VTTW Board Index
May 12, 2024, 11:37:22 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Heupel is 22-9 so far  (Read 727 times)
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: October 12, 2023, 01:47:15 EDT »

That's a 0.710 win percentage.

Here is how that compares to our coaches of the last (almost) 50 years (the coaches I have followed anyway     ):

Poot            0.200 (including vacated wins)
Poot            0.457 (on the field)
Botch Jones 0.557
Dulley         0.417
Lame          0.538
Fulmer        0.745
Majors        0.659

I'm feeling pretty good about the Heupel era so far.   

I think we have a great chance to win this weekend. If we play as well as we did vs. S Carolina...

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2023, 02:58:40 EDT »

That is extremely impressive. He inherited nothing proven.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2023, 03:14:50 EDT »

That is extremely impressive. He inherited nothing proven.

yup.  The program was in shambles.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2023, 10:28:39 EDT »

How good of a coach do y'all think he is? Will he have us competing for SECc's every year? If not, he won't be good enough. I think he is better than average. Just got to quit having those games where we sizzle the bed like USCe last year and UF this year. He also needs to spend more time on the defensive side of the ball. Plus, he is the guy that started Milton over Hooker last year. Don't recall any team that runs his preference of offense winning too many titles. He is a damn sight better than the last 4 coaches we have had. Can't tell if he is better than Kiffin or not yet. I do like to watch when the offense is rolling. But it will take a better QB than Milton to make it hum. Would you put him in the top 5 or top 10 in the SEC? Looking at some of Heupels past coaching stops, none of those teams played much D either. It is improving though. Let him get his recruits he needs and we will see.

volsboyinsodak
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2023, 10:34:26 EDT »

How good of a coach do y'all think he is? Will he have us competing for SECc's every year? If not, he won't be good enough. I think he is better than average. Just got to quit having those games where we sizzle the bed like USCe last year and UF this year. He also needs to spend more time on the defensive side of the ball. Plus, he is the guy that started Milton over Hooker last year. Don't recall any team that runs his preference of offense winning too many titles. He is a damn sight better than the last 4 coaches we have had. Can't tell if he is better than Kiffin or not yet. I do like to watch when the offense is rolling. But it will take a better QB than Milton to make it hum. Would you put him in the top 5 or top 10 in the SEC? Looking at some of Heupels past coaching stops, none of those teams played much D either. It is improving though. Let him get his recruits he needs and we will see.

This is a really odd time to post this response, near the end of the Tamu game tied 7-7, but you did not see an earlier post from me to the effect that we are 24th in scoring D and 27th in yards allowed, both HUGE improvements over last year, even counting the fact that we have played a lot of weak teams.

Agree that we need to do away with the anomalies like Junior and UF this year. Still pissed about that UF game.

You are also correct that he is head and shoulders over Dooley, Jones, and Poot. My take on him vs. Kiffin...open question with 2023 Kiffin, but definitely better than 2009 Kiffin. Kiffin has improved and I for one was never that impressed with the 2009 season, we were only 7-6 and although there were a couple nice wins, there were also some embarrassing losses.

Anyway, Go VOLS! 

volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2023, 11:07:16 EDT »

I'll take that defensive ranking with a grain of salt. We haven't played a really good offensive team yet. We have some tough sledding coming up, ranked teams everywhere. Where did that Missouri team come from? I do like Heupel. I met a cousin of his in a Fleet Farm store here. He said Josh is a good man. Plus Josh came from Aberdeen SD. So he is a local hero to these SoDak folks.

volsboyinsodak
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2023, 11:35:54 EDT »

Heupel 's offense seems to sputter too much against teams with a defense that is adequateor better

volsboyinsodak
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2023, 11:40:32 EDT »

I'll take that defensive ranking with a grain of salt. We haven't played a really good offensive team yet. We have some tough sledding coming up, ranked teams everywhere. Where did that Missouri team come from? I do like Heupel. I met a cousin of his in a Fleet Farm store here. He said Josh is a good man. Plus Josh came from Aberdeen SD. So he is a local hero to these SoDak folks.

I figured you would say that.  Grain of salt, sure.  But for contrast, we were 126th in pass D last year and are 27th this year.  An improvement THAT BIG is not all schedule, we are better.  Period, dot.

JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2023, 03:58:30 EDT »

https://x.com/briancrice/status/1713370899737350544?s=46&t=nz6CBvyAtXmX_stjSCEfAA

And then there?s this:  https://x.com/briancrice/status/1713370901511549117?s=46&t=nz6CBvyAtXmX_stjSCEfAA
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2023, 04:49:56 EDT »

Over 1500 likes on that. I enjoy seeing him melt down.

FLVOL
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2023, 05:09:46 EDT »

Over 1500 likes on that. I enjoy seeing him melt down.

I predict him utilizing the stairs again on Tuesday 😂😂😂

11B4PJ3F7
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2023, 05:12:27 EDT »

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2023, 05:19:06 EDT »

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: