VTTW Board Index
May 05, 2024, 03:51:46 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: You know, with a lot of practice and hard work...  (Read 3062 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: August 10, 2016, 04:51:44 EDT »

...this Phelps kid might be decent swimmer someday.

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2016, 05:19:26 EDT »

21 Gold's....

Folks.....we will never see another like him while we are on this earth.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2016, 01:12:53 EDT »

21 Gold's....

Folks.....we will never see another like him while we are on this earth.

Well, Katie Ledecky is only 19, and she's on pace with Phelps at that age.  It remains to be seen if she can sustain it into her 30s like MP has though.  But she'll mix in some sprints with distance events that she already dominates, and she'll be in the mix for 7-8 medals at the next Olympics.

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2016, 03:29:23 EDT »

Damn.  I'm pretty sure Ledecky was up on the podium collecting her gold medal while the rest of the field was still finishing the race.

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2016, 03:57:51 EDT »

she'd be at mid pool going one direction and pass swimmers going the other way.....Just unreal.
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2016, 04:32:37 EDT »

I see where people are debating whether Phelps is the number one  athlete of all-time. It would be hard for me to put him ahead of Jordan, Pele and those that played team sports. He never had to worry about anyone impeding his progress. He didn't have to face a defense designed to shut him down. It is much easier for an individual sport athlete to dominate.

volsboyinsodak
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2016, 05:30:37 EDT »

I see where people are debating whether Phelps is the number one  athlete of all-time. It would be hard for me to put him ahead of Jordan, Pele and those that played team sports. He never had to worry about anyone impeding his progress. He didn't have to face a defense designed to shut him down. It is much easier for an individual sport athlete to dominate.

How dominant was he compared to other swimmers?  I think by that measure he may well be the greatest.  Jordan was great, but are Chamberlin, Russell, Bird, or Magic really that far behind?  I don't think so.  Not at all.

Kobe? That sorry fizzleer can't hold Michaels jock strap.  LeBron? Not so far behind.  But he's still playing. 

The point being, who is no. 2?  Mark Spitz?  A great swimmer, but Phelps is way, way ahead of that guy.  I know training has improved, and the ability to support yourself while training, but that's true for all swimmers.

I think comparatively the case for Phelps can be made.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2016, 06:36:53 EDT »

I think it's silly to compare athletes across sports.  Phelps is easily the greatest swimmer of all time, and you really can't make an argument for anyone else.  That's all that matters.

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2016, 05:26:10 EDT »

You know who has the easiest job at the Olympics?  Whoever is in charge of playing the various national anthems at the swimming venue.  Just cue up The Star Spangled Banner on opening night, leave it there, and collect your paycheck.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: