VTTW Board Index
May 12, 2024, 03:22:38 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why was the Army/Navy game moved from Philly to Baltimore?  (Read 7626 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: December 10, 2016, 07:03:12 EST »

Seems like that would be a pretty big homefield advantage for Navy.  They're only, what, 20 miles away?

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2016, 07:11:40 EST »

Yep.  Basically a home game for Navy.  Since my father is a Navy guy, I'm all for it. 

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2016, 07:13:57 EST »

Apparently DoD decided to shop it around...it seems to be a popular idea and is likely a positive for recruiting. (to the military, not their respective teams  )

http://www.bizjournals.com/baltimore/news/2016/12/08/future-army-navy-games-draws-interest-from.html

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2016, 07:18:18 EST »

I don't really care, they can play their little consolation game wherever they want.  As long as the CIC Trophy stays at The Springs.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2016, 07:20:18 EST by Black Diamond Vol » Logged

HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2016, 08:23:25 EST »

This is a power play with the city of Philadelphia to see how much they really want the game to stay there. 

Over the last decade plus that I have been paying attention for obvious reasons, the game has been i Philly for 3, then somewhere else for a year - Baltimore a couple of times, and at FedEx in Landover - then back in Philly for 3 years. 

As for being in Navy's "back yard, while it is, they still split the tickets 50/50 and since grads from both Academies live all over the world, that's really not "home" advantage to have it in Baltimore or Landover. 

In past years, Army/Navy games have also been played at MetLife, in Dallas, and a couple of other cities.

But when all is said and done, from what it being talked about they will still play in Philly at least 2 our of every 4 years.  As is the case with just about everything these days, it's about the $$$$$$. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2016, 08:27:43 EST »

Well its still a small advanTage to Navy because they don't have to travel.

My second of the three is Army since I work on an Army base.  Air Force is last. 

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2016, 08:34:59 EST »

GO NAVY!!
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2016, 08:35:43 EST »

My second of the three is Army since I work on an Army base.  Air Force is last. 
Please ignore that droning Charlie-130 over your head, he means well ...

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2016, 08:49:52 EST »

Pssssst:   Army actually flies in to Baltimore from Stewart.  It's no big deal to get on an airplane.  In fact, many of those guys have already jumped out of airplanes and helicopters.  It's not like they are the guys Butch recruits who apparently are traumatized by flying.   

And Navy travels to and stays in a hotel in Baltimore for the weekend. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2016, 08:56:47 EST »

It would be cool to see the game go on a CONUS tour so to speak - Jerry's world in Dallas, PHX, the new stadium in LA, Santa Clara, the new Ga Dome, etc. 

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2016, 10:22:55 EST »

Poor backup Navy QB is just bad....Army if you are going to break the streak today is the day.
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2016, 10:29:31 EST »

Poor backup Navy QB is just bad....Army if you are going to break the streak today is the day.

Army has been in a similar position a couple of times during this streak.  I feel for you guys, but as Al Davis used to say, just win baby, and especially when you've lost 14 in a row. 

But -  Not counting any chickens at this point.  Army can turn it over 3 or 4 plays in a row, themselves.  This team has been either real good or real bad all year long.  This game is far from over. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2016, 10:39:59 EST »

Navy defense reminds me of UTs.....haven't stopped them on the edge all day.
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2016, 11:27:19 EST »

As I was saying about coming out and turning it over ................................ 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2016, 12:25:19 EST »

Congrats ARMY!!!! You deserved it.

I can understand a backup QB not playing well but Navy's defense was gosh awful and never protected the edges all game.
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2016, 12:51:57 EST »

Well, it looks like all of that traveling really hurt Army today.  Navy just had such a huge advantage.   

Honestly, as an Army fan I am feeling more relief than glee right now.  The streak if finally over.  And yep, I will be having a cigar in a few minutes.   

Go Army - Beat Navy!
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2016, 12:55:16 EST »

Pssssst:   Army actually flies in to Baltimore from Stewart.  It's no big deal to get on an airplane.  In fact, many of those guys have already jumped out of airplanes and helicopters.  It's not like they are the guys Butch recruits who apparently are traumatized by flying.   

And Navy travels to and stays in a hotel in Baltimore for the weekend. 

Still away from the Academy

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2016, 12:56:35 EST »

Well, it looks like all of that traveling really hurt Army today.  Navy just had such a huge advantage.   

Honestly, as an Army fan I am feeling more relief than glee right now.  The streak if finally over.  And yep, I will be having a cigar in a few minutes.   

LOL!  You must still be butt hurt from some of my past zingers.   Thanks for the chuckle.   

HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2016, 12:58:53 EST »

Still away from the Academy

Yeah, I knew you didn't really understand how it works.  

Army normally only plays 4, maybe 5 "true" home games per year at West Point.  They play a lot of neutral site and road game.  

Go Army - Beat Navy!
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2016, 01:01:21 EST »

LOL!  You must still be butt hurt from some of my past zingers.   Thanks for the chuckle.   

Zingers? Only in your mind.   

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: