VTTW Board Index
May 07, 2024, 03:14:55 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Well, I got sick of waiting around for Apple...  (Read 6503 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: August 16, 2014, 03:48:28 EDT »

...and the 4g reception on my old GS3 was going in and out, so I went ahead and got a new phone yesterday- the LG G3.  Seems pretty nice so far, but I'm still learning how to navigate LG's flavor of Android.  I was worried this phone would be too big- and it IS pretty large, but not as big as you would think a 5.5" phone would be.  Hopefully this phone will get better reception in Knoxville on gamedays, but I doubt it.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2014, 05:11:18 EDT »

Interesting.  I was going to ask what you think of the Samsung G5 compared to that phone, so....?

Also, do you know if Verizon is running any specials on tablets right now?

By the end of August, I need to:

1. Finish phasing out ANCIENT desktop (to laptop)
2. Replace laptop functionality with (my first) tablet
3. Upgrade phone and renegotiate contract on phone
4. Renegotiate Dish contract

Lots of IT activity in the BandiVOL household   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2014, 05:13:27 EDT »

And oh yeah...I am also going to replace my ANCIENT (2005 IPOD 2) Ipod with a nano or something.  Any recommendations?  Should I stick with IPOD or switch to MP3?  Can my Itune songs be converted to MP3?  It took forwever to rip all my CDs to Itunes.

Thanks!

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
VOLveeta
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2014, 05:59:27 EDT »

Hmmmph!

Best phone ever:  http://www.nokia.com/us-en/phones/phone/lumia928/
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2014, 10:10:24 EDT »

Interesting.  I was going to ask what you think of the Samsung G5 compared to that phone, so....?

Also, do you know if Verizon is running any specials on tablets right now?

By the end of August, I need to:

1. Finish phasing out ANCIENT desktop (to laptop)
2. Replace laptop functionality with (my first) tablet
3. Upgrade phone and renegotiate contract on phone
4. Renegotiate Dish contract

Lots of IT activity in the BandiVOL household  

Well, the specs on the GS5 and G3 are almost identical, so it really just comes down to personal preference.  I like the fact that LG didn't weigh down their phone with a bunch of bloatware (whereas Samsung is the KING of bloatware), plus it's just a better looking phone.  And my GS3 isn't really aging well, so I thought I'd give someone else a shot.  Really, in every area but the camera, the HTC One is better than either.  But its camera lags behind by a pretty significant margin.  If the camera isn't really important to you, I'd recommend the One.

As for tablets, I didn't look or ask if there were any specials.  Tab prices are usually set by the manufacturer and can't be discounted, so it's hard to find a better deal on one at any particular place.  Usually, the best deals can be found during the holidays, when a lot of retailers will be giving away gift cards with a tablet purchase.

And oh yeah...I am also going to replace my ANCIENT (2005 IPOD 2) Ipod with a nano or something.  Any recommendations?  Should I stick with IPOD or switch to MP3?  Can my Itune songs be converted to MP3?  It took forwever to rip all my CDs to Itunes.

Really depends on what you're looking for.  The dedicated music player is starting to go the way of the VCR, since your phone can usually do everything an iPod can do and more.  If you want sheer capacity, the iPod classic holds up to 160G- but it lacks bluetooth or any other wireless connectivity.  If you're just looking for a way to pump 20,000 songs through your car stereo, and you don't mind running wires to do so, the classic is the way to go.  The Nano gives you bluetooth, but only comes in 16G capacity.  And the Touch comes in 16, 32, or 64G, and is basically a smartphone without the phone.  But again, if you have a smartphone already, what's the point?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 10:17:33 EDT by Black Diamond Vol » Logged

73Volgrad
All-SEC

This is me on Liberty Island weekend before 9-11

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2014, 10:13:28 EDT »

Bandit
Your Ipod or Nano songs will be MP4 to play in Apple environment in ITunes. So you will have both MP3 files in your Music folder and MP4 files in your ITunes folder. You can import any MP3 file into ITunes.  You can burn any ITunes song onto a CD to play as music CD in your car or CD player. IPhone 5 has a 4" screen that is big enough.  If I want to watch TV program or a movie, I have a TV for that.

Do not know where you live, but I have IPhone 5 with LTE in West Knoxville and have never had a problem with reception, except in regions that are hidden from all cell towers. I was looking at the LG G3 early this month, but I do not know if it will connect with the Bluetooth in my cars (Nissan Maxima and Altima). I have handsfree dialing and answering that I am unsure will work with LG G3. I coerced AT&T a couple of months ago and got unlimited talk, text, and long distance, 2GB data (have never exceeded in 5 yrs), and dropped my monthly bill $20.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2014, 11:08:53 EDT »

Really depends on what you're looking for.  The dedicated music player is starting to go the way of the VCR, since your phone can usually do everything an iPod can do and more.  If you want sheer capacity, the iPod classic holds up to 160G- but it lacks bluetooth or any other wireless connectivity.  If you're just looking for a way to pump 20,000 songs through your car stereo, and you don't mind running wires to do so, the classic is the way to go.  The Nano gives you bluetooth, but only comes in 16G capacity.  And the Touch comes in 16, 32, or 64G, and is basically a smartphone without the phone.  But again, if you have a smartphone already, what's the point?

I agree...IPOD etc is getting obsolete.  OTOH, my phone battery runs down too quickly as it is, and I am a Droid guy all the way, so I was unsure if I could load Itune songs onto my Droid.  Also, I kind of want a dedicated machine other than my phone for work.  So I am considering an Itunes Nano or something just for work, especially if it's below $50.   I'll look into it.  Thanks.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2014, 11:09:42 EDT »

Bandit
Your Ipod or Nano songs will be MP4 to play in Apple environment in ITunes. So you will have both MP3 files in your Music folder and MP4 files in your ITunes folder. You can import any MP3 file into ITunes.  

So just to be clear, you are saying that if I have already imported all my music into ITunes I also have it in MP3? 

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2014, 12:13:42 EDT »

So just to be clear, you are saying that if I have already imported all my music into ITunes I also have it in MP3? 

If you're looking for iTunes simplicity on an Android phone, you need to download the Double Twist app to both your phone and PC.  It's pretty much an iTunes clone.  Once it's downloaded on your PC, you can automatically have it import all of your songs and playlists from iTunes.  Then, just plug in your phone, and it will autosync it as well, just like an iPod/iPhone. 

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2014, 06:32:15 EDT »

If you're looking for iTunes simplicity on an Android phone, you need to download the Double Twist app to both your phone and PC.  It's pretty much an iTunes clone.  Once it's downloaded on your PC, you can automatically have it import all of your songs and playlists from iTunes.  Then, just plug in your phone, and it will autosync it as well, just like an iPod/iPhone. 

Cool.  I'll have to leave a charger at work though.   

UT Mom
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2014, 02:53:14 EDT »

I guess from all the conversation that my flip phone I've had for maybe 10 years is out of date?   

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2014, 03:54:31 EDT »

BDV I went with the Samsung Galaxy S5.  Nice phone, though I do see what you mean about the bloatware.   

I may root it just get all the crap that Samsung put on it off....lol.

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2014, 04:07:28 EDT »

BDV I went with the Samsung Galaxy S5.  Nice phone, though I do see what you mean about the bloatware.  

I may root it just get all the crap that Samsung put on it off....lol.

If you don't want to void your warranty, you could download a 3rd party launcher app.  All that Samsung crap will still be there taking up hard drive space, but at least it won't be in your face front and center all the time.  I used Apex on my last phone and liked it pretty well, but there have been a lot more come out since then.

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/pictures-story/590-best-android-launchers.html
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 04:12:41 EDT by Black Diamond Vol » Logged

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2014, 05:10:07 EDT »

If you don't want to void your warranty, you could download a 3rd party launcher app.  All that Samsung crap will still be there taking up hard drive space, but at least it won't be in your face front and center all the time.  I used Apex on my last phone and liked it pretty well, but there have been a lot more come out since then.

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/pictures-story/590-best-android-launchers.html

Cool, thanks.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2014, 05:27:17 EDT »

That worked well.  No more Amazon in my face constantly.   

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2014, 05:29:22 EDT »

One thing that pissed me off is that I had to set up my messaging and decline various crap that Samsung tried to push on me.

If anything should work when the phone comes out of the box, it's the GD TEXT MESSAGING, for chrissake! I like the Apex supplied text message app much better. 

Here's for you Samsung....

EmerilVOL
Heisman

Its Tailgating Time in Tennessee (AGAIN)!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2014, 03:06:49 EDT »

Actually Veeta the Nokia is seen as below the LG G2/G3 due to some features that those two phones have such as the double tap and face recognition parts of its capabilities.  Just saying.

I made this post and I approved it.
EmerilVOL

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: