VTTW Board Index
May 21, 2024, 11:44:26 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I don't understand our running schemes  (Read 4126 times)
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« on: September 18, 2011, 08:22:51 EDT »

Why are we not trying something other than that run up the middle with RBs that are too slow and can't break tackles? The OL is not run blocking well, how about trying a reverse, or something to the ourtside with Neal? Devrin Young?

I don't think Poole will get much running up the middle vs teams like LSU or Bama, and now with Hunter out, you just double Da'Rick.
WoodstockVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2011, 08:27:06 EDT »

Im thinking that our running problems are due to youth,I'm not prepared to say OL coaching yet.

Lets go Braves,win the National League East!

LETS GO VOLS,KICK SEC A&& IN 2013!!!
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2011, 08:32:26 EDT »

Why are we not trying something other than that run up the middle with RBs that are too slow and can't break tackles? The OL is not run blocking well, how about trying a reverse, or something to the ourtside with Neal? Devrin Young?

I don't think Poole will get much running up the middle vs teams like LSU or Bama, and now with Hunter out, you just double Da'Rick.

We ran off tackle twice, that I remember, yesterday and both gained 5-10 yards.

We attempted one trap that I saw and Stone was far too slow covering the pulling guards man, resulted in a 3-4 yard loss.

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2011, 11:08:39 EDT »

What i cant understsnd is how Poole has regressed so far compared to last year.  He was breaking off some good long runs against the likes of Oregon and Bama.  But this year he's running like a fullback.
Cobbvol
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2011, 11:58:07 EDT »

After Hunter went down, Florida was attacking the gaps and not worrying about holding them. I thought coming into this game we would have a series of screens to run against their anticipated attacking defense. I don't think we have thrown one all year. With a screen, you slow the defense down and with it slowed down you have a good chance to run against them since the are "on their heels". A great example is what Florida did to us in the first series. Any aggression we thought we had was diluted after their first two plays which were screens.

Now time to heal, practice to get better, and modify the passing game minus Hunter.
Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2011, 01:34:54 EDT »

What i cant understsnd is how Poole has regressed so far compared to last year.  He was breaking off some good long runs against the likes of Oregon and Bama.  But this year he's running like a fullback.

Poole got too big in the weight room and lost his burst and agility IMHO.
3beans
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2011, 03:02:28 EDT »

After Hunter went down, Florida was attacking the gaps and not worrying about holding them. I thought coming into this game we would have a series of screens to run against their anticipated attacking defense. I don't think we have thrown one all year. With a screen, you slow the defense down and with it slowed down you have a good chance to run against them since the are "on their heels". A great example is what Florida did to us in the first series. Any aggression we thought we had was diluted after their first two plays which were screens.

This is what I have said many times.  Also, I hope it's not lost on everyone that when we played ND in 95 (I think) and Wiess was the head coach, he opened their first series with several screens in a row just to slow down the pass rush.  It worked then.  It worked on Saturday.  You would think some film work would of given our D a heads up. Also the back out of the backfield would of been a great play to use.  Poole is suppose to have good hands and it would of given him the ball away from the LOS which was blocked up all day.
73Volgrad
All-SEC

This is me on Liberty Island weekend before 9-11

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2011, 03:17:10 EDT »

Evert team is run blitzing and filling the gaps.  The only times the OL has fired straight ahead and not tried this stupid zone blocking finesse crap, they knocked teams back.  Zone blocking works in the NFL and for teams that have O-lineman that have been in the system for several years.  You also need a fast cut-back runner who knows a hole from an opposing player.  UT's o-line just appears to be thinking too much about what they should be doing and do not look natural at all.  They are not working as a unit and we will not be able to run well until they do,  I hear all the time on NFL network that lineman have to be some of the smartest players on the team.  If that is the case, UT is just not playing very smart.  Dooley said earlier this year the players need to stop thinking and just do it. 
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2011, 04:47:18 EDT »

Evert team is run blitzing and filling the gaps.  The only times the OL has fired straight ahead and not tried this stupid zone blocking finesse crap, they knocked teams back.  Zone blocking works in the NFL and for teams that have O-lineman that have been in the system for several years.  You also need a fast cut-back runner who knows a hole from an opposing player.  UT's o-line just appears to be thinking too much about what they should be doing and do not look natural at all.  They are not working as a unit and we will not be able to run well until they do,  I hear all the time on NFL network that lineman have to be some of the smartest players on the team.  If that is the case, UT is just not playing very smart.  Dooley said earlier this year the players need to stop thinking and just do it. 

INteresting points.  I have heard the story about the OL being the smartest players the whole time I have followed football.  It's a bit of a stereotype actually.  If you are right about the zone blocking being the issue, maybe the staff can simplify things a bit.

I want to add that while I think Chaney is a passing genius, I have never been that impressed with his running game.  Maybe he should let the running back coach and OL coach run that part of it.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2011, 04:50:46 EDT »

What is really discouraging about our running game is how long the problem has persisted. With a few exceptions (first half of the Oregon game), our running game was non-existent last year and a big reason for the 2-6 start. We just didn't need to run the ball to beat Ole Miss, Memphis, Vandy and UK...but then the absence of a run game cost us a win in the Music City Bowl.

This year we're having the same problem. Our running backs aren't world-class, but they aren't terrible. Our offensive line isn't world-class, but it isn't terrible (and is actually pretty darned talented, if a bit young). I think Cheney is a good coach and a good coordinator, but our problems on the ground are puzzling and troubling.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: