VTTW Board Index
May 17, 2024, 03:02:11 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My prediction, FWIW  (Read 2404 times)
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: December 07, 2012, 06:31:17 EST »

I will only say this once, then I will support Jones 100% and root for success with my usual overly optimistic spin.

This is just a WAG.  My guess is that Jones will have winning seasons and go to second tier bowls.  His best record will be 9 or 10 wins in a better than second tier bowl, but not BCS.  We will at least come close to making the SECCG and might even make it in that same year.  Then  in a rebuilding year a season or two later he will be let go and we will move on to the next coach.

Prediction over, won't mention it again.

Hope he does much better than that, but what I outline above is acceptable to me and much better than the last 5 years.  MUCH better.  
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 06:34:55 EST by BanditVol » Logged

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
WoodstockVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2012, 06:34:03 EST »

I will only say this once, then I will support Jones 100% and root for success with my usual overly optimistic spin.

This is just a WAG.  My guess is that Jones will have winning seasons and go to second tier bowls.  His best record will be 9 or 10 wins in a better than second tier bowl, but not BCS.  We will at least come close to making the SECCG and might even make it in that same year.  Then  in a rebuilding year  as season or two later he will be let go and we will move on to the next coach.

Hope he does much better than that, but what I outline above is acceptable to me and much better than the last 5 years.  MUCH better. 

I think Tennessee will be stuck at 3rd or 4th place in the East for a while. Hopefully with hard work,Tennessee can leap over USC for 3rd place

Lets go Braves,win the National League East!

LETS GO VOLS,KICK SEC A&& IN 2013!!!
Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 06:57:45 EST »

We just need better players and more of them than we have had. He has to be a better coach.
FranklinVol
Special Teamer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2012, 07:24:50 EST »

This is just a WAG.  My guess is that Jones will have winning seasons and go to second tier bowls.  His best record will be 9 or 10 wins in a better than second tier bowl, but not BCS.  We will at least come close to making the SECCG and might even make it in that same year.  Then  in a rebuilding year a season or two later he will be let go and we will move on to the next coach.

Hope he does much better than that, but what I outline above is acceptable to me and much better than the last 5 years.  MUCH better.  

This  pretty much matches up with my expectations.  We will move from a bottom tier SEC team (where we have been last 2 years) to a 2nd teir team. That is imporvement.
73Volgrad
All-SEC

This is me on Liberty Island weekend before 9-11

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2012, 07:34:53 EST »

If he follows form, he will be go in three years to another program.  Face it, if he can turn this program around into a 9-win program in 3 years, some school will make a run at him and buy him out. The way salaries and TV is going, some school will pay $4M to steal him away. Louisville just paid Strong $4M.

So no, I do not think he gets fired unless he plateaus at 7-8 wins. He has a good enough talent base here that with ANY coaching ability at all, he can win 6 games next year or maybe 7.  More than that, he will be a miracle worker.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2012, 08:04:11 EST »

If he follows form, he will be go in three years to another program.  Face it, if he can turn this program around into a 9-win program in 3 years, some school will make a run at him and buy him out. The way salaries and TV is going, some school will pay $4M to steal him away. Louisville just paid Strong $4M.

So no, I do not think he gets fired unless he plateaus at 7-8 wins. He has a good enough talent base here that with ANY coaching ability at all, he can win 6 games next year or maybe 7.  More than that, he will be a miracle worker.

Really?  Where would he go, that would pay him top $$$ just for winning 9 games at UT?   Is that really a huge selling point?   Did Petrino, who has a reputation for job jumping, leave Arkansas or show any sign after winning 10 games 2 years ago?  Did Richt ever go anywhere?  I don't follow the logic.  And UT can outbid just about anyone out there, if we really want to keep him.

I agree that we should win at least 6-7 games next year, but 7 is really the standard he needs to set.

And to be clear, I am not saying he gets fired for winning 9 games, just that I think that might be his peak.  But I really hope I am wrong!   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: