for women, who can just throw them in their purse.  But when you keep your phone in your pocket, it's a real pain.  If I need a bigger screen to watch video or play games, that's what tablets are for.  I don't need that on my phone. I wish someone would make a 3.5-4" phone with premium specs.  The iPhone 5s was the only phone that fit that description, but they've been surpassed by the latest Androids (HTC One M8, Galaxy S5), which have faster processors, better cameras, etc.  And it's sounding like the iPhone 6 may be following the big screen trend, if the rumors are true.  Which means that I'm out of luck.  I can either get a small screen phone with substandard components, or a superphone that won't fit in my pocket.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 03:13:25 EDT by Black Diamond Vol » Logged

Salvador VOLi
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2014, 03:14:16 EDT »

BDV, I have a 5.2 inch LG G2 and it fits in my pockets fine.  I think you may need to start looking at those skinny jeans you are wearing as the culprit.   
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2014, 03:27:35 EDT »

BDV, I have a 5.2 inch LG G2 and it fits in my pockets fine.  I think you may need to start looking at those skinny jeans you are wearing as the culprit.   

If you'd met me, you'd know that skinny jeans aren't exactly an option.

My current phone (Galaxy S3) is the first really big phone I've owned, and while it will fit in my pocket, it's not exactly comfortable in there.  And the latest phones are even bigger.  I do keep it in an Otterbox, which adds to the bulk.  I suppose I could take that off, but if the phone gets scratched up, it will hurt the resale value.  Believe it or not, I can still get $150 or more for this phone, as long as it's in perfect condition.

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2014, 03:34:53 EDT »

My current phone (Galaxy S3) is the first really big phone I've owned, and while it will fit in my pocket, it's not exactly comfortable in there.  And the latest phones are even bigger.  I do keep it in an Otterbox, which adds to the bulk.  I suppose I could take that off, but if the phone gets scratched up, it will hurt the resale value.  Believe it or not, I can still get $150 or more for this phone, as long as it's in perfect condition.
I think the smaller of the two new iphones will still fit your requirements.  It will be a bit smaller and a lot thinner than the G5.  Processor wise I think it will be on par with the droids.  Camera, probably still not as good but frankly I'm not looking for a SLR equivalent camera in my phone.

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

Salvador VOLi
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2014, 03:44:57 EDT »

I do know what you mean.  I wanted to get my wife a good (good specs) Android phone, but coming from the 4s she didn't want anything very large.  That simply is not an option with an Android phone.  Go big or go home in Android's world apparently because she had to get a +5 inch phone to get something with good specs.

I used to have an Otterbox on my Galaxy Nexus, but I couldn't take it and ended up putting a slim case on my G2.  I just couldn't take the bulk any more.  I completely understand what you are saying about resale though. 
UT Mom
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2014, 12:17:45 EDT »

Drones I'm with you, flip phone, no text it can callout and receive.  Isn't that what phones are for?   

VOLveeta
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2014, 01:17:42 EDT »

ANYTHING that has 8.1 flat out SUXES IMPNSHO.   

YOU HUSH!!!  I love it.  :-)  Seriously, have 8.1 on my laptop that flips to a tablet (Dell XPS 12) and Nokia Lumia 928.  I come from Apple laptop and the GOD AWFUL Samsung Charge.  To date, they're my favorite I've ever had.  The Mac was a great machine, tremendously reliable.  Lasted almost seven years for me.  But I prefer Windows filing system quite a bit.

But anyway, clearly I am in the minority, but Microsoft has lured me back pretty enthusiastically.  And, of course, Xbox 360 is our console.  :-)  My ONLY complaint would be the trackpad on the laptop.  It does have some issues.
VOLveeta
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2014, 02:01:37 EDT »

BTW, one of the Cortana features that I really love (she's cool, btw), and it may not be a unique feature in the world of smartphones, but it's new to me.  If I get a text:

Cortana:  You got a text from Joe Mama.  Wanna read or ignore?
Scott:  Read
Cortana:  Scott, I have your million dollars.
Cortana:  Want to respond or ignore?
Scott:  Respond
Cortana:  What do you want to say?
Scott:  Just leave it on the back porch.
Cortana:  Okay, you said, "Just leave it on the back porch".  Want to send, add more or start over?
Scott:  Send
Cortana:  Okay, I sent it.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2014, 02:12:49 EDT »

YOU HUSH!!!  I love it.  :-)  Seriously, have 8.1 on my laptop that flips to a tablet (Dell XPS 12) and Nokia Lumia 928.  I come from Apple laptop and the GOD AWFUL Samsung Charge.  To date, they're my favorite I've ever had.  The Mac was a great machine, tremendously reliable.  Lasted almost seven years for me.  But I prefer Windows filing system quite a bit.

But anyway, clearly I am in the minority, but Microsoft has lured me back pretty enthusiastically.  And, of course, Xbox 360 is our console.  :-)  My ONLY complaint would be the trackpad on the laptop.  It does have some issues.
I HAD 8.1 on my home machine.  Aside from it being essentially the most unstable platform I have ever had the misfortune to use it was unsuitable, period, dot for a desktop machine.  Hell, EVERY Microsoft knowledge article started "swipe ...."  How the hell do you swipe with a mouse?!?
 It freaking crashed at least once a week.  Finally I awoke one Saturday morning to a machine constantly rebooting because 8.1 was unable to boot and would not allow me, as an administrator, to do anything, let alone fix it.  After several hours the assembled crack support team at Microsoft said I need to to do a clean install (wipe my hard drive) and reload 8.1.  I noted that since I had to destroy my computer to reload the operating system I would go back to Win 7.  The microsoft super said no, you can reload 8.1  I said no, if I'm going to wipe my system I was going bact to an operating system that worked and since I couldn't load a MAC OS I would load 7.  The conversation ended quickly after that.

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

VOLveeta
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2014, 03:40:42 EDT »

That sucks, Pirate.  Sorry you had such a bad experience.  I swype with the wheel on my mouse... but yeah, the touch screen is where it's at.  The 8.1 version launches direct to desktop so those who don't have an interest in metro can completely avoid it now.

I guess I'm just weird, I like the aesthetics of the new MS products, and trust me, I have ZERO loyalty to any of these big companies.  I left Windows because of virus vulnerability and how that slowed my important photo editing machine down.  But, I just grew up with Windows and the system is SO much more comfy for me.  Apple and Samsung make awesome products so the good news is, competition is making for incredible technological strides.  I just hope they won't ditch the tiles and stuff, I'm really enjoying it.  The next thing is the store needs to get better, they do have a ways to go.  But fortunately for me, I'm not huge on apps.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2014, 05:30:35 EDT »

I'm due an upgrade in a couple months, so I'm starting to look around.

Frankly, I'm getting sick of the trend of smartphones getting bigger and bigger.  These 5"+ monsters may be great for women, who can just throw them in their purse.  But when you keep your phone in your pocket, it's a real pain.  If I need a bigger screen to watch video or play games, that's what tablets are for.  I don't need that on my phone. I wish someone would make a 3.5-4" phone with premium specs.  The iPhone 5s was the only phone that fit that description, but they've been surpassed by the latest Androids (HTC One M8, Galaxy S5), which have faster processors, better cameras, etc.  And it's sounding like the iPhone 6 may be following the big screen trend, if the rumors are true.  Which means that I'm out of luck.  I can either get a small screen phone with substandard components, or a superphone that won't fit in my pocket.

Between the HTC One M8 and the Galaxy S5, which do you prefer?  It's about time for a new phone for me.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2014, 05:36:52 EDT »

Well, I do.  I got the 8.1 update (developer beta) and it is freaking GENIUS!!!  Anyone?

Well, I haven't got any direct experience with Windows phones, but I noticed that the song they play in the background while adverting the Windows phone is "Brave" by Sarah Brandeis.  The chorus that plays in the background is "Honestly, I  wanna see you be BRA---AAA----VVE!"

Like, you have to be "brave" to buy a windows phone.  Which makes me think it suxes.  

It reminds me of their Bing campaign....yes, we suck compared to Google, but that way you don't get distracted as much.   I mean, come ON.   Bing SUXES!!!!    

Actually Ms. Brandeis sounds like she is actually saying "BREV".   I guess her pronunciation just suxes.  Which leads one to wonder if that's not actually a new word:

Brev (briv) - adj.  Having or pertaining to the quality of suckiness found in Microsoft Windows products.  "My new windows phone is very brev."
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 05:47:12 EDT by BanditVol » Logged

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2014, 05:36:57 EDT »

That sucks, Pirate.  Sorry you had such a bad experience.  I swype with the wheel on my mouse... but yeah, the touch screen is where it's at.  The 8.1 version launches direct to desktop so those who don't have an interest in metro can completely avoid it now.

I guess I'm just weird, I like the aesthetics of the new MS products, and trust me, I have ZERO loyalty to any of these big companies.  I left Windows because of virus vulnerability and how that slowed my important photo editing machine down.  But, I just grew up with Windows and the system is SO much more comfy for me.  Apple and Samsung make awesome products so the good news is, competition is making for incredible technological strides.  I just hope they won't ditch the tiles and stuff, I'm really enjoying it.  The next thing is the store needs to get better, they do have a ways to go.  But fortunately for me, I'm not huge on apps.
I still get to use XP on our test stations at work (all our test software is dependent on the use of XP) and it such joy to go in under the hood and make the OS perform as opposed to having to work around the OS.

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2014, 05:50:20 EDT »

I still get to use XP on our test stations at work (all our test software is dependent on the use of XP) and it such joy to go in under the hood and make the OS perform as opposed to having to work around the OS.

Well that will probably end...XP support just ended.

Which ALSO suxes.   

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2014, 05:59:19 EDT »

Well that will probably end...XP support just ended.

Which ALSO suxes.   
We are paying out $$ to keep the support.  Support for XP did not end, just reasonable cost support ended.  It will take some time to adapt the prgrams to Win 7 (latest IT has approved).  We have to change a LOT to work with later versions.  And since we use these stations to sell things off to our favorite uncle you can imagine the oversight we will have to ensure we test properly ...

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2014, 06:02:47 EDT »

Between the HTC One M8 and the Galaxy S5, which do you prefer?  It's about time for a new phone for me.

I like the M8, mostly because HTC's Android interface is simpler and has less bloatware than Samsung's.  It doesn't have a lot of the extraneous stuff that I would never use (like a heart rate monitor), but it does have a nice, bright display, and best speakers out there on a phone.  And let's face it- that's one sexy piece of hardware.  Style-wise, I think it even beats Apple.  

EmerilVOL
Heisman

Its Tailgating Time in Tennessee (AGAIN)!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2014, 12:16:27 EDT »

I have the LG G2 and I frankly love it....it is the only one on the market that will answer just by holding it to your face....you dont have to swipe or swype to answer the phone calls.  Second you can tap the phone and it turns on....no more of this looking for the on button while driving

THe battery life is impressive 18 hours and it is nice and thin and a cool phone.....and the camera is 13 MP....

I made this post and I approved it.
EmerilVOL

Salvador VOLi
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2014, 12:45:52 EDT »

I have the LG G2 and I frankly love it....it is the only one on the market that will answer just by holding it to your face....you dont have to swipe or swype to answer the phone calls.  Second you can tap the phone and it turns on....no more of this looking for the on button while driving

THe battery life is impressive 18 hours and it is nice and thin and a cool phone.....and the camera is 13 MP....

I have the same phone and I can't +1 this post enough.
VOLveeta
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2014, 11:58:50 EDT »

Yeah... well... you're all wrong.  Buncha thread hijackers!   
Creek Walker
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2014, 11:38:20 EDT »

This thread hasn't truly been hijacked until the Apple fanclub chimes in.

EmerilVOL
Heisman

Its Tailgating Time in Tennessee (AGAIN)!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2014, 01:02:07 EDT »

Yeah... well... you're all wrong.  Buncha thread hijackers!   

If we wanted to hijack your thread we would turn it into a Camera Thread....

I made this post and I approved it.
EmerilVOL

73Volgrad
All-SEC

This is me on Liberty Island weekend before 9-11

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2014, 05:16:07 EDT »

OK I will chime in. I do not have an Android or Windows phone. I have an iPhone. I do not want or need a giant screen to watch TV or movies on.  That is why I have a TV.  I have no trouble seeing the iPhone screen for texts or web searches. The camera is fine because I do not use it for photos when I have a Canon for that. I have AT&T service and it does not drop out, lose the signal, or have bad sound during calls. I have an IPad if I am desperate to watch movies away from home. I have a Kindle Fire HD for books when on vacation.

I also do not care how pretty the phone is. Does it receive and make calls?  Can I hear the other person? Anything other than that is vanity IMO.

I think the 4" screen on my phone is as big as it needs to be. Why pray tell do you need a 5" or more screen anyway?  You use a phone to talk on. You use a computer or laptop or tablet to search on-line. Movies were never meant to be watched on a phone. That is why I have a 54" TV.

As for Windows 8.1, I have never experienced any stability problems with it. Never had problems with Win 8.0.  But except for my laptop that came pre-loaded, I have clean loaded on computers I assembled from components I bought. I do not load or uninstall any bloat software as I need to.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: