VTTW Board Index
May 09, 2024, 10:15:44 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So....biggest win since???  (Read 7243 times)
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: October 12, 2015, 07:32:50 EDT »

A case could be made that Butch Jones win over USC in 2013, when they were # 11, was bigger, but I doubt anyone would buy that.  USC just historically is not as big a game for UT and  uga is more of a brand name in CFB.

Initially I thought there was a case for Kiffin's 45-19 win over uga in 2009, but uga was not even ranked when Kiffin beat them, which is good, because I would not want to give him any credit anyway.

A good case can be made for Fulmer's win over Georgia in 2007.  It was a win that helped get us to the SECC and Georgia was ranked 12th at the time. 

There are plenty of other games.....# 9 Cal 2006, Florida or Uga in 2004 (I had forgotten Uga was no. 3 in that game), the OT thriller at bammer in 2003, the win over Miami that same year.  I think a good case can be made for all those games being bigger.  And oh yeah....LSU was no. 3 in 2005 when we came from behind.  In terms of all time epic wins, Fulmer's win in the swamp that might have helped SOS move on was truly epic.

I'm going with biggest win since uga 2007. 

I just hope Jones' post-game comment is right and this is the "first of many".   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2015, 02:28:43 EDT »

SC in 2013 was big. This was probably bigger, if only because UGA is a much bigger rival and we hadn't beaten any of the big 3 (UF, UGA, Bammer) since 2009.

I'm not sure this UGA team is any better than the 09 team, so I'm not sure it's a better "quality" win despite them being ranked. But at that time we weren't so far removed from wins over good teams, and now . . . well, we know what the last 5 years have looked like. This was huge because we so badly needed to end the drought. With that in mind it's pretty hard to decide what the last win bigger than this would have been.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2015, 05:13:55 EDT »

SC in 2013 was big. This was probably bigger, if only because UGA is a much bigger rival and we hadn't beaten any of the big 3 (UF, UGA, Bammer) since 2009.

I'm not sure this UGA team is any better than the 09 team, so I'm not sure it's a better "quality" win despite them being ranked. But at that time we weren't so far removed from wins over good teams, and now . . . well, we know what the last 5 years have looked like. This was huge because we so badly needed to end the drought. With that in mind it's pretty hard to decide what the last win bigger than this would have been.

Yep.  If you look at as "big wins given the state of our program", this one was huge. 

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Creek Walker
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2015, 05:17:14 EDT »

I think you go back to UGA '07 to find a win this big. It was an upset win and put UT on the inside track for the SECCG.

As good as USCe was in 2013, no one got very excited about that one because, well, it was USCe. This is our first win over the trio of UF/Bama/UGA since 2009, so it was desperately needed. I imagine it's the first time in school history -- at least in the modern era -- that we went so long without beating one of our three biggest rivals.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2015, 05:34:54 EDT »

The way it's been around here the past several years any win against a team with a pulse is a big win. Like some, it's hard for me to say a win against USC is a big win because IMO we should win at least 8 out of 10 against them. 2013 was different because we needed a win over ANY ranked team at that point.

Agree with the 2007 UGA game.....I'd say the last off the chart win was Miami 2003.
RIPLEYVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2015, 05:48:15 EDT »

The way it's been around here the past several years any win against a team with a pulse is a big win. Like some, it's hard for me to say a win against USC is a big win because IMO we should win at least 8 out of 10 against them. 2013 was different because we needed a win over ANY ranked team at that point.

Agree with the 2007 UGA game.....I'd say the last off the chart win was Miami 2003.

It was fun watching the VOLS end the canes long winning streak at home that we got to hear
about around 100 times from the commentators.
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2015, 07:03:16 EDT »

Bowling Green if you ask me. UGa is a dumpster fire. Not as good as they were ranked.

volsboyinsodak
Creek Walker
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2015, 07:11:46 EDT »

Bowling Green if you ask me. UGa is a dumpster fire. Not as good as they were ranked.

I'm shocked. Shocked, I tell ya.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2015, 07:22:04 EDT »

That's not a serious response

volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2015, 07:39:14 EDT »

That's not a serious response
It was a tongue in cheek response. But it remains to be seen how many losses UGa ends up with. The Dawgs without Chubb is not the same team. I will think the worm is turned if we beat Bama. They demolished the Dawgs.

volsboyinsodak
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2015, 07:43:53 EDT »

That was true last year as well. That lousy Florida team we should have beaten last year, which was still coached by the caveman Muschamp, crushed uga 38-20 later in the year.

It seems uga is overated just about every year.  They have not won the East since 2012 but they still manage to get ranked every year.  The way CFB works is that once a reputation is established, it takes a while to change.  Reporters and other voters are always looking backward.

But get this...uga was overated last year, they were overated this year, but....WE BEAT THEM THIS YEAR!

That's progress right there bubba.   

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2015, 01:20:27 EDT »

That was true last year as well. That lousy Florida team we should have beaten last year, which was still coached by the caveman Muschamp, crushed uga 38-20 later in the year.

It seems uga is overated just about every year.  They have not won the East since 2012 but they still manage to get ranked every year.  The way CFB works is that once a reputation is established, it takes a while to change.  Reporters and other voters are always looking backward.

But get this...uga was overated last year, they were overated this year, but....WE BEAT THEM THIS YEAR!

That's progress right there bubba.   
Talent wise they are not overrated IMO, though they are a bit young on defense this year.  However, CMR always tends to pull a loss out of the hat at least once a year.

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2015, 02:47:50 EDT »

Talent wise they are not overrated IMO, though they are a bit young on defense this year.  However, CMR always tends to pull a loss out of the hat at least once a year.

Oh they are very talented. Still more than us in fact. But logic is lost on some. If the bottom line is winning we won.

crockettman
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2015, 08:16:15 EDT »

2006..When we went to Athens and were down big first half like 20 something to 13ish and came back and spanked them hard..like 54-37? And they turned off the score board as soon as the game ended and two UGA fans were arrested for fighting each other in the parking lot after their disappointing beat down..lol
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2015, 12:04:13 EDT »

2006..When we went to Athens and were down big first half like 20 something to 13ish and came back and spanked them hard..like 54-37? And they turned off the score board as soon as the game ended and two UGA fans were arrested for fighting each other in the parking lot after their disappointing beat down..lol
Final score 51-33

The puppies were up 24-7 with 4:50 left in the half and the VOLS drove down and Foster scored (1st of his 3 on the night) TDs to bring us within 10 just before the half and then we lit it up in the 2nd half.  We were still trailing going into the 4th when we scored, then blocked the punt early in the 4th.

After spending the night high fiving the blimp driver Emeril and I joined the orange faithful who out numbered the puppy (non band wagon) fans at the end.  Afterwards a most enjoyable walk through downtown Athens where the puppy students were too despondent to say anything.

A very enjoyable night

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
EmerilVOL
Heisman

Its Tailgating Time in Tennessee (AGAIN)!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2015, 01:03:39 EDT »

Final score 51-33

The puppies were up 24-7 with 4:50 left in the half and the VOLS drove down and Foster scored (1st of his 3 on the night) TDs to bring us within 10 just before the half and then we lit it up in the 2nd half.  We were still trailing going into the 4th when we scored, then blocked the punt early in the 4th.

After spending the night high fiving the blimp driver Emeril and I joined the orange faithful who out numbered the puppy (non band wagon) fans at the end.  Afterwards a most enjoyable walk through downtown Athens where the puppy students were too despondent to say anything.

A very enjoyable night

And Judy Jackson telling me to tell Dawg fans "we just beat yer ass" 

I made this post and I approved it.
EmerilVOL

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: