VTTW Board Index
May 02, 2024, 12:18:08 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Color me unimpressed with the staff being assembled  (Read 3353 times)
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« on: December 09, 2012, 04:13:47 EST »

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2012, 04:46:27 EST »

I'm cool with him picking his own guys, BUT they better be better than Chaney and Pittman. If not his leash got a lot shorter. I'm pulling for him to excel, but this decision looks curious. You can't just hire your buddies at UT.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2012, 02:07:09 EST »

I really don't care who he gets as long as they produce results.
TheRealOrange
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2012, 03:08:28 EST »

What a shock!    Dude, you are the anti-Jones and have flatly stated that you expect him to fail.  So, I doubt there is much he can or will do that will impress you unless/until he starts winning.  That, obviously, is the key for everyone.  But, I couldn't care less if he comes in with all his own people.  They have helped him succeed in the past, so common sense says he believes in them.  I hope Jay Graham is retained, but none of this will be important if the Vols get turned around.  He has my full support until he shows he doesn't deserve it.  And, since I am not into recruiting, I'll wait until he either wins or doesn't win at least 7 games in 2013.   
FranklinVol
Special Teamer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2012, 03:36:30 EST »

This is still cookin so no way to tell yet.  But i will say that i was underwhelmed with the potential staff list Hubbs was circulating - as per TOS.  Way way too light on proven recruiters. If that were the final list it would not be the staff promised in jones' presser...
WoodstockVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2012, 03:50:22 EST »

Head Coaches hire people they know and who They worked with for their Coaching staffs. It happens all the time,everywhere.

Lets go Braves,win the National League East!

LETS GO VOLS,KICK SEC A&& IN 2013!!!
FranklinVol
Special Teamer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2012, 04:07:38 EST »

Yup. That is common practice and i have no issue with an element of the staff being hired for system continuity. That is important. BUT to assemble a staff that is gonna get us where we need and deserve to be we're gonna need some all star recruiters and some great teachers.  Look this is a top 10 national program in the SEC. This job literally fell out of the sky and crushed DD. jones looks and sounds like a football coach and he has a great track record ...in the MAC and the Big East. That is a big improvement but i have huge heartburn about us getting Peter Principled here. Having ace recruiters that have a track record of winnin the recruiting battles in a big time conference is key to our future success.. The staff is not anywhere close to finished.. We will see..
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 04:11:26 EST by FranklinVol » Logged
Creek Walker
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2012, 04:12:56 EST »

I want to see Jones hire a couple of guys who are solid, proven recruiters in the South and I think it's paramount to his success here. With that said, Dooley hired what was, by most accounts, a very good staff. Obviously he and they did not work well together and the end result was failure. I would rather see Jones hire people he is comfortable with.
WoodstockVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2012, 04:15:09 EST »

Yup. That is common practice and i have no issue with an element of the staff being hired for system continuity. That is important. BUT to assemble a staff that is gonna get us where we need and deserve to be we're gonna need some all star recruiters and some great teachers.  Look this is a top 10 national program in the SEC. This job literally fell out of the sky and crushed DD. jones looks and sounds like a football coach and he has a great track record ...in the MAC and the Big East. That is a big improvement but i have huge heartburn about us getting Peter Principled here. Having ace recruiters that have a track record of winnin the recruiting battles in a big time conference is key to our future success.. The staff is not anywhere close to finished.. We will see..

Maybe more former Tennessee players can be on the staff in the future. Turnover happens,sometimes Assistant Coaches don't like the area and leave. It might happen with Butch Jones staff since most of Them are from the upper Midwest

Lets go Braves,win the National League East!

LETS GO VOLS,KICK SEC A&& IN 2013!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: